The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Distance

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Yes

I read this years ago. I cannot believe that 20-70 or whatever the experts claim, is the average for our field trial dogs. The good markers can flat out see. I believe when we're doing selective breeding for field trial dogs that one of the qualities we're breeding for is exceptional canine vision.

What do you think John?
    I think you make an excellent point. But what is exceptional for a dog....... Do they have anywhere near 20-20 ?
    At 20-50 a 400 yd mark equals around 1000yd or well over a half a mile

While it has its place while discussing "Distance",... in the interest of the other aspects of this thread, debating Canine vision itself deserves a thread of its own, I will start one soon.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

John I don't agree with the 20-70 vision in our FT dogs. Which Doctor was able to tell is this better or worse to his dog?

I do know that I threw a mark one time that was 950 yds in a straight line, but don't have a clue what the true distance was, being ran sideways down a steep hill thru a technical pond up a hill thru cover strips down a little valley up another hill with the gun retired. The dog had a 5yd hunt to find the bird. I did put white tape on the bird and don't make it a habit of throwing marks that far just wanted to see if the dog could actually see that far. If I showed you the mark you would say no way in H### could a dog do it.

That being said two trials out of the last three that dog has over run the long retired missing it by less than 5ft each time.

I do believe there are exceptions to everything but a vast majority of the FT dogs today can mark birds at 500 plus yds if they have a good background and lighting conditions. I think those are the keys good backgrounds and lighting conditions that judges should be most aware of when setting up trials. Unforunately time that you run and daylight change all the time so there will always be differences at the trial its just part of the game!!
    GunZ UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chad
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I read this years ago. I cannot believe that 20-70 or whatever the experts claim, is the average for our field trial dogs. The good markers can flat out see. I believe when we're doing selective breeding for field trial dogs that one of the qualities we're breeding for is exceptional canine vision.
    As I understand it, dog vision is different from people in that they see motion better than we do, so even if their resolution is low, they may pick up a throw at long distance (esp. with flappers added.)

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...?p=583669#post

Here is some information on Canine vision... as you can see Acuity is but one aspect of the package.

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 03-15-2010 at 07:12 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...?p=583669#post

Here is some information on Canine vision... as you can see Acuity is but one aspect of the package.

john
    All interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Chute View Post
    All interesting...
    It is isn't it? As is this one on many more of the aspects of Distance as they pertain to training and testing.....
    But, I guess they are not as interesting to some as berating "Fred"?

Go figure!

john

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    It is isn't it? As is this one on many more of the aspects of Distance as they pertain to training and testing.....

Go figure!

john
    It is easier to post opinion rather than knowledge....

As for your topic; I had my dog's eyes' CERFed and Goneoscopied and meant to ask the Vet if there was a vision test which could quantify a dog's capabilities. I am curious how the 20/70 number was established for retrievers.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Agree totally - this info is why I joined RTF.

But the berate Fred threads are like a car wreck - just gotta slow down and watch, then you get sucked in, then...

like a darn soap opera, not that I watch 'em
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade "Cannon"

Bump................

Never ran a FT but do like to train on long marks. The article is thought provoking as are the comments.

Thanks.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)