RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Hilltops Hayseed "Bubba"

19K views 50 replies 32 participants last post by  1 Big B 
#1 ·
I am looking for info, stories about Bubba (the dog) and his offspring. Anyone who saw him run or trained with him I would love to hear about him and what he was like.

Thanks

#31 ·
I've got a few pics of Hilltops Hayseed..Bubba...Tim, My Bubba ..Son of Hilltops Hayseed was bred by Paul Amesquita. He called me the other day...and we had a lovely talk. He lived not too far from the Hilltop Kennel and took several pics of Bubba and his female(Your Ely's Grandmum) while she was there being bred to Bubba...
All nice Pics...

#34 ·
So Sorry Joe, Didn't mean to exclude you....Send me your email in a PM...and I'll send em on to you..as Your Special Guy "JR" is "One of the Gang"!!! Also sounds like Longevity is in the Gene Pool. My Bubba at 11 is still a go get er...and hardly a gray hair.
Karen

#36 ·
Greg,
Sent you the pics...Enjoy and Kisses to Butch!

#38 ·
Hello,

I purchased one of Bubba's pups some 16 years ago. His registered name is Hayseeds Laker. (a gentleman brought him to us in Edina from Grinnell Iowa.)
I'm no longer able to locate his paperwork but he was born (as best I remember) in July. He's yellow and had amazing stamina in his younger days. He was never involved in field competition but was our family dog, a tremendous pheasant dog, very fast learner and would stay in the water at our cabin for hours on-end.
A couple pictures on the wed page are a dead ringer of him. If I didn't know better, I'd say the pictures were of him.
I'm saddened the sun's setting fast for him. He's hands down the best dog I've ever owned.

#39 ·
Bubba would climb a tree rather than run around it. I have seen that in several of his pups, as well.

JS

#40 ·
To Sporty.... 16 years, just WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!!!! And what an incredible life he is living! Good on ya!

#42 ·
John used to train at Brad Smith's in the spring and I had the opportunity to train with him. I also watched him win the Open at Sooner which I think titled him. He smoked a waterblind from hell that required a long entry where you had to give the dog a cast and he went out of sight for about eight seconds. He was either in the water or out of the blind. Most failed it but Bubba took a beautiful line and smoked it in three whistles. Bubba was a good marker, not a big dog if I recall, but very smart. Brad liked to set up real hard stuff that would eat dogs up. He set one mark up that was damn near impossible. We had been trying to do this for several days and John showed up. We ran our dogs on it and they failed miserably again, and Brad asked John if he wanted to try it and John said, "No, that's all right. Why should I think he can do that if it's that damn hard!" We all had a big laugh about it. John was a smart trainer, and Bubba was a solid dog. I don't remember him being a fire breather, but ran well, swam well and hunted in a tight pattern. Basically everything you want in a good dog that handles well....

#44 ·
The black female in my avatar photo is a Bubba daughter. Wouldn't give her up for anything. Once in a lifetime dog.

#45 ·
I have had 2 Bubba daughters. Both were hellofa dogs. My Baby dawg was the best marking dog I have seen bar none. Her daughter Voodoo sired by my Maxx was really coming on strong for 4in JH) when I unfortunately lost her to torsion. Right now is the first time that I don't have a dog in my kennel that does not carry Bubba blood. May have to check about breeding a Maxx X Rudy female I have to him to get the Bubba back....:)

#46 ·
I have followed this thread for some time, but have never posted. Recent happenings prompt me to finally post. I had a son of Bubba, via a breeder/trainer in Northern Indiana. He passed away Saturday after a long 14 1/2 year life. He was a happy and friendly dog that had an outstanding personality, was a joy to hunt with and was part of our family. Wea Creek Rascal (Mack) looked a great deal like Bubba and I will always consider myself blessed to have had him as my hunting buddy and part of our family. Glad this thread exists.

#47 ·
Hustle or Hustle Bug or NMHx4 High Mileage Hilltops Hustle MNHx5 GMHR MH (ca22) MH (94)

Hustle !

The Heart Dog- he stays in the side yard now where we can see him as we exit the house or coming up the drive

Hustle - the pick pup at 600. Shipped in from Kermit and Nancy and all we asked was for a good pup and we got Hustle
Hustle - with a bad hip and auto immune disease and still whomever comes to our kennel is compared to Hustle

We tried to breed our Faith to Bubba but it didnt take
If a breeding with Bubba comes along please call
Dk

#50 ·
For those interested, I may have a yellow female pup available from my Bubba daughter. She'll be ready for a new home this summer. Looks like she'll be a darker yellow.

#51 ·
First off let me say I' don't post very often, but this thread really peaked my interest. I too have a Bubba grandson (pictured in my avatar). He has been the best dog I've ever owned and taken me to places I never thought I could get to. When I read all the posts I could relate to them all. This thread made me smile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.