The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Retriever Training Step by Step plan

Default Retriever Training Step by Step plan

Hey there, I am wondering if any dog trainers out there have an established written retriever training plan from A to Z. I have found Mike Lardy's flow chart, but I like Wildrose Kennels' format. Their structure is:
    I) Categories
    A) Sub-categories
    1.)skills
    Does anyone have or know where to get a plan like this? I have been training for years, but I have never written it down. I am in the process of creating a written plan and I would love everyone's imput.
    Thanks, Spahu

The six categories that Wildrose Kennels focus on are
    1.Obedience
    2.Steady/Honor
    3.Marking
    4.Conditioned Delivery
    5.Handling(Hand signals/Whistle Commands)
    6.Lining
    Each category has sub categories and skills attached.
    EXAMPLE
    I Obedience
    A. Sit/Stay
    1. Sit on command/on whistle
    2. Sit on hand signal
    3. sit on recall
    4.sit/stay with distractions
    5.sit on tree stand/pit blinds
    6.sit alone remote, 5min, 10mins
    7.ETC.
    I will be posting my plan in several weeks and it will be in this format.
    Anyone that has any imput please feel free to reply
    Last edited by spahu; 07-14-2010 at 05:28 PM.

As part of your quest for information I suggest you go to the link below and download every document. Read and study them all of them and you'll probably come away with a better understanding of retriever training.

http://www.weebegoldens.com/JC%20Seminar%20Info.htm
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Thanks Breck, but I was not looking for advice per say. I was trying to have people post their training plans so we could share and compare. Every time I try to look up progression plans I run into LARDY's Total Retriever and Evan Graham's SMARTWORK. I would appreciate it if people could post a reply with a plan attached. Excluding initial puppy training basics this is an Example: 1)Force fetch 2) Steadiness 3)Whistle sit/commands 4) Casting 5) Handling patterns; Wagon wheels 6) Lining..... etc. I feel that flow charts are a little confusing and would love to see others A to Z plans. This seems to be the Holy Grail for beginners and amateurs. Half the battle is to determine what to teach and in what order. This issue seems to be a little secretive in the world of retriever training because experienced trainers that have established written plans do not want to spill their beans. These trainers just want to talk people into buying their own plans.
    Thanks, Spahu

Quote Originally Posted by spahu View Post
    Thanks Breck, but I was not looking for advice per say. I was trying to have people post their training plans so we could share and compare. Every time I try to look up progression plans I run into LARDY's Total Retriever and Evan Graham's SMARTWORK. I would appreciate it if people could post a reply with a plan attached. Excluding initial puppy training basics this is an Example: 1)Force fetch 2) Steadiness 3)Whistle sit/commands 4) Casting 5) Handling patterns; Wagon wheels 6) Lining..... etc. I feel that flow charts are a little confusing and would love to see others A to Z plans. This seems to be the Holy Grail for beginners and amateurs. Half the battle is to determine what to teach and in what order. This issue seems to be a little secretive in the world of retriever training because experienced trainers that have established written plans do not want to spill their beans. These trainers just want to talk people into buying their own plans.
    The half the battle that you mention (determining what to teach in what order) is out there on Lardy's and Graham's web site for free. There are no secrets. It's right their at the click of a mouse. And if you'd come up with a couple hundred dollars, you could get out there training dogs today with a proven plan rather than spending the next several weeks (these plans you mention were developed over a considerably longer period of time, I'm sure) trying to reinvent the wheel.

These flow charts, that you find confusing, tell you to do Formal Obedience, then Force Fetch, then Simple Casting... all for free. Frankly, I'm confused by your comments.

So captain Jack what you are telling me is that these two ways are the only ways to train a retriever? Frankly sir I'm confussed by your comments. Good day. j/k
    Thanks, Spahu

Spahu,

My .02 is that Mike Lardy's Total Retriever Flow Chart is a step by step plan, start at the top and work your way down. It is not secretive and costs nothing as the flow chart can be viewed and downloaded from the totalretriever.com web site.

I don't see the logic in trying to invent my own plan when several professional trainers who have years of experience and hundreds of dogs under their belts make their programs available.

Which method/technique/program/etc. you use to teach the skills listed on the chart is up to you. But if you buy a proven program, you can always list it in the classifieds when you are finished and get most of the cost back.

Kendall

Quote Originally Posted by spahu View Post
    So captain Jack what you are telling me is that these two ways are the only ways to train a retriever? Frankly sir I'm confussed by your comments. Good day. j/k
    I'm not surprised that you would be confused. If you can't follow a simple flow chart, well...

I'm just telling you that if half the battle is determining what to teach and in what order as you say it is, well then half the battle has already been won.

Lardy, Graham, Stawski, etc. are not secretive at all. They put what you need to teach, in what order it needs to be taught, right out there on there web site for all to see.

No, these aren't the only ways to train a retriever. But they're a pretty good place to start.

Most people here follow TRT because each step is built on the preceeding step in a specific order. The reason we use it, is that it works. If you make up your own plan you won't be able to get help if you get stuck.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    Most people here follow TRT because each step is built on the preceeding step in a specific order. The reason we use it, is that it works. If you make up your own plan you won't be able to get help if you get stuck.
    And I'll add, another reason we follow TRT is that the guy doing the talking (Lardy) has won 7 Nationals and trained numerous other dogs that have won Nationals with their Amateur handlers. This gives his methods instant credibility. Couple that with the fact that his program is based on the work of Rex Carr, who's reputation speaks for itself.

I keep following these rainbows and running into these pots of gold. How frustrating. Maybe I can find another path to follow. Any ideas out there???