The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunder 100 Shotgun Simulator & Dummy Launcher

Sound good but inconsistent.
    Cannister can bend easily in the receptical
    Much cheaper to use if working correctly.
    Strap needs improvement.
    Customer service seems to be very good.
    Tom Dorroh

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tshuntin View Post
    Does anyone have any further reviews on these lately? Our club may be faced with a situation that we may need to switch to something like this instead of popper guns. I would like to hear further reviews or of any improvements made if any. Thanks
    The new simulators have been used successfully for licensed field trials and shown at Super Retriever Series Events. At a recent field trial when the weather was really bad and they had consistent problems with poppers and shotguns, the simulators replaced shotguns with no problems. Normally participants and trainers cannot tell the difference. In most cases the sound from the simulator carries farther and with more authority than a standard shotgun popper. Trainers (both pro and amateur) using the simulators today are saving hundreds of dollars over buying popper shells and there is no argument that a shotgun sound is superior to primers for any training situation.

Like any piece of equipment some user training and experience helps. Usually with about 2 minutes of proper training any novice user can be taught to effectively activate the simulators. They are much safer than standard popper loads and don't require any cleaning.

Best advice is try one for yourself and form your own opinion. Odds are you won't be dissappointed.

They are a bit of a PITA to juggle and there is a learning curve to timing the shot so that the 5-6 second delay between beginning the charge and actually firing does not become a problem. That aside, the cost per shot is low, the sound is a little less directional, but just as loud or louder than a popper. Much easier on the ears than a 22 starter pistol; not as nice as a popper gun but, given the quality of a lot of the guns and the poppers, more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by retrieverfever View Post
    The new simulators have been used successfully for licensed field trials and shown at Super Retriever Series Events. At a recent field trial when the weather was really bad and they had consistent problems with poppers and shotguns, the simulators replaced shotguns with no problems. Normally participants and trainers cannot tell the difference. In most cases the sound from the simulator carries farther and with more authority than a standard shotgun popper. Trainers (both pro and amateur) using the simulators today are saving hundreds of dollars over buying popper shells and there is no argument that a shotgun sound is superior to primers for any training situation.

Like any piece of equipment some user training and experience helps. Usually with about 2 minutes of proper training any novice user can be taught to effectively activate the simulators. They are much safer than standard popper loads and don't require any cleaning.

Best advice is try one for yourself and form your own opinion. Odds are you won't be dissappointed.
    Retrieverfever, are you employed by this company? It seems most of your posts on RTF are related to Thunder equipment. If so, please PM me as i would like to talk to you further. Per your last sentence about trying one and forming my own opinion, I would absolutely love to, but not at a cost of 8-10 of these for our club... Any reviews or feedback I can get from people actually using them is very helpful to our decision making and risk management.
    TRAVIS SKEEN

Members of out club are also looking at buying several of these. I know we will buy a few to test but if successful who knows
    Last edited by Terry A; 03-25-2012 at 01:21 AM.
    If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them!!!!

Live today as if it is your last, for no man is guaranteed tomorrow.

Note to Self........ Be fast on the Whistle and slow with the Cast

JAVA - My 1st hunting / Test Dog - I miss him
    Dixie - Left us way to soon
    Abby - She makes my daughter smile
    Storm - my constant shadow

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Terry A View Post
    Members of out club are also looking at buying several of these. I know we will buy a few to test but if successful who knows
    I'm looking forward to giving them a try. I've heard a lot of good things about them. In this Texas wind their blast will be a plus. No more double "pops" on a long punch bird.

Angie

I don't own one, but people in our training group have them so I've used them.

The previous comments were old so I thought I would add mine.

The simulator works great. Nice loud "boom." In my opinion the problems with the strap, bent mapp canisters, and ease of use all get better if you put the strap over your shoulder with the canister facing to the front.

I've never seen their instructions and maybe that's what they say, but it just works better for me that way.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I've used these a ton. (two seasons of SRS events) We did the first event with these with a crew of 5 kids that were 15 and 16. The learning curve for the kids was about 5 minutes and a dollars worth of gas. Boy they had fun, and if these kids couldn't blow them up they won't explode. Kids treated them as potato guns shooting all kind of stuff (which I don't recommend but a golf ball can be shot about 150 yds if you can balance it in the tube)
    The smaller mapp gas cans are easier to handle and I actually tested with all kinds of gas and even the cheap propane for heaters work. The only issue I had was one of the four we had had an igniter that wasn't consistent so whoever had this one had to be prepared to push the button again quickly.

Given a choice of these or poppers I'll take these.

My 8 year old does walking singles with my Thunder 100. For those who say they are hard to use maybe he can show you how to properly use it.
    Joe Dutro

Oakwood's Dora Duky Desire MH- (Dora) 3/3/03- 3/16/11
    Desire's Midnight Rose SH- (Rose) 1/29/08
    Desire's Big Launch MH (Rocket) 9/29/09
    Desire's Pine Ridge Lonesome Gus MH (Gus) 9/29/09

Looking for updated reviews for this product? Any one else have a coment good or bad?

Thanks
    Dave
    canine n. Synonymous with courage, valor, trust, selflessness. If we learned to be half of what dogs are, the world would be a much better place