The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: November

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    The insurance companies haven't shown us their cards yet. I doubt our wildest imaginations can predict the stunts that will be enacted in the coming months and years to prevent losses while complying with the new bill.
    Good grief, where has this country come to when efforts to stay in business and remain profitable despite the government's best efforts are characterized as "stunts." Then again, you are the guy who argued that a hospital that was losing $10 million a year and had less than 50% of its beds occupied should remain open.

BTW....the healthcare insurance industry has profit margins well below most other industries in this country...like in the lower single digits. But hey, the Dems shouldn't let the facts get in the way of some good demonizin'.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    This has been on my mind for some time now. You can expect every single increase instituted from this day forward to be blamed on the Democrats.

....and....

They will be inviting medicare for everyone.
    You have touched on what is the fear of many....that this healthcare bill is designed to do EXACTLY what you described...to either drive the industry out of business or create conditions whereby they can be further demonized; thus making government-run healthcare an attractive/logical solution down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    Got link? That flies in the face of the uninsured demographics that I've read which claim that about two thirds of the uninsured are low income.
    Statistics on the uninsured generally (not just the newly uninsured) are available at http://www.census.gov/prod/2009pubs/p60-236.pdf. Check out table 7 on page 21.

24.5% of people without insurance have household incomes under $25,000, 21.4% are from households with incomes of $25-50,000, and the balance come from households with income over $50,000. When considered based on age, 9.9% of children are not covered by insurance, 28.6% of adults aged 18-24, 26.5% of those aged 25-34, 19.4% for ages 35-44, and 16.1% for those over 45.

Both sets of statistics reflect the fact that people at or near the poverty level are generally covered by Medicaid, that there are a number of Federal and State programs to provide coverage for children, and that those over 65% (with few exceptions) are covered by Medicare.

EDIT:

Gallup reports that 40% of the "underemployed" (who represent about 20% of the population) do not have health insurance and many have gone without medical care because of cost.

Last edited by YardleyLabs; 03-24-2010 at 06:18 AM.

Got link? That flies in the face of the uninsured demographics that I've read which claim that about two thirds of the uninsured are low income.
    The largest portion of newly uninsured are working middle-class, not street bums or billionaires.

Thought I'd help you out a little bit with the reading comprehension difficulty.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Good grief, where has this country come to when efforts to stay in business and remain profitable despite the government's best efforts are characterized as "stunts." Then again, you are the guy who argued that a hospital that was losing $10 million a year and had less than 50% of its beds occupied should remain open.

BTW....the healthcare insurance industry has profit margins well below most other industries in this country...like in the lower single digits. But hey, the Dems shouldn't let the facts get in the way of some good demonizin'.

What is good or accepted business practice in most arenas, are not acceptable in health care. You should be very happy most doctors who perfom necessary procedures agree with this. Nose and boob jobs are a different story. But if the medical field used the same business models as your mechanic does, when you show up with acute appendicitis, better have cash, visa, or mastercard out! Do you REALLY want the medical field to use such approaches to care? Oh, it's flu season, and just like hotels in conference and travel season, the fee for a flu-shot just doubled! These ridiculous examples illustrate why you cannot merge the delivery of healthcare to the sick into a pure business model. The health industry has had a social contract in place for years, whereby physicians have indeed enjoyed a high income and lifestyle, and in return are there for you at 3am, or on Sunday morning when the need arises....and treats without regard for ability to pay.
    Unfortunately, that contract is being eroded from both sides, and that is a BAD thing for all involved, especially the sick.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Thought I'd help you out a little bit with the reading comprehension difficulty.
    Thanks, but I comprehended just fine. I was kinda hoping for a link to a story, statistics, or better yet, a nice chart, indicating that a majority of those who who are newly uninsured are working middle class. At first, second and third blush your claim doesn't pass the smell test (unless of course the smell that we're testing for consists of what's been thrown against the wall yet again).

What is good or accepted business practice in most arenas, are not acceptable in health care. You should be very happy most doctors who perfom necessary procedures agree with this. Nose and boob jobs are a different story. But if the medical field used the same business models as your mechanic does, when you show up with acute appendicitis, better have cash, visa, or mastercard out! Do you REALLY want the medical field to use such approaches to care? I want them to profit so that the United States remains the gold standard for medical care (some oft-quoted, decade old UN study aside).Oh, it's flu season, and just like hotels in conference and travel season, the fee for a flu-shot just doubled! These ridiculous examples illustrate why you cannot merge the delivery of healthcare to the sick into a pure business model. The health industry has had a social contract in place for years, whereby physicians have indeed enjoyed a high income and lifestyle, and in return are there for you at 3am, or on Sunday morning when the need arises....and treats without regard for ability to pay.
    Unfortunately, that contract is being eroded from both sides, and that is a BAD thing for all involved, especially the sick.

.... Nose and boob jobs are a different story....
    There you go using those big medical terms again.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

I want them to profit so that the United States remains the gold standard for medical care (some oft-quoted, decade old UN study aside).

Yeah, me too, so I can keep my hobbies alive! But we can do that and not become ruthless businessmen in the process. I don't ever want to become like the insurance execs in Jeff's story, that congratulate themselves for putting the royal screw to their clients in the name of profit. Yes, its a cut-throat jungle out there, but somewhere you must draw the line and have a little human compassion. God help us if we all forget that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Loeffelholz View Post
    You forgot the birth certificate talking point!
    Which part was not true?