The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hilltops Hayseed "Bubba"

I had the privilege and pleasure to be judging the open on the weekend that Bubba won the derby and the open. He's an awesome dog
    Brooks Gibson

Bad things happen when you ask common dogs to do uncommon things.

John used to train at Brad Smith's in the spring and I had the opportunity to train with him. I also watched him win the Open at Sooner which I think titled him. He smoked a waterblind from hell that required a long entry where you had to give the dog a cast and he went out of sight for about eight seconds. He was either in the water or out of the blind. Most failed it but Bubba took a beautiful line and smoked it in three whistles. Bubba was a good marker, not a big dog if I recall, but very smart. Brad liked to set up real hard stuff that would eat dogs up. He set one mark up that was damn near impossible. We had been trying to do this for several days and John showed up. We ran our dogs on it and they failed miserably again, and Brad asked John if he wanted to try it and John said, "No, that's all right. Why should I think he can do that if it's that damn hard!" We all had a big laugh about it. John was a smart trainer, and Bubba was a solid dog. I don't remember him being a fire breather, but ran well, swam well and hunted in a tight pattern. Basically everything you want in a good dog that handles well....
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim West View Post
    John used to train at Brad Smith's in the spring and I had the opportunity to train with him. I also watched him win the Open at Sooner which I think titled him. He smoked a waterblind from hell that required a long entry where you had to give the dog a cast and he went out of sight for about eight seconds. He was either in the water or out of the blind. Most failed it but Bubba took a beautiful line and smoked it in three whistles. Bubba was a good marker, not a big dog if I recall, but very smart. Brad liked to set up real hard stuff that would eat dogs up. He set one mark up that was damn near impossible. We had been trying to do this for several days and John showed up. We ran our dogs on it and they failed miserably again, and Brad asked John if he wanted to try it and John said, "No, that's all right. Why should I think he can do that if it's that damn hard!" We all had a big laugh about it. John was a smart trainer, and Bubba was a solid dog. I don't remember him being a fire breather, but ran well, swam well and hunted in a tight pattern. Basically everything you want in a good dog that handles well....
    I love to hear dogs who understand and do their own things on what they have learned and put us in our own world......

The black female in my avatar photo is a Bubba daughter. Wouldn't give her up for anything. Once in a lifetime dog.
    Andrea Wolfe

Home of:
    Rebels River Raider (FC AFC Rebel With A Cause X FC AFC Yellowstone's TNT Explosion daughter)

Kodiak's Rocky Mountain Rebel SH (3/4 sister to Raider)

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

I have had 2 Bubba daughters. Both were hellofa dogs. My Baby dawg was the best marking dog I have seen bar none. Her daughter Voodoo sired by my Maxx was really coming on strong for 4in JH) when I unfortunately lost her to torsion. Right now is the first time that I don't have a dog in my kennel that does not carry Bubba blood. May have to check about breeding a Maxx X Rudy female I have to him to get the Bubba back....
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

I have followed this thread for some time, but have never posted. Recent happenings prompt me to finally post. I had a son of Bubba, via a breeder/trainer in Northern Indiana. He passed away Saturday after a long 14 1/2 year life. He was a happy and friendly dog that had an outstanding personality, was a joy to hunt with and was part of our family. Wea Creek Rascal (Mack) looked a great deal like Bubba and I will always consider myself blessed to have had him as my hunting buddy and part of our family. Glad this thread exists.

Hustle or Hustle Bug or NMHx4 High Mileage Hilltops Hustle MNHx5 GMHR MH (ca22) MH (94)

Hustle !

The Heart Dog- he stays in the side yard now where we can see him as we exit the house or coming up the drive

Hustle - the pick pup at 600. Shipped in from Kermit and Nancy and all we asked was for a good pup and we got Hustle
    Hustle - with a bad hip and auto immune disease and still whomever comes to our kennel is compared to Hustle

We tried to breed our Faith to Bubba but it didnt take
    If a breeding with Bubba comes along please call
    Dk

Tim, I had the pleasure of judging Bubba in the open at Bluegrass Ret. Club with Harold Bruninga (my friend and deceased) on the weekend he won the open and derby. He was a pleasure to watch.
    Brooks Gibson

Bad things happen when you ask common dogs to do uncommon things.

The ones (Bubba sired offspring.) I have watched are usually good markers. Then there's the lights out marker in Gracie. Oh to have one with a set of peepers like her.

For those interested, I may have a yellow female pup available from my Bubba daughter. She'll be ready for a new home this summer. Looks like she'll be a darker yellow.
    Andrea Wolfe

Home of:
    Rebels River Raider (FC AFC Rebel With A Cause X FC AFC Yellowstone's TNT Explosion daughter)

Kodiak's Rocky Mountain Rebel SH (3/4 sister to Raider)