The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Time To Legalize it?

Default Time To Legalize it?

I think so! And, lets tax it too.
    http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf...orylist=health

Afterall, who wants to bail Grandma out of jail!
    Last edited by Franco; 02-22-2010 at 09:17 PM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

I was just reading about drug wars in Mexico. Maybe legalizing would put some of them out of business?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Not sure what impact it would have with the Mexican drug lords as I have a feeling that is a small part of thier busienss.

I've read in several articles that most is grown domestically and is Canada's #1 cash crop.

For me, the big question is if people suffering with various ailments are finding releif, then why can't they use an all natural solution? Is it the drug companies lobbing against it? Lets face it, many of the side effects of percription drugs cause more problems then they solve.

Tax revenue would be another issue.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

It's kind of a weird situation. "Drug" dealers don't want to lose their revenue, "drug" users don't want big businesses to increase prices and for it to be taxed, and those who know nothing about it see legalization as the end of the world.
    I have a feeling it would have been legal in Canada years ago without US pressures.

I basically favor legalization but definitely believe there will be both negative and positive consequences.

A significant number of people are still imprisoned each year for violation of laws on sale and possession of marijuana, as distinct from other drugs. Legalization would take them out of the criminal justice system.

Legalization would increase tax revenues, without affecting end user costs, and remove the "subsidy" now received by criminal traffickers.

However, there is a big difference between marijuana and alcohol in terms of how the drugs are used. Most people using alcohol are not actually looking to get drunk. Everyone using marijuana is looking to get stoned (when was the last time someone took a toke, smelled the smoke to comment on the vintage, and then did not proceed to smoke until his eyes went glassy?).

There is no question in my mind, that legalizing marijuana will increase the incidence of intoxication among both adults and minors. In addition, I have little doubt that legalizing marijuana will increase the incidence of smoking much more dangerous drugs such as .... tobacco.

Legalization is not the same as endorsement of use. Many things are bad for our health but still legal. For all of its negatives, marijuana is clearly less harmful to health than many substances that are now legal. I suspect that it will take a Republican to get a legalization bill passed, just as it took a Republican to open relations with China. Otherwise, any push for legalization will simply become another bullet in the culture war arsenal.

Banned

I'm all for legalization.

IN AK when I was growing up, it was legal. Then illegal, then legal then illegal.

I think it is currently illegal.

Legalization will not make the usage go up (those that want to smoke it will) and it will take a bite out of crime (removing users and sellers from the prison system) plus giving an avenue for purchase. It will also lower the "street price".

I say legalize it, tax the hell out of it and use THAT to pay for health care reform.....

Just like alcohol, make it unacceptable to be "under the influence" within certain job parameters. Just because something is legal doesn't mean you don;t have to be responsible for your behavior.

WRL

This may be because I'm Canadian. It's true that people smoke it to get high, but in all honesty if someone wants to get get some weed, then they go get some. It's not like you have to walk into some sketchy part of town and worry for your life. I can walk up the street in any neighbor hood and pick up a bag.

The other thing is you tend to only stay "high" for a short amount of time...it's not like alcohol where you wake up the next morning and worry about getting a DUI on the drive to work.

How we have it up north now works fairly well. It could be better, but decriminalization is a good first step. The only stupid thing is they have started a new round of government anti-drug commercials. The gateway drug theory and addiction crap have been debunked so many times that crap is getting old.

I personally love it. I probably get high once a month or so. When you've had one of those really bad days there is nothing better than a little bit of weed, a bag of chips and a big glass of chocolate milk.

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post

Just like alcohol, make it unacceptable to be "under the influence" within certain job parameters. Just because something is legal doesn't mean you don;t have to be responsible for your behavior.

WRL
    They've started that up here. Laws came into place last year that were specifically for being under the influence of marijuana while driving. I believe the penalties are the same as drinking and driving. Hopefully it's just setting the groundwork for the eventual legalization.

I have been for it for decades. NOBODY should be in prison for pot.....NOBODY, we need the room for real criminals.
    I have a buddy who got 2 years for possession on 2 ozs. Fist offence....2 years...how did that do justice for anyone?
    The only problem with being under the influence while driving is there is really no way to tell WHEN a person smoked it. I did drug testing for many years and spent lots of time in court an that is always a problem....27 days in your system so when did you use it. Most law says if it is in your system (agan 27 days) you areunder the influence, but any one who has ever used it only wises it lasted that long. Many workers comp cases have been both won and lost on this isse as well. If you go to work and fall and break something and they test your urine at the hospital and you smoked 2 weeks before it happened you will still be positive and screwed as far as a claim goes.

funny thing about the "war on drugs" if it is working why are they still easily avaliable and why are many of them as cheap or even in many cases cheaper than they were 15-20 years ago. Cocaine was $80-100/gram back in the 80's and now I understand fomr people that know a gram is going for $50-80. Seems to me if it were working prices would have gone up and avalibility would have gone down.

The next problem would be that making it legal would kill a huge industry that is geared completely towards it NOT being Legal.
    Last edited by badbullgator; 02-24-2010 at 10:28 AM.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

[QUOTE=YardleyLabs;572828] Most people using alcohol are not actually looking to get drunk. Everyone using marijuana is looking to get stoned (when was the last time someone took a toke, smelled the smoke to comment on the vintage, and then did not proceed to smoke until his eyes went glassy?).

Not sure I totally agree with that. I think there are people who would take a few hits to relax, unwind, and chill, without the intent on getting totally zoned. So I've been told.

Likewise, I see lots of folks at the watering holes in town who plop down on a barstool with no intent of leaving anywhere near sober.

All in all, I think alcohol exerts a far larger cost on society in terms of injury, death, and destruction of property, domestic and other abuse and violence.

I just don't see guys toking away, then chest thumping and jumping in cars to drag race....
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!