RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Remote Sit

4K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  Pat Oneill 
#1 ·
We are currently on mini-T. When I blow the whistle for sit my dog doesn't turn all the way around. Instead of turning 180 degrees, she turns about halfway between 90 and 180 degrees. Is this ok or does the dog need to turn all the way around?

#3 ·
you want the dog to turn all the way around. a quick toot toot come in whistle and subsequent sit whistle will work to straighten her out.

A few yrs ago, I was at an Avery retriever seminar and there was a golden that would sit crooked on every whistle. The blind was probably 150 yds or so and I think he must have had 5-8 whistles... Each time his handler would yell 'SIT RIGHT!' in a most serious and somewhat disgusted voice..and then dog would automatically correct himself.. everyone got a real chuckle out of it...Danny Farmer really got a kick out of it...(he was the instructor for that level)...

Juli

#6 ·
Yes, and Mini-T is where that is supposed to begin. Are you working on a rope?

Evan

#8 ·
Yeah, I'm using a rope. When we started I was pulling the rope after I whistled. I didn't have a problem then. It's when I switched to just using a nick and keeping the rope loose. I guess I should just go back to the rope and every once in a while try to move on without using the rope. (keep it on her, but not pull it). Is using the "come-in" and then "sit" whistle to straighten her out acceptable or should I keep sitting straight the first time an absolute standard?

#10 ·
Is using the "come-in" and then "sit" whistle to straighten her out acceptable or should I keep sitting straight the first time an absolute standard?
Take it from me (i'm in the process of fixing a slow, looping sit).

Build your retriever the right way. :p

Spend a few more sessions working on the straight sit with a rope. It'll save you countless hours in the long run and you'll be glad you did.

#12 ·
Advice-Take a break when you get frustrated.;)

So, you went back to the rope and gave a "here"/nick/tug for a crooked sit. Did the dog not straighten up?

If you are running without a rope, what does the dog do when you give a "here"/nick for a crooked sit? Does the dog not straighten up then?

Did you try a "here"/burn? You may try this but if you don't get the response I wouldn't keep piling on the pressure, I'd simplify.

1st, I'd go back to a single back pile. No over piles until you get the crooked sit corrected. Also, you can try not casting to the back pile every time you stop, toss a come in bumper to remove the expectation of always turning to the back pile after stopping. I've also seen a trainer put up side rails along the line to a short pile (made from PVC tubing and vinyl siding). It looks about like the gutter rails at the bowling alley. He used this set up more for loopy sits rather than crooked sits but I thought I'd throw it in.

#14 ·
Find someone more experienced to help you. There is nothing better to learn dog training by personally watching a good trainer.

I too would use a rope for this small issue. Teach the dog to sit properly and square facing you first, then and when the dog sits off to the side on your mini-T, walk out snap him/her back into place with the rope, and at the same time whistle, SIT!, whistle then repeat. A little attrition and the dog will be on it's way to T and TT.

My 2-cents, good luck.

#16 ·
Take this for what its worth (not much). When I was teaching remote sit to my pup who was really hot, we started on a rope with no distractions and it went very well, we worked at it for about a month before I added bumpers, I would have her sitting remotely and when I tossed a bumper to ID the pile, she would spin 90* and stare at the bumper, a simple "Hey, Hey!" would put her attention back on me, but she wouldnt turn back correctly. Everytime she did that, I walked right back up to her and nudged her hindquarters back till she was straight, once she was straight, I praised her a little. I did this EVERY time, and never settled. I got very picky with it. After about a week of that she sat straight, but even so, being a hot pup, sometimes the fact that there were bumpers behind her was too much to bear, so I reinforced with a whistle, nick, whistle. After about a week that was the end of crooked sits. I did this twice a day, for 10-20min, 5 days a week. But this is just one guys experience with one dog... I think there are other methods that may be more effective, however, I also believe that the key in straightening this problem out was being persistant and not giving an inch.

#17 ·
Have a bumper with you ,release the dog to air or go for a walk. When he is out and about blow the sit whistle,if he is bumper crazy he will look at you.Twirl it by the rope if you need to. Throw the bumper, release the dog to retrieve it. Turns into a fun game and dog learns to look at you.

#19 ·
Update: I think I got it! I tried a couple of things. What worked was when I nicked with the E-collar while jerking the rope in the correct direction. Immediately afterwards I blew the sit whistle. I did this once and she seemed to understand. She sat straight on the very next sit whistle!

#20 ·
#25 ·
If you continue to have problems you might try using a rope in the water, you dog has fewer options while swimming, he will usually square up and look at you. After about a week you can test your results on land.
good luck
GG

#27 ·
When the dog sits correctly (even if it requires the use of a rope), walk out there (very slowly and cheerfully) and praise him. Let him know that is what you are looking for. Amazing what a simple scratch behind the ears can do.

#32 ·
A trainer I train with regularly (TN_Lab knows who) really preaches using "Good sit," as verbal praise both on land and in the water. It's amazing how much better your dog's attitude will be when you let the dog know that he or she is not in trouble and that you recognize the dog did as he or she was asked to do with the sit/tread water command before giving the cast. A little reward for effort goes a long way.

#33 ·
Evan G. youtube. Looks like Prado picture. Looks it was a good day.

I couldn't resist regarding teaching remote straight sit . I think praise is good, especially when sign of stress, tension or bored. I think when salting pile or tossing bumper its a great opportunity to que straighten sit with slight rope jiggle or step then vocal sit good sit. Dogs seem to thrive on vocus during drills upon connection between handler ques. I like to cultivate multi random piles salts and slight come in whisltes, makes it a game. It seems to really make them snap to attention and put some fun in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.