RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

RTF etiquette - saying thanks to responses

11K views 91 replies 35 participants last post by  Jennifer Henion 
#1 ·
Does anyone else (besides me) think it is considered good manners to thank people that give suggestions/answers to questions/requests that have been posted?

I try to say thanks when I get answers/opinions to my questions - always thought it was a good way to let the 'answerers' know I had read their suggestions....

Juli

#2 ·
When asking a pointed question I like to end it with “Thank You all in advance” or something like that. That way after if I thank one and not another the “other” doesn’t get all pissy about not being thanked even though the advice given made the “other” look like a total dorkweed anyway.
And when giving advice I never expect to receive thanks. And if I can word it so helpful content to one is included with a back handed compliment to another…. Well that’s a twofer for me, no thanks needed.

#5 ·
I couldn't agree more! I always try to make in a point to thank people who respond to my thread or question....Not only to show them I've read their response...Moreover, to let them know I truly appreciate them taking the time out of their day to not only read my post but offer their help,opinion,insight or what have you.....A lot of us, myself included take for granted the wonderful resource that is RTF........We have the opportunity to pick the minds of some of the top retriever people in the world....We are very fortunate to have such a resource at our disposal.....Obviously we all know whom to thank.

I think I can see the origins of why you posted this......A few of the new comers and some not so new, seem to be very thankless...."It is what it is" I guess.......Just like in anything else you have to sift the wheat from the chaff......You have a lot of folks with limited experience firing off 100 posts a day on every training topic under the sun....on the other end of the spectrum you have the folks you wish you heard more from....Thats why the PM feature is great tool....Lots of times I PM Members directly for help and also to say "thank you." At any rate I'll slink back into the shadows now:p

#6 · (Edited)
Depends on the response, or answer you get.......
why thank someone for bad advice, even if they think they know what they are talking about.
Maybe people don't like your answers and suggestions

#8 ·
I do know "responce" is not a word.....:D

Still trying to figure out why BBG was taking a shot at me....

#11 ·
Hey I know......maybe we can get Chris to put in a "thanks" button like they have on the water doggie board........

#16 ·
I would rather see an "I agree with poster" button. Sometimes I find some of the advice, different :), and you hardly ever see me too posts, but if I saw that 30 other people agreed with the post I might be more tempted to try such advice. Those posters that disagree usually post as such.
Maybe an I agree and a bs button? :)

#17 ·
Juli,

I try hard to be sure I post a thank-you for any replies I receive. I think that being new to the forum and to the field of training a pup for Hunt Test purposes this forum is a valuable asset.

I respect that there are members on here who have a lot of experience and are willing to share some their time and knowledge with those of us don't. I'm also aware that some responses are just from well meaning people and that I need to sort out what will work with my pup and what won't. Either way I am thankful they took the time to post.

Paula

#18 ·
I think that being new to the forum and to the field of training a pup for Hunt Test purposes this forum is a valuable asset.
a
I agree- being new to the forum and the sport, I appreciate it when people take the time to answer questions that might be obvious to them, or they've answered a million times before for every other newbie out there.

If I ever miss a "thank you," know that I really appreciate all answers!

Lauren

#19 ·
Being new to the forum, and new to dog training, I am someone who only asks questions. My last post only had three responses, very good advice though. I could not PM the poster because I do not have enough posts. Do I make one post thanking the responders, and have it look like I was bringing the post back up to the top to get more responses? I did not post because I did not want to look like a dipstick trying to get a "dead" thread back up to the top:D Point being, the posters may be very thankful, not want to ruffle any feathers. Just another point of view....I would say most are thankful for any and all advice, whether they use it or not.

#24 ·
I always say thanks!! And moreover, I truly mean it. Lot's of knowlwdge here for us amateur folks. AGAIN THANKS, and have a great day alll!

#25 · (Edited)
This thread was started by one of the nicest ladies on this forum--sadly she isn't posting much anymore. Anyway--I think in light of the "Big Flush" and the issue of "oldsters" being pooped on by newbies-its perhaps a good idea to discuss the concept of the elusive and sometime painful "apology".

I am an expert in apologizing, it comes from years of practice......the result of being rather -amen- excitable. :cool: DON'T SAY ANYTHING /PAUL.

What does the apology accomplish? It shows that you have ------>RESPECT<--------- for the other persons feelings. EVEN if you do not agree with them. This has nothing to do with peanuts either.

***side note--demanding someone apologize is a really stupid thing to do and should NEVER happen, this causes a deep seated primal response called "Up yours you sanctimonious jackass". This is BAD!***

Now I would like to give a demonstration: "I'm sorry you feel I am rude." NO NO NO NO!!!! That takes responsiblity off of your shoulders. Basically you are saying that the other person is a wrong for feeling that you are rude. This is a sneaky fake apology. I know-- I do this to my husband all the time. (Poor Bart)

The proper apology: "I'm sorry I was rude to you." PHEW---do you all have any idea how much I paid to learn how to properly apologize??? I put my therapists kid through college. ;)

There is nothing wrong with an RTF smackdown, its a right of passage and honestly sometime we need a V-8 smack in the head. Its also a good idea to not assume familiarity until you have earned it on this here forum.

Lastly: to Mr. Fallon--I am sorry I once told you that I hoped you fell in a pile of dog poo and had a 400 mile drive home in a heat wave in a broken down car with no ventilation and windows stuck in the up position.

