The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilltops Hayseed "Bubba"

Luke is a Bubba grandson with Bubba being on the top side. Luke is just about handling land blinds as well as most Finished dogs, and able to hack through some very long cold blinds pretty well for a dog that just turned a year old in January.

Luke has an unbelievable bottom on him and he's built like a tank. He's pretty quiet at the line but has this unnerving desire to squeal his wheels out of the gate when running blinds. If this is what Bubba was like all I can say is WOW!
    Mike Boufford

Home to:
    UH HRCH Blue Sky's Carolina Contessa (500 Point Club)
    HRCH Firestorm Black on the Inside

UH HRCH MarshQurls Thunderfoot Jake SH (660 lifetime points) 2/24/02 - 12/11/08

"The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves." George Washington 1776

I judged at "Bubbaland", which is John Pease's beautiful training property, reportedly earned from Bubba's popular stud duties.

The dog in the picture below is my dog Major, Bubba's grandson by NFC Drake. He's fun.

Last edited by willson; 03-09-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    I own a Bubba grandson out of Drake. My Hatch is a good marking dog, was slow to mature mentally but has really come on in the last 6 mos. Responds better to low pressure and consistent insistance to doing things right through attrition when appropriate rather than heavy collar pressure. Hatch is a large, athletic dog with nice style & big water entry. And he was 3rd in the SW GA Am last weekend along with an open JAM. Hatch is a fox red.
    The reason for the thread was to learn more about my dogs pedigree. My dog Ely is a Bubba Grandson as well. Sounds alot like your guy David. He has never required much pressure or attrition.

Mike I did not realize your new guy was a Hayseed grandson. Hes been a good one so far hasnt he?

Thanks for the pic Greg. Yes Bubba throws some good ones.
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

High Mileage Hilltops Hustle- a bubba product- they just don't come any better- we would love another bubba dog today
    Hustle is 10- acts 2 and will still work all day- sleeps on the couch at night Dumb us we neutered him at 2 over a bad hip
    dave Kress

Senior Member Vicki Worthington's Avatar

I remember judging Bubba at Mid Illinois. He was pretty young then & was running the Open. We had a pretty tough quad with a bird that was just giving dogs fits to find in a marshy area. He had a pretty good hunt on that one bird, but was called back for the land blind.

John brought him up to line & spent a few seconds getting him pointed just so & then kicked him off. That dog could take a line like few dogs I've ever watched--especially because he continued on that line until John decided to move him a skosh to the right or left. As I recall, he lined the blind that day. When he was on his way back from the blind, I congratulated John on such a nice blind. His reply: "He knew I was mad at him over that mark in the first, so he just had to make it up to me by lining the blind!"
    Do Something! Lead, Follow, or Get Out of The Way

Is that the trial when he broke his leg?

Those two were a team!

Senior Member Vicki Worthington's Avatar

I don't believe he was injured in any way. It was just funny to hear John talk to him like he was another human! Probably spring 1996-7.
    Do Something! Lead, Follow, or Get Out of The Way

It's often funny to hear John talk, period. Bubba understood him and John understood Bubba.

Bubba broke his leg at Mecco Mines one trial. Had trouble with it on and off the rest of his life, though he lived a long and thoroughly loved one. He had a special place in the back seat of the truck (rarely riding in the dog box) or living room sofa.

Quote Originally Posted by willson View Post
    I judged at "Bubbaland", which is John Pease's beautiful training property, reportedly earned from Bubba's popular stud duties.

The dog in the picture below is my dog Major, Bubba's grandson by NFC Drake. He's fun.

Hi

What a great water entry.

Regards
    JT
    www.marshhawkretrievers.com

Wonder how much semen is i would love to have a female out of him.