The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Broader Look at Drills

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieversONLINE View Post
    OKay let`s talk about those demographics becasue I agree it`s a bigger battle to try and get unanimous definitions. I agree the HEP`S and UEA'S are in the minority. They go their own way anyway. So, when I talk to those who do not have a great deal of experience, the first thing thay ask is about is WHAT to do, even in this day and age of information overload. Then, they want to know HOW and finally some ask WHY.
    I am not convinced that their problem is a lack of grounds, sculpted ponds and no help. While those things are very important, all you have to do is look at a training group when they have access to all of that. They often still don't know what to do, how or why. Usually, they set up last weeeknd's test so they can correct their dog!

This Forum also provides ample evidence of a need for WHAT. However, I do think a lot of people are learning some of these field ways through diagrams, photos and discussions like those on this forum. I start most of my articles off with explaining WHY. I think if people started off with the WHY they would know better WHAT to do. In many ways the HOW is the simplest of all-lots of info out there if you do your homework.

If you understand why it is important to teach a certain skill and why things should be done in a certain sequence and why a dog doesn't get it, it's a lot easier to choose what to do. If you understand why a drill can help you or conversely why a field set-up would be better, we'd see much wiser use of drills.

I totally agree that drills provife a fundamental role in developing a solid foundation and because of their structure and repetition can be used to teach dogs a great deal. I do not condone blindly doing drills without understanding their purpose or if the dog needs it or if there is a better way. A case in point for me are 8-handed WW casting drills and Walking Baseball. I'll wager I haven't done either more than 5X in the past 10 years simply because I think there are more effective and efficient ways for me. On the other hand, I do the Lining Wagon-wheel Drill all the time.

Know the Whys of your drills and the Whats for the field. The How's are the easiest part to learn.

Cheers
    I regularly take training groups and individuals with individual requirements and group synergies. Most expect the trainer to do it,and some expect the trainer/narrator to tell them how to do it. There are a few that learn and ask 'why/how'?.....there are even less that 'Do'!....Drills and programs give them something to follow and act as a 'silent mentor'? -Perhaps-, but nothing will or ever should replace the 'Do and Do right' ...just my thoughts after learning from you guy's over the past few years.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Default Walking Baseball. I'll wager I haven't done either more than 5X in the past 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    If you can negotiate Walking Baseball on water, I have a bottle of fine wine I'd like to have a case or two of, please( I don't use emoticons, but if I did this would be a smiley face).

WB exercises only a casting skill and our goal is to have a dog learn the mechanics of being sent from your side, take then hold an accurate initial line and then take casts on to the final destination. Short answer: other blind exercises accomplish more in the same amount of time and with similar effort on the part of the trainer. But then you almost answered that question yourself, I'll add the fix"...to me it can be very similar (but less effective than) cold walk around blinds."
    I've been doing walking baseball on water for 20 years, through 4 labs..simply use waders
    and marshy water knee to thigh deep.
    If I send you a link to a video of waliking baseball on water, will you ship me that fine wine to my Montana address?

Quote Originally Posted by MissSkeeter View Post
    I've been doing walking baseball on water for 20 years, through 4 labs..simply use waders
    and marshy water knee to thigh deep.
    If I send you a link to a video of waliking baseball on water, will you ship me that fine wine to my Montana address?
    Would be delighted to ship to you, provided you make sufficient guarantee that you would return a case of same.

If the spirit moves you, please send the link, I may not be the only Philistine on the forum and it might be inspirational for many.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    There are a few that learn and ask 'why/how'?.....there are even less that 'Do'!....Drills and programs give them something to follow and act as a 'silent mentor'?.
    For the most part, I think you nailed it!
    One proviso; as an urbanite most of my training is done in city parks early in the morning, birds and gun shot are not an option, neither are adequate cover and topographic diversity....drills are an essential week day training tool to prepare for the weekend.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    I regularly take training groups and individuals with individual requirements and group synergies. Most expect the trainer to do it,and some expect the trainer/narrator to tell them how to do it. There are a few that learn and ask 'why/how'?.....there are even less that 'Do'!....Drills and programs give them something to follow and act as a 'silent mentor'? -Perhaps-, but nothing will or ever should replace the 'Do and Do right' ...just my thoughts after learning from you guy's over the past few years.
    Great discussion!!

Most group people don't; but certainly express their opinions on how you should run your dog without involving whys or what you are doing? They just want to mold you to their ways. The right way to teach yourself and your dog is not always found in a group. There is so much to learn. I believe you need an experienced person to run you through this information provided in this post to understand it. JMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Great discussion!!

Most group people don't; but certainly express their opinions on how you should run your dog without involving whys or what you are doing? They just want to mold you to their ways. The right way to teach yourself and your dog is not always found in a group.
    X2. You can get set ups done with groups that you can't do alone. But many times the practices (and advice) are somewhat less than stellar. I'm not discouraging groups...far from it. Just use caution about what you pick up there.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile