The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: benadryl for dogs

Default benadryl for dogs

Is benadryl allergy the same as basic benadryl? I was wanting to give my dog some for a bee sting but all I could find at wal-mart is the allergy version. Anyone know what I need to look for? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by claimsadj View Post
    Is benadryl allergy the same as basic benadryl? I was wanting to give my dog some for a bee sting but all I could find at wal-mart is the allergy version. Anyone know what I need to look for? Thanks
    Regular benadryl allergy will do just fine. The little pink ones? My girl is 60 lbs I give her two of them

Is she having symptoms?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Swelling on the muzzle, pretty minor and hasn't gotten any worse since the first hour. I'm not going to give anything unless it starts to get worse, he doesn't act like he is bothered by it at all either. thanks

Make sure the ONLY ingredient is Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). So many OTC medications have non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents that are toxic to dogs.

My vet tells me that dogs need 3-4 times the amount we do because the drug doesn't bind to their histamine receptors with the same affinity as it does to ours.

If it's any help, she told us to give our 85 pound German Shepherd between 3-4 capsules.

I'd say call your vet and make sure. We use the liquid Benadryl when our dogs' allergies start acting up.

Went to vet last week for bee sting. Before going to the vet...

Symptom was swelling above one eye. I gave one Benadryl and swelling went down within an hour. Swelling above eye returned that night accompanied by swelling of both ear flaps. Gave 1 more Benadryl. Next morning no swelling above eye, but ear flaps really swollen. Gave 2 Benadryl and went to vet that afternoon.

Vet gave antihistamine and said continue with 3 Benadryl 3 times per day. All swelling gone in two days.

Vet said 3 25mg Benadryl tablets, 3 times daily for 80 pound dog.

Warning: Vet said use only plain Benadryl, not Benadryl with acetaminophen.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
    Went to vet last week for bee sting. Before going to the vet...

Symptom was swelling above one eye. I gave one Benadryl and swelling went down within an hour. Swelling above eye returned that night accompanied by swelling of both ear flaps. Gave 1 more Benadryl. Next morning no swelling above eye, but ear flaps really swollen. Gave 2 Benadryl and went to vet that afternoon.

Vet gave antihistamine and said continue with 3 Benadryl 3 times per day. All swelling gone in two days.

Vet said 3 25mg Benadryl tablets, 3 times daily for 80 pound dog.

Warning: Vet said use only plain Benadryl, not Benadryl with acetaminophen.
    Thanks for posting this..have used Benadryl for a sting (not sure what the bug was) and vet said ok to use. Above is good to know..

Judy

Hey, I had a lab (Maggie) that was car sick, the doctor suggested Benadryl for the motion sickness. We used it for the first year to help her out and it worked. Maggie ended up getting two titles in NAHRA, two in AKC and hunting Canada numerous times. Lots of travel time and and no problems...

Just FYI, my Sadie's various allergies require 2 Benadryl both morning & evening. I give them to her right before she eats (regular meal at night, and a "token" 1/2 cup in the morning). I buy the Costco brand, and they seem to help the allergies a lot. They don't seem to affect her energy or drive, so whatever sedative effect they have seems to be insignificant.