The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: KRD drill with flyer as 'poison bird'

Default KRD drill with flyer as 'poison bird'

I ran a KRD (Key Relationship Drill) with Hitch today, using a flyer (blindfolded). Mark was about 100 yds Blinds were tight behind the gun station, under the arc, and close to and outside the fall (all deep of the fall)...

Hitch did a very nice job handling away from the bird on all three blinds. Yes, he did suck to the bird, but had good initial lines. He never tried to scallop back or anything like that once I cast him toward the blinds...

My question is...he has a good understanding of 'blinds' vs 'marks'...Is there ever a time when I should give him a correction for not trying to maintain his initial line (for letting the suction of the bird draw him offline)...I feel he is coming along far enough in his training that he should be starting to make some (better) decisions with regards to this....

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    I ran a KRD (Key Relationship Drill) with Hitch today, using a flyer (blindfolded). Mark was about 100 yds Blinds were tight behind the gun station, under the arc, and close to and outside the fall (all deep of the fall)...

Hitch did a very nice job handling away from the bird on all three blinds. Yes, he did suck to the bird, but had good initial lines. He never tried to scallop back or anything like that once I cast him toward the blinds...

My question is...he has a good understanding of 'blinds' vs 'marks'...Is there ever a time when I should give him a correction for not trying to maintain his initial line (for letting the suction of the bird draw him offline)...I feel he is coming along far enough in his training that he should be starting to make some (better) decisions with regards to this....

Juli
    I personally would consider this drill a succes given the information supplied and not seeing it in person. If he has the casting off part down i wouldn't screw with it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by greg magee View Post
    I personally would consider this drill a succes given the information supplied and not seeing it in person. If he has the casting off part down i wouldn't screw with it too much.
    I find myself agreeing with Greg Magee.

The more of these you do the less he'll be affected by the mark. Also, I tend to do about 2/3rds mark and then blinds and 1/3rd poison bird blinds, and then pick up the mark.
    Last edited by Howard N; 07-22-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Thanks Greg and Howard,

I don't do KRD's with poison birds often...but at the last hunt test and in training he has shown an inclination to take out of order flyers first.....This is one way I have of teaching him he can't get the flyer first (since I often do not have a way to do multiple marks.

That said, I will not use corrections in the future...

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Can you do to many poison bird drills I've been doing some with my young dog but I found that now when I run him on inline marks or marks that that are very tight with the short bird as the go bird he treats the short bird like a poison bird and will not pick it up but by passes it and goes for the long bird.

Could someone explain the KRD drill?

Quote Originally Posted by Archery1973 View Post
    Could someone explain the KRD drill?
    1973, It to is on the link I provided for you on the other marking thread.

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA