The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: gulf spill

I support offshore drilling but not near areas that a disaster such as this could devistate their economies such as fishing and tourism. This accidents do not happen often anymore, but still happen.

The lobbiest get puplic support by telling you that not allowing drilling in these regions is the reason for high fuel prices, when the allowance of drilling in them would probablly not change the price at all. Now it would be good for the oil companies since it would give them a cheap exploration source, but we would see very little if any benefit.

Having said this, this oil spill we are seeing and has the potential of hurting many.

Follow the gold, it will usually will tell you the real story!

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    I support offshore drilling but not near areas that a disaster such as this could devistate their economies such as fishing and tourism.
    What coastal community does not receive a large portion of their income from fishing and tourism? What you are basically saying is that you don't support offshore drilling, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    What coastal community does not receive a large portion of their income from fishing and tourism? What you are basically saying is that you don't support offshore drilling, right?
    No....I live next to the gulf and they have been drilling and moving oil in my back yard for years. When I was a kid the beachs would be black with tar from the oil spills, so our beaches never became tourist attactions unless you lived close to them.

My point is that there are places that's economies are centralized around tourism and fishing. Lets not let Exxon kill their economies and then say I'm sorry and hire the best lawyers to clean up their mess and ruin the lives of the victims.

Ask the folks in Alaska about the Exxon Valdes spill and how Exxon made things right after they screwed it up.

But yes, I wish we were smart enough to come up with a better way of energy that did not have as many negative extranalities.

But I see you are sitting in the front row for Glenn and Rush still.

But yes, I wish we were smart enough to come up with a better way of energy that did not have as many negative extranalities.

It's all a matter of priorities. Over the years I have done work in the area of alternate energies and electric vehicles, and not one bit of it would have been done without government mandates and incentives.

About time you put up an avatar. Is that Sam? I thought he was running against Raven this weekend, but I guess not till Omaha. She is in Lincoln this weekend. Hope she can make it past the water blind...
    Last edited by Buzz; 04-29-2010 at 11:55 AM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    It's all a matter of priorities. Over the years I have done work in the area of alternate energies and electric vehicles, and not one bit of it would have been done without government mandates and incentives.

About time you put up an avatar. Is that Sam? I thought he was running against Raven this weekend, but I guess not till Omaha. She is in Lincoln this weekend. Hope she can make it past the water blind...
    That's Isaac my Derby dog. He won that blue ribbon last week, putting him on the list.

Sam's running River King. You are running Nebraska Dog & Hunt trail. Bobby use to split the truck and go to that one. Sam actually won his first trial there. Kari and I have fond memories from there.
    Last edited by menmon; 04-29-2010 at 02:55 PM.

I've always supported off shore drilling but now I'm not so sure. Almost a week and a half after the explosion the thing is still dumping 5,000 barrels a day into the Gulf. Earlier today Fox News was reporting it could take up to 90 days to stop the leak. If thats the case you can write off all the eastern and southern coastal areas of the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by gman0046 View Post
    I've always supported off shore drilling but now I'm not so sure. Almost a week and a half after the explosion the thing is still dumping 5,000 barrels a day into the Gulf. Earlier today Fox News was reporting it could take up to 90 days to stop the leak. If thats the case you can write off all the eastern and southern coastal areas of the U.S.
    All of us who sleep in warm homes (or cool homes, in the south) and drive to work and training grounds, will see to it that every drop of oil is sucked out of the ground, on shore and off shore. Despite being falsely accused of being a liberal (in some cases) I will be the first to admit that banning drilling ANYWHERE there is oil, is only temporary, until all the other oil is gone. So, we need to admit to ourselves that drilling WILL occur in sensitive areas, if not now, later, so lets' get busy figuring out safer ways to do it, and better ways to clean up the inevitable spills. The "failsafe" blow out valve needs to be renamed, as it apparently is NOT failsafe. I'll bet we as consumers paid a pretty penny for that heavy anchor. Granted, anything designed to operate 5000 under saltwater for years is not easy to guarantee, but we need to figure it out, unless we can figure out how to drive cars off of saltwater in the meantime.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

But I see you are sitting in the front row for Glenn and Rush still.
    If that's what you are seeing, you must be peeping in the wrong living room windows. Come up with something original.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gman0046 View Post
    They are now suggesting the actual spill may be double what has been quoted. Personally I never supported off shore drilling. At least not in my back yard. But then, their isn't any oil there anyway. I take a more local approach to the subject. It should be put up to a vote in the communities it affects. Let them decide if they want the business and the risk that goes with it.

I'm trying to figure out when it's a good time to buy BP stock.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)