The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total Retriever Marking

Quote Originally Posted by waynenutt View Post
    The head swinging wasn't by Mac but Rascal (NFC Storm's RipTide Star), grandpa on mother's side. The puppy shown in my picture is my Patton puppy about 4 yrs ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Excuse me but how in the hell could you know that?

ummmmm......because he watched the video and saw Star head swinging and not Max??? I don't think he is saying he knows for sure where his dog's habit came from, just what he observed on the DVD. I hope so anyway.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Yep you're right I don't know that for sure and it was supposition on my part but many dogs inherit certain tendencies.
    My Patton puppy's dam was Jenger Belle's Sweet Return who was out of Rascal (NFC Storm's Riptide Star). Jenger Belle was bought for field trial work but the owners never followed through so she was basically a house pet.

Head swinging to my knowledge isn't someone that is neccesarily inherited.
    It's something that is man-made like gun shyness.
    I believe if you ask Marilyn who owned "Rascal "she would be able to answer your questions about her dog.
    Sue

Sue, I think head swinging has an inherited component. My Auggie bitch will head swing if I don't keep after it. My Running With The Devil bitch almost never head swings and she hasn't, to any great degree, since she was a puppy.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Sue, I think head swinging has an inherited component. My Auggie bitch will head swing if I don't keep after it. My Running With The Devil bitch almost never head swings and she hasn't, to any great degree, since she was a puppy.

Mick, who as you know is out of your Devil Bitch, does not swing his head. If anything, I'm nervous that he'll stay focused on the first bird down and miss the other birds. We actually won a derby where he would not come off the memory bird and missed the go bird in the last series.

The judges told me, DON'T TRY TO FIX THAT!

Now if we could get rid of that space between his behind and the ground. See avatar pic...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Howard,
    I think that the intense with which a dog looks to the next bird and "Us" allowing it to happen causes the head to swing.
    You know some dogs are more wired up to get "all" the birds go go go.
    That's the genetics for sure.
    It's our job to tell them ' SIT" and MAKE them focus on "THAT" bird THEN go to the next one and so forth.
    I have seen handlers literally just stand in one spot while the guns go off doing nothing as the dog looks like Stevie Wonder???
    Sue