The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tune-Up Drills

Default Tune-Up Drills

Figured i would just start a new thread about this topic.

Im a big fan of tune-up drills but had some questions about what kind of regularity you all decide to implement them into your training routines.

I just finished up running a good tune-up drill and was wanting some input on how often to return to using this particular tune-up drill (running on this same pond and same blind locations and same desired line to blind)?

The issue is, this pond I use for the tune-up is one of the only ponds that I have access to with good points to work a couple of the concepts I want to focus on (over and off points, swimming past points, etc) so my options for getting repetition on these same concepts are very limited in other locations. Do I come back to this tune up next month? Next week? Next year? Based on need or specific situation???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by redleg06 View Post
    Figured i would just start a new thread about this topic.

Im a big fan of tune-up drills but had some questions about what kind of regularity you all decide to implement them into your training routines.

I just finished up running a good tune-up drill and was wanting some input on how often to return to using this particular tune-up drill (running on this same pond and same blind locations and same desired line to blind)?

The issue is, this pond I use for the tune-up is one of the only ponds that I have access to with good points to work a couple of the concepts I want to focus on (over and off points, swimming past points, etc) so my options for getting repetition on these same concepts are very limited in other locations. Do I come back to this tune up next month? Next week? Next year? Based on need or specific situation???

good post, i need more of these as well......responders please post diagrams to help...

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    good post, i need more of these as well......responders please post diagrams to help...
    .......x2!
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Emphasizes angles, driving up out of the water and channeling along a shoreline:

Emphasizes going over points, missing points, angles, staying in the water, etc.:

Wow. That's a heck of a training pond!
    For my young boy we went back to single and dbl T's on land. I was not getting good response on angle backs so we worked on that.
    Today we ran some long - 200, 250yd - water blinds angled over points. His work was much tighter and cast responses very good. The "T" work seemed to click on.
    Slap me in the head, but "back to basics" is sometimes the best approach.

Lovely pond. Very imaginative design! Looks like you could spend a good deal of time having fun on that one.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

[QUOTE=redleg06;641883]Figured i would just start a new thread about this topic.

The issue is, this pond I use for the tune-up is one of the only ponds that I have access to with good points to work a couple of the concepts I want to focus on (over and off points, swimming past points, etc) so my options for getting repetition on these same concepts are very limited in other locations. Do I come back to this tune up next month? Next week? Next year? Based on need or specific situation???[/QUOTE]

Anyone...?

Quote Originally Posted by redleg06 View Post
    Optimally, run each Tune-up drill daily for 3-5 days. Then design a new one. You can do each new one on the same pond from different directions, if you like. Just give each one a new look.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Optimally, run each Tune-up drill daily for 3-5 days. Then design a new one. You can do each new one on the same pond from different directions, if you like. Just give each one a new look.

Evan
    so run all 5 lines for 3-5 days? the same way, regardless of wind?
    and how are you running them? as sight blinds, pattern blinds, cold blinds, or marks?

I wish I could somehow post a diagram up, but can't as of yet. I like to focus on weaknesses and drilling in those areas a neccessity vs. just a "habit forming drill". One area that I don't see many folks talk about is seeking hidden water. It's difficult for many to train for it without finding the right terrain that offers rolling landscape and water that's out of view from the line, but it's something that I've added into the toolbox of fun.