The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e-collar fitting problems

Default e-collar fitting problems

Anyone else have this problem? I never seem to be able to get my dog's e-collar to fit him right.

If I adjust it to what seems to be the perfect fit while the dog's head and neck are in a normal sitting or standing position, the terminals (or whatever they're called) lose contact with his skin when he points his head down, such as when his nose is to the ground.

On the other hand, if I go one notch tighter, it feels like I'm strangling him.

Any suggestions?

Also, I've considered swapping out the standard terminals for the longer ones included with my TriTronics collar. I realize that these are meant for dogs with thicker coats (and my dog's isn't), but I thought they might maintain consant contact with his skin without the collar itself choking him.

Senior Member drakedogwaterfowl's Avatar

I use the longer terminals on my receiver for my lab. I'll also put the collar on him when he is standing and pull his scruff away from his head to ensure I get a good fit. I'll also have it as tight as I can, but able to get a finger underneath one of the prongs.
    Drakedogwaterfowl

HRCH Sutton's Mallard Lake Drake MH "Drake"
    Bear Country's High Flyer "Piper"

If it slips down and loses contact completly,then it is too loose,you should be able to get 2 fingers under the strap,possibly 3.

i use the long points
    keep the collar high, close to ears.
    put an in-between hole in the strap, I have done that.
    the factory holes do not fit every dog.
    I have a couple in-between holes.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I compare it to cinching up a saddle on a horse. I put it on and let the dog run around and air for a bit then tighten it up a little more.
    Last edited by Steve Shaver; 03-09-2010 at 10:51 PM.

I replaced all my e-collar straps with the Cinch It. So far it fits all TT, Dogtra, and SD receivers I tried them with. You can get a perfect fit on any dog and they last longer.

Position the collar so it is right behind the ears; it shouldn't choke the dog since there is a block of muscle there. If it is a short hair dog and the collar is properly tighten, you should not have to use the long prongs, it may cause problems in my opinion. Read your instruction manual to tighten properly.

Bumper Boy has a collar out with a rubber strap in it that works well. I know it fits the older Tri Tronics receivers. You might give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by PackLeader View Post
    .......and they last longer.
    longer than what? My TT is going on 12 years with the original strap.
    last longer that that? You know this how?????? you don't know.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try.

Ryan