RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Cosmo Breeding

6K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  agilek9's 
#1 ·
I talked to Kathy Olson and found out what cosmo's stud fee was, and asked how long it's been sense he produced a litter. I was rather shocked when I heard 1 year :confused:
The link below speaks for itself . Wonder why he's not being used more ?

http://www.dogcatbreeder.com/dare_to_dream.html

#9 ·
I think by now that trialers who know dogs and trialers who study their pedigrees have deduced that Cosmo was an EIC carrier -- as were (and are) some other very talented stud dogs.

With the advent of the EIC test, more selective breeding decisions can be made.

As the breeder, we can decide to breed our EIC carrier bitches only to EIC clear stud dogs... or not at all. As the owner of an EIC carrier stud dog, we can advertise that only EIC clear bitches will be bred. I think I have seen at least one ad in Retriever News for an EIC carrier stud dog accepting only clear bitches.

Back to Cosmo... I never saw him run. I've just heard the stories about him. I know he is credited with producing some pretty wild and crazy dogs and that this wild-crazy, fire breathing dragon personality and behavior is said to continue down to grandkids and to great grandkids.

Whether this too hot to handle personality/behavior should be attributed to Cosmo is hard to determine, but he sure gets credit for it.

Don't get me wrong about Cosmo. While I wouldn't closely line breed on Cosmo and I would not breed an EIC carrier bitch to him, I look for Cosmo when studying pedigrees because I like the good things credited to him. IMHO one of the best dogs Cosmo produced was Carbon.

Obviously a Carbon fan,

#6 ·
I talked to Kathy Olson and found out what cosmo's stud fee was, and asked how long it's been sense he produced a litter. I was rather shocked when I heard 1 year :confused:
The link below speaks for itself . Wonder why he's not being used more ?

http://www.dogcatbreeder.com/dare_to_dream.html

My guess would be that there are some good/great Cosmo sons out there that could be used

#12 ·
I can vouch that my dog out of Cosmo is a fire breathing dragon. However she is very quick to learn, always eager to please, excellent marker and liner, wonderful hunting dog and a baby doll in the house. I have tested her and she is a Eic carrier. I don't know anyone who has a littermate that tested EIC affected. One did test clear. The Dam is EIC carrier for sure. I wasn't aware that Cosmo was also a carrier. The dog wasn't tested till well after my dog was grown.
I do plan on breeding her. SHe is 3 years old and has a HRCH title. She will be breed to a FC clear stud. Her cycle should be in a couple months or so.
I'd like to breed to FC AFC Joey's Zoom Zoom. I have vnot contacted the owner yet. Hoping Zoom is clear of CNM and EIC.

#13 · (Edited)
I bred my HRCH/MH-Stepper bitch to Cosmo twice with a total of 14 pups. I keep up with about half of them. Some are EIC carriers. Dam was EIC clear/CNM carrier.
The pups that I have kept up with include 3 FCs, 1 QAA, 2 MHs, 1 HRCH. ALL are hard going firebreathers, but none that I know of are vocal. One of the MHs is the dam of FC-Blackwater's Last Resort-"Finn", 1 QAA, and a MNH.

I WOULD LOVE ANOTHER COSMO PUP!!! Out of the right bitch of course.

#14 ·
robertnla: I can vouch that my dog out of Cosmo is a fire breathing dragon. However she is very quick to learn said:
Ditto here. My fire breathing Cosmo bitch is also a carrier. We recently bred her to FC Pow who is clear, and kept a BLF carrier and YLM clear. We tested the litter of 9 and had only 3 clear.

#15 ·
The Winner of the 2010 National Amateur is a grandson of Cosmo. (Buster is eic cleared.)
Which means I have great grandchildren of Cosmo here that sure seem to be wonderful puppies, so far so good. This is my third litter sired by Buster; considering the dams, both my husband and I have commented that they seem calmer than we expected. Plenty of spunk when needed, but cuddly in the arms. This current litter's mother, Sparkle, is nothing but wonderful. She is an eic carrier, so I was dismayed to hear the 3 out of 9 report.
I also have a 1 year old great-granddaughter of Cosmo with 3 JH passes (Pixie is eic cleared) and steady on the line. She is not a voicer. Full of energy! Her daddy is AFC Carbons Blue Pursuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.