The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 85

Thread: And the hits keep coming.

  1. #41
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Q View Post
    Clearly, a racial bigot is comfortable in the absence of challenge to his racist ideas. Not being powerful, individually, the bigot may consider his presence neutral. What happens if this 'neutral' environment is a business or a church? Could it be that the bigot is also surrounded by like-minded individuals? Could it be that people are unwittingly tolerant of his racist ideas? Questions such as these are very relevant to issues like institutional racism and affirmative action. The bigot's acknowledged racism and 'forgiven' powerlessness becomes a source of conflict when an institution's credibility is called into question. Just as a neighborhood loses security when that 'nice quiet tenant' is shown to be an axe murderer, the society around bigots lose credibility. The acceptance of a bigot, especially the conscious acceptance, puts a 'price' on racism. "It's okay for Marge Schott to be a bigot because she runs a good baseball team." Or "It's ok for Darryl Gates to be a bigot because he runs the police department". Unfortunately this easily translates into justifications which include and 'excusable minority' of bigots. "It's ok for some police officers in Philadelphia to be bigots, because on the whole most officers are not". Or "it's okay for that fraternity to be bigots because they need a home too." Or "It's okay for black people to be bigots because most white people are." The race man is intolerant of bigotry.

    Racial prejudice affects us all. We all know the stereotypes and we all keep them alive. That they have not changed much over the years demonstrates the staying power of racist ideas despite the fact that 99% of Americans will deny being ideological racists. But what effect does personal prejudice have? The race man is more properly concerned not with the fact of individual's personal prejudices but the degree to which it is distinct from or supported by racist ideas. An individual whose personal prejudice parallels a racial prejudice is not necessarily problematic, but does this individual extend the thinking? If I am white and my sister was beat up by a black person, I may come to fear blacks. But should I now believe them to be intellectually inferior and lazy as well? Should I seek to exemplify or debunk prejudices be they positive or negative?

    Susie
    We don't have a lot of etiquette on the POTUS forum, but I think it makes some sense to introduce yourself and maybe even talk about your dogs some before launching into lectures on racism.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    We don't have a lot of etiquette on the POTUS forum, but I think it makes some sense to introduce yourself and maybe even talk about your dogs some before launching into lectures on racism.
    And maybe read more than a comment or two so you understand where the poster is coming from.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  3. #43
    Senior Member dback's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    We don't have a lot of etiquette on the POTUS forum, but I think it makes some sense to introduce yourself and maybe even talk about your dogs some before launching into lectures on racism.
    A tip of the hat to ya Yardley
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

  4. #44
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    We don't have a lot of etiquette on the POTUS forum, but I think it makes some sense to introduce yourself and maybe even talk about your dogs some before launching into lectures on racism.
    Damn, Jeff! We agree on something else. I think this is the second time this month.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  5. #45
    Senior Member menmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    And it has NOTHING to do with the obvious slide towards socialism, and the developement of an oligarchy by Obama and his henchmen. What a batch of fools you continue to be.


    http://www.notintexas.org/Taking_Back_America.htm

    UB
    Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me! I'm not the fool, because I learned the first time. You are the one that is not admitting you hoodwink!

  6. #46
    Senior Member Hew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    The fact is that Democrats routinely supported legislation proposed by Bush, including supporting the adoption of misguided tax cuts in 2001...
    That's interesting. A little more than a year ago, when it suited your argument, you attempted to portray Bush as ramming the 2001 tax cuts through Congress without Democrat support because he was just so crazy partisan: http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ell#post392084 Now, when it suits your argument, you're claiming that the Democrats supported the 2001 tax cuts (you know, being the bipartisans they are, and all). I guess you can take any side in an argument just as long as you know which side the Democrats are on first. The only way you could be more nakedly partisan is if you're standing in the shower with an "I heart Hope and Change" tat on your arse.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

  7. #47
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    That's interesting. A little more than a year ago, when it suited your argument, you attempted to portray Bush as ramming the 2001 tax cuts through Congress without Democrat support because he was just so crazy partisan: http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ell#post392084 Now, when it suits your argument, you're claiming that the Democrats supported the 2001 tax cuts (you know, being the bipartisans they are, and all). I guess you can take any side in an argument just as long as you know which side the Democrats are on first. The only way you could be more nakedly partisan is if you're standing in the shower with an "I heart Hope and Change" tat on your arse.
    13 Democrats voted with Republicans in the House and 12 Democrats voted with Republicans in the Senate. Without those votes the bill would not have passed in either chamber. The remainder of Democrats voted no. No Republicans voted no although a few abstained.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Ok Hew, where did you get that avatar? That thing is awesome!

  9. #49
    Senior Member JDogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MRGV New Mexico
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    Ok Hew, where did you get that avatar? That thing is awesome!

    It was the result of weirding everyone out with his last one.



    There has been speculation that the current one is a self-representation, but that may only be half true. I doubt that hew is a smoker anymore, but I suspect he still dips a little bit.

    JD
    Last edited by JDogger; 04-26-2010 at 07:23 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

  10. #50
    Senior Member Hew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    Wow, a blast from the past. I'd forgotten all about Batboy. He was awesome. I also had Chakka the Monkey Boy from Land of the Lost for awhile until Smokin' Baby fell in my lap one day. I don't even remember where Smokin' Baby came from, DD. Serendipity I reckon.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •