The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How tall should a dog box be for a lab?

Default How tall should a dog box be for a lab?

I have been looking over Owens dog boxes, mostly because there is a dealer here in town. I like the Pro Hunter series, except that most of the dog boxes are only 17" high. That doesn't seem tall enough. The next size up with bottom storage is 32" tall and a 23" dog box that would basically cover the back window of my truck making it very hard to hook up to a trailer or check blind spots.

Whats the general consensus on height needed for a big male lab. My boy is 50 pounds at just over 5 months old.
    Gavin B.

The two hole Ainley I have are 23" tall, 22" wide, 36" deep.

Greg Seddon
    CFC HRCH Gunner, Flight Interceptor SH
    Gates Smoky Mountain Treasure QAA

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Does that seem about right or would 6inches shorter be ok?

Good lookin setup by the way.
    Gavin B.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Seddon View Post
    The two hole Ainley I have are 23" tall, 22" wide, 36" deep.

OK Sedon- it's official. I'm jealous.

Nice setup regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

I don't know how to do a quote but savage25xtreme you state:
    The next size up with bottom storage is 32" tall and a 23" dog box that would basically cover the back window of my truck making it very hard to hook up to a trailer or check blind spots.

My dog box is 20 inches high because I choose to park my truck in my garage. Back window is covered by the box. Does your truck have side mirrors? I can't remember the last time I looked out my back window. I hook up to a viariety of trialers, Landscape, snowmobile, horse trailer. Have not had a problem yet.

I have also had very tall field dogs in my 20 inch high boxes and they do not have any trouble in them.

Pattie
    Effective gun control is hitting what you aim at!

For a large lab, I like to see at least 23" tall, 20"-24" wide, and at least 36" deep, 40" is even better.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I have the owens dog box with only 17" of height. My big chocolate dog can get in it just find. He is tall and weighs about 80lbs. No he can't stand up but why does he need to? The 17"H box will work just fine but if I was picking today I would get the bigger box.

By the way in case you didn't figure it out thats the dog and box in my avatar

Hi Greg, I don't want to Hijack the thread but where to you get the fans?
    Thanks,
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Pattie View Post
    I don't know how to do a quote but savage25xtreme you state:
    The next size up with bottom storage is 32" tall and a 23" dog box that would basically cover the back window of my truck making it very hard to hook up to a trailer or check blind spots.

My dog box is 20 inches high because I choose to park my truck in my garage. Back window is covered by the box. Does your truck have side mirrors? I can't remember the last time I looked out my back window. I hook up to a viariety of trialers, Landscape, snowmobile, horse trailer. Have not had a problem yet.

I have also had very tall field dogs in my 20 inch high boxes and they do not have any trouble in them.

Pattie
    I always look out the back window when hooking up to my boat, I can get within a couple inches of the ball that way. if you can do that looking out your mirrors consider me impressed. Most times I'm hooking up I don't have a spotter guiding me back. Maybe what would be practical is to get the tall box and forget about the storage, that's what the bed of your truck is for right?

Thanks for the info all!

I measured the crate I'm using now and its 20" to the roof and he already has to duck when he is sitting.

Have a good friday, SRC training day is tomorrow!
    Last edited by savage25xtreme; 05-14-2010 at 08:14 AM.
    Gavin B.