RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Help me with some Retriever history if you would or could.

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  tmt 
#1 ·
Hi On
The last dual champion English springer spaniel was 1947, since then the breed has been seriously devided between bench and field.
Spaniels started field trialing in 1927, about 1940 the breed began deviding between bench and field. The show champion that made field champion during that period of time right after WW2 when the sport had suffered because manpower and dog power shortages.
In todays retriever world are Dual champions, show and non-slip, still an occurence, are they common place or are they rare?
Thanks for any historical information you may have.

Hal Standish
FC/AFC Sargeant Alexander Brutus
AFC Justamuc's Wildfire
AfC Justamuc's Dynamite
AFC Wainer's Hollywood
FTW Justamuc's Quickfire

#2 ·
The last Dual CH Labrador Hiwood Shadow was almost 30 years ago and the only one in the decade of the 80s

In the 70s I recall two, Trumarc's Triple Threat and Royal Oaks Jill of Burgundy

#4 ·
You can do a search on the subject. There have been numerous threads. IMO- The subject is like Humpty-Dumpty, you can't put them back together again.

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be

#7 ·
The 70s for Goldens too. The last was Tigathoe's Funky Farquar, who was also the 1972 All Breed Derby Champion.

I had field springers when I was married. GREAT pheasant dogs and wonderful family dogs. There is a huge chasm between them and the bench springers. We had one - thinking she would also be a good hunter. Dumber than a box of rocks and not the least bit birdy!

M

#8 ·
The 70s for Goldens too. The last was Tigathoe's Funky Farquar, who was also the 1972 All Breed Derby Champion.

M
Quar was a beautiful animal and a real good boy...had the pleasure of his company a time or two..;)

#10 · (Edited)
Hey and a tip of the hat for your responses, Thanks so much!
For those that asked yes this thread would be about all retrievers
Thanks again

Hal Standish
FC/AFC Sargeant Alexander Brutus
AFC Justamuc's Wildfire
AFC Justamuc's Dynamite
AFC Wainer's Hollywood
FTW Justamuc's Quickfire

#14 ·
Thanks Bon!!! Pictures & titles are all well and good, but it's so nice to hear about a dog from someone who knows what he was like and what went into him.

M

#15 ·
Wonderful post, Bon!!!

Judy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.