The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: In accordance with your understanding of our Constution, should the mosque be built?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, that's the law, like it or not.

3 5.56%
  • No, the Freedom of Religion does not apply, and they should be denied

5 9.26%
  • No, although they are legally correct and have the right to build, it is just too insensitive

46 85.19%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why no Mosque at Ground Zero?

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    the Dixie flag is all but banned.

i love Dixie. my ancestors fought for the south, and like most they didnt own or care about owning slaves. it wasnt about slavery for them. it was about states rights and the imbalance of federal funding of infrastructure vs taxes. there were other issues, you know.

but the KKK hijacked the flag and warped its symbolism. it has become a symbol of hate. although i have every right to proudly wear the flag and display it, i choose not to because i understand the hurt it causes.

i can be sensitive to others feelings and adjust, why cant they? i dont have to flaunt the bars and stars, why must they flaunt islam?

every day we make decisons in out personal lives not based on what we CAN do, but what we SHOULD do.

why cant they?

we are continually told we must tolerate and be sensitive to "their" feelings and religion.

why cant they reciprocate?

do they not see that all they are doing is cementing and fertilizing the hatred many in america have for islam? it is their intolerance that is the problem now.

the seeds you sow so shall ye reap
    That is the BEST argument for them NOT building near GZ, while still maintaining their "right" to do so. Great analogy.

I felt the same way when the flag-banning movement was underway. Although, you had public and gov't institutions in question, not privately owned property as in this case, but the principle remains.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    Just want to make exceptions because of an affiliation to a religion do you? Well how about tomorrow we declare that Catholics can't build a church within 10 blocks from a school because.......well because we all know the problems with Catholic priests and young boys or maybe let's say we limit what Protestants can build down south because again we all know that most members of the KKK were Protestants........... I hope you get the point here, it's the principal to be free from discrimination that the Constitution clearly states that is important.

Look, there are some things that come with Free speech that I find truly repugnant, such as burning the flag, or protesting at soldiers funerals, but I believe sincerely that going down a slippery slope and restricting Free speech in more and more instances that we simply disagree with is far worse than allowing it to happen and not feeling to good about it. The same holds true for Religious discrimination
    Oh, I agree but I was talking about legal ways to prevent it. As to protesting soldiers funerals, it's been tried around here and has met with no success thanks in part to group of Harley riders.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    Oh, I agree but I was talking about legal ways to prevent it. As to protesting soldiers funerals, it's been tried around here and has met with no success thanks in part to group of Harley riders.
    See here is the problem with “legal” ways to prevent it. Today it seems like a good idea because after all they are Muslims and they hate us so it is OK to use a law to deny their constitutional right. That is a very slippery slope that can come back around to bite you in the ass. I am not a fan of using a law to prevent ANYONE form doing something that is a right. Kind of like malls putting up signs saying you cannot carry