The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dog ate aluminum foil!!!

The last time my dog ate something she shouldn't have, the vet told me to give her Whole Wheat Bread to help her pass it. Has to be Whole Wheat. Not White Bread.
    Ask about doing that. Can't hurt.
    Mary and
    Sterling's Lucy J. Two Shoes CL1 CL2-R CL2-H CL2-F NAC NJC CGC (Lucy)
    My first agility dog...thank you for everything!
    C-ATCH Creek Boats Heaven Sent JH AX AXJ XF SG CGC WC ASCA-RN (1 AKC RN Pass) 75 MACH Points (Midge)

My first Field Dog...Wow! What a ride!

Kristie Wilder

I agree with being cautious with advice given regarding any veterinary issue, ESPECIALLY an emergency. EVEN if the advice was previously given by a veterinarian. With foreign objects, the treatment varies by the object, when it was consumed, how much was consumed, etc. Some stuff will do more damage going one way or the other. Inducing vomiting isn't always the answer, nor is giving them something to coat the object... Those are each great treatments, but only under advisement of a vet for your particular situation. So just BE CAREFUL!!! Better to consult with an expert first than follow a post by someone here, EVEN IF they are credible and have had prior experience. I feel like I've learned a LOT over the years being exposed to so many situations and dogs, but even with that experience there are some cases where I think I know what to do, but find out I'm glad I didn't do it after speaking with a vet....

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'd keep him away from the microwave for a while and prolly not let him under the power lines until you see some shiney poop.

Tinfoil hat regards

Bubba
    Roflmao! Serisously though hope the dog is ok.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Hey guys. I'd be careful about advising regergitation with foil. Ball it up and you have sharp edges which could cause more damage.
    Greg W.

Brooks Black Gold At Briarwood JH (Louie)
    Brandywine's Belle on Wheels JH (Belle)
    Serengetti Sadie O'Brandywine SH -MH passes (Sadie)
    CH Brandywine's Westdale Duggan MH (Duggan)
    CH Alpenglo's Jasmine O'Brooks JH CD (Jasmine)
    Brandywine's Flagship SH (Brandy)

Hope your pup is alright.
    I have one question though, with all the experience on this forum why is it we can't train our dogs not to get in the garbage or eat thing their no supposed to?
    Giving a dog things their allowed to have in abundance is sure a lot cheaper than a vet visit.
    I'm not saying I'm perfect or anything, but I make sure my dogs are trained to only chew or eat the things I allow them to have. My youngest found that out when she got into the trash can. Needless to say she fit nicely in it and hasn't even come close to it since that day. Call it cruel? How cruel is it when a dog eats something it shouldn't when it could have been trained not to?
    Just venting due to all the items being ate as of late.

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    Hope your pup is alright.
    I have one question though, with all the experience on this forum why is it we can't train our dogs not to get in the garbage or eat thing their no supposed to?
    Giving a dog things their allowed to have in abundance is sure a lot cheaper than a vet visit.
    I'm not saying I'm perfect or anything, but I make sure my dogs are trained to only chew or eat the things I allow them to have. My youngest found that out when she got into the trash can. Needless to say she fit nicely in it and hasn't even come close to it since that day. Call it cruel? How cruel is it when a dog eats something it shouldn't when it could have been trained not to?
    Just venting due to all the items being ate as of late.
    I already wrote my response in another thread. We are super super careful around here, but no matter how hard you try, stuff happens. And dogs that NEVER have ever touched anything can change... I posted on another thread that we have a group of older girls (7-10 yrs) that have never been any trouble, yet have started destroying everything from books to pillows... I haven't been able to pin it down to one yet.

It's sometimes a lot easier said than done to prevent these things from happening 24/7.

In John's case, who would think their dog would eat a whole foil container??

Kristy I understand that. But we need to take extra steps to stop it from happening. dog proofing a home for one. Don't throw foil with food smells in the garbage.
    We take all kinds of precations to protect our kids so why not our pets. All it takes is a few training sessions and patience. IMO