The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog ate aluminum foil!!!

Exclamation Dog ate aluminum foil!!!

Title says it all... 2 y/o lab got into trash and ate a fair amount of aluminum foil. Enough to cover an oven broiler pan.

Is this fatal? How serious - enough to warrant a trip to the emergency vet?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Hi

That sounds bad. I would call vet right away.

Regards
    JT
    www.marshhawkretrievers.com

I would also call and ask your vet when mine ate a shaving razor blade and all they had me give metamucil when my daughters dog ate Xmas tree lights they had her give cotton balls soaked in milk ask your vet you should do
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Quote Originally Posted by John Carlson View Post
    Title says it all... 2 y/o lab got into trash and ate a fair amount of aluminum foil. Enough to cover an oven broiler pan.

Is this fatal? How serious - enough to warrant a trip to the emergency vet?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!
    How long ago? If not to long give the dog 2 to 3 tablespoons of Hydrogen Peroxide.. that will make him throw up....

My wife's dog ate a bag of candy kisses. Wasn't too big a deal. We called the vet and he said their shouldn't be a problem. It sure made cleaning the piles after her a lot easier. Every one was marked by aluminum foil.
    "First thing is you have to be smarter then what your working with"

My last lab ate an aluminun plate from a "Take Out" restaurant. He became very ill. Had had loose bowels for a week. My vet had him on medication which helped. Can't remember what it was. His stoll was bloody and he spent the entire week in the garage. First and only time he was ever outside. It was December but fortunately for him it was a very, very mild week. My current boy tore up an aluminum can and started acting the same as my first guy. It was a Sunday night so I had to take him to an emergency vet. center ($$$). He had no ill effects. I would see a vet to be safe.

Hydrogen Peroxide will make them throw up usually very fast.

I poured approx 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide down my dogs throat recently because she ate a whole bottle of vitamins. Just the vitamins, not much of the bottle. No prob w/ vitamins and all other stomach contents coming back up.

I'd call a vet and see which way it's best fot the foil to come out.

I don't believe having the dog throw up is a good idea... it is solid material, don't forget...

Yes, call your vet. as said, he may indicate to give something to the dog to make the thing go smoothly thru the intestines. Probably some laxative paste.
    Djanick Michaud
    Zomarick Golden Retrievers
    www.redgolden.com

"Believing that our vision of the reality is the only reality that exsits is the most dangerous illusion" (Watzlawick)

Normally tin foil will pass (I've worked at ER vet hospitals for over 10 yrs now). You will most likely get some GI upset (read nasty diarrhea). If your dog starts vomiting, stops eating or his abdomen appears bloated, he should be seen immediately. Otherwise, you will probably find bits and pieces of shiny silver in the yard for about a week. Most young dogs will bounce back from diarrhea, but he may need some flagyl and SQ fluids if it goes on for more than a few days.

Note to peroxide users. Just 2-3 tablespoons of the stuff. Be very careful using more as your can actually poison your dog with too much. Also, not everything should come back up. Always check before you induce vomiting.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.