The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Early Reaction to Health Bill Adoption

Has anyone seen the final bill? (BTW.I thought we were to have days to look at it before it was signed.) All the search sites seem to have stories on the bill but nowhere can I find an actual link to the actual bill.

When I searched places like GPO and Thomas...not even there. (Thomas claims there are 7 different versions.)

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Did YOU hear him say that???

rk
    RK, I did not hear him say it, but here is the transcript:
    CALLER: If the health care bill passes, where would you go for health care yourself? And the second part of that is, what would happen to the doctors, do they have to participate in the federal program, or could they opt out of it? [...]
    LIMBAUGH: My guess in even in Canada and even in the UK, doctors have opted out. And once theyíve opted, they canít see anybody Medicare, Medicaid, or what will become the exchanges. They have to have a clientele of private patients that will pay them a retainer and itíll be a very small practice. I donít know if thatís been outlawed in the Senate bill. I donít know. Iíll just tell you this, if this passes and itís five years from now and all that stuff gets implemented ó I am leaving the country. Iíll go to Costa Rica.
    Donít you think this is quite an interesting choice given that Costa Rica has socialize medicine. From: http://www.liveincostarica.com/blog/...re-system.html
    Ö. this is a country with one of the longest standing socialized healthcare systems on the planet. Everyone here (including resident foreigner), are required to pay into the government-run health system, whether they use it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    RK, I did not hear him say it, but here is the transcript:

Donít you think this is quite an interesting choice given that Costa Rica has socialize medicine. From: http://www.liveincostarica.com/blog/...re-system.html
    The context is that he'd previously been talking with a gal who claimed to be an insurance exec who'd said that the company she worked for expected to be put out of business by Obamacare and was contemplating a policy that would fly people to medical facilities that the insurance company would open and operate in Costa Rica. But hey, I guess it's a lot more fun for all the free-thinkin' and highly intelligent progressives to pretend that a multi-millionaire would really wait in line at a free government clinic in Costa Rica.

BTW...that's a hint of what to come, though...lower and middle class Americans forced to endure sh!tty care and long waits while the richest among us purchase supplemental policies to do an end-run around the system (just like in England).
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    Has anyone seen the final bill? (BTW.I thought we were to have days to look at it before it was signed.) All the search sites seem to have stories on the bill but nowhere can I find an actual link to the actual bill.

When I searched places like GPO and Thomas...not even there. (Thomas claims there are 7 different versions.)

Eric
    The Senate Bill as adopted was SA 3278 and may be found at http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/C?r111:./temp/~r111apNMco where it was posted on 12/19, five days before the final vote on 12/24. The House Bill of "fixes" is HR 4872, which has been available since three days prior to the House vote. It may be found at http://www.scribd.com/doc/28572002/R...4872-Full-Text

The consideration of the Senate Bill in the House was done as H.R. 3590, the text of which was posted three days prior to the House vote and is available at http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h3590/text. This is about 2500 pages long if you are downloading it. However, as a matter of law it is identical to the bill adopted by the Senate on 12/24 and has thus been available for inspection for a month. This is the bill that was signed by Obama. HR 4872 is now being considered by the Senate.

This morning, Gallup posted the public's report card for the legislative parties involved in health care legislation: Obama, Congressional Democrats, and Congressional Republicans. Nobody received great grades, but the apportionment of the grades is interesting.

If I had to interpret the Gallup poll, I might say that Obama's approval rating stayed high because he let Pelosi, Reid and others do the dirty work on the health care proposal. By the dirty work I mean being the ones blamed for the arm-twisting and machinations involving the rules stuff.

I think that the Rs rating has suffered because they've done some dumb stuff, and also very little information has been given about the content of the amendments that Rs proposed that were voted down & not included in the bill. I, personally, have only a vague sense that tort reform was among those rejected amendments, but no clue about the specifics of that amendment, and what the reason might have been for rejecting it.

Most of us on this forum have to work at our day jobs & can't read every word spoken in Congress (of which there are bazillions), so we do depend on the media to keep us informed with facts (rather than editorialism).

It does seem unreasonable that such a comprehensive overhaul would not address tort reform at all. Maybe it would save only a billion here and there, but a billion would still buy quite a lot of mammograms, childhood vaccines, etc. If doctors and hospitals are going to provide services for less $, then some provision for control of the costs involved with CYA medicine seems a logical extrapolation to an overhaul as far-reaching as this legislation. What's another 100 pages or so when you've already got 2,500?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post

It does seem unreasonable that such a comprehensive overhaul would not address tort reform at all. Maybe it would save only a billion here and there, but a billion would still buy quite a lot of mammograms, childhood vaccines, etc. If doctors and hospitals are going to provide services for less $, then some provision for control of the costs involved with CYA medicine seems a logical extrapolation to an overhaul as far-reaching as this legislation. What's another 100 pages or so when you've already got 2,500?
    The bill includes $50 million for demonstration programs addressing tort reduction through either improved patient safety measures or through alternative dispute resolution approaches. The problem with tort reform is that there is actually no consensus on what it would or should entail. There is a lot to suggest that the primary cause of malpractice awards is ...... malpractice. In addition, the primary component of awards is the cost of the actual injury, not pain and suffering. Finally, a big issue that needs to be addressed is the liability of third party carriers for consequential damages in cases where they deny coverage for treatment in an arbitrary and capricious manner.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    The problem with health care reform is that there is actually no consensus on what it should entail.
    Fixed it.

Didn't stop them, did it?

I guess all BS is in the viewer's eyes.
    If I had a brick I would put a note on it and throw it through a window or call Lush a liar, or a gay or put rifle cross airs on his picture.
    Naw I have more brains and class than to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Broke it.

Didn't stop them, did it?
    Fixed it.

I guess if you can get a bill voted on by 60 senators addressing tort reform (or even one favored by 51), then you would have enough of a legislative consensus to pass something. Instead, bills are passed simply for the purpose of generating sound bytes rather than for the purpose of change.