Helpy Help Person regards,

PS: I still want a "Bite Me" button.

#28 ·
This thread was started by one of the nicest ladies on this forum--sadly she isn't posting much anymore. Anyway--I think in light of the "Big Flush" and the issue of "oldsters" being pooped on by newbies-its perhaps a good idea to discuss the concept of elusive and sometime painful "apology".

I am an expert in apologizing, it comes from years of practice......the result of being rather -amen- excitable. :cool: DON'T SAY ANYTHING /PAUL.

What does the apology accomplish? It shows that you have ------>RESPECT<--------- for the other persons feelings. EVEN if you do not agree with them. This has nothing to do with peanuts either.

***side note--demanding someone apologize is a really stupid thing to do and should NEVER happen, this causes a deep seated primal response called "Up yours you sanctimonious jackass". This is BAD!***

Now I would like to give a demonstration: "I'm sorry you feel I am rude." NO NO NO NO!!!! That takes responsiblity off of your shoulders. Basically you are saying that the other person is a wrong for feeling that you are rude. This is a sneaky fake apology. I know-- I do this to my husband all the time. (Poor Bart)

The proper apology: "I'm sorry I was rude to you." PHEW---do you all have any idea how much I paid to learn how to properly apologize??? I put my therapists kid through college. ;)

There is nothing wrong with an RTF smackdown, its a right of passage and honestly sometime we need a V-8 smack in the head. Its also a good idea to not assume familiarity until you have earned it on this here forum.

Lastly: to Mr. Fallon--I am sorry I once told you that I hoped you fell in a pile of dog poo and had a 400 mile drive home in a heat wave in a broken down car with no ventilation and windows stuck in the up position.

Helpy Help Person regards,
Thank you Nancy and I apologize to the guy in Alabama that I made mad that called me a smart azz with little man syndrome. I was just joshing with you btw I;m kinda fat. And I apologize to the guy in Arkansas who was going on his first hunt and I told him he needed to take the bandana off before he went hunting. And I apologize to the no go guy that I told he might should listen to all the advice given that it could help him in the future. And I apologize to anyone else I have offended. Oh yeah and I apologize for my corny attempts at humor on here. guess that covers it.

#33 ·
I apologize to all the residents of the state to the immediate west of ours. I worked over there twice last week and in all truthfulness I did see a person with all his teeth. Or at least teeth. They didn't fit real well so they could have been somebody else's. But he did make an effort.
Lord forgive me and please be with the starving pygmies in New Guinea.

#36 ·
Look up pictures from the tavern where /paul hangs out if you find yourself in need of photos with people lacking full dentation.

#50 ·
Hi John
How are you gettin on these days? Hope your doing well!
Cheers

#53 · (Edited)
Thank you, Nancy for posting this thread and your efforts to help us rudes see the light.

I do tend to over assume familiarity too soon, which naturally leads to awkward moments of overshare, quickly followed by inappropriate humor as a defense mechanism or to try and ease tension directed at me. I sat too close to the TV as a child. - see, I just did it again?!

Unfortunately, I rarely realize I'm doing it until someone is pizzed.

So here are some things I'd like to put out there with all sincerity:

• I am sorry that I am rude and a smart azz. I don't intend to be, but it is apparently part of my nature and I will try harder to pay attention to that.
• I realize that I'm on my first field dog and that I don't know much - that becomes more obvious everyday.
• I appreciate RTF and acknowledge that I've learned more here in a short amount of time than I could have ever learned without it. And that's because of the knowledgable, helpful people here.

Thank you,

Jennifer

P.S. Ken, I'm sorry for being rude and over familiar.

#62 ·
So here are some things I'd like to put out there with all sincerity:

• I am sorry that I am rude and a smart azz. I don't intend to be, but it is apparently part of my nature and I will try harder to pay attention to that.
• I realize that I'm on my first field dog and that I don't know much - that becomes more obvious everyday.
• I appreciate RTF and acknowledge that I've learned more here in a short amount of time than I could have ever learned without it. And that's because of the knowledgable, helpful people here.

Thank you,

I think everyone appreciates your olive branch. But, I think there are some good things to know about RTF.

1. The oldies are a "family" in a weird sort of way. (just like real families are weird). We protect each others backs, even though we argue and disagree amongst ourselves. (No /Paul, the dress still looks better on Nancy.)
2. It's all about the dogs. You saw this when you posted your joke of running that SH test. There were some who honestly thought your dog was being chased by livestock and had concerns for your dog..... even though some were not appreciative of your sense of humor. we raise $$ for peoples sick dogs, dogs that need to be kept with injured officers, etc., peoples family members. Some take people who are driven out of their homes by mother nature into their homes.
3. we worry about people. Some of the old RTFers that are now in Heaven taking care of our dogs that have passed on were called on a regular basis from people across the country they never met except through RTF.
4. we are more than willing to help new people with their training issues, and we will be happy to tell you why your method won't work (or even when you are doing something well). Take it in the spirit of constructive criticism it's intended. More than likely, one of us has tried that method, beat our head against the wall and then realized we needed to try something different. We all started where you are. Some of us longer ago than others. And some of us, it took longer than others to get to a method that is successful. You have a very well bred dog with a lot of go. It's a lot of dog for your first one. You need to get the go harnessed in the proper manner.

Hope this additional thoughts help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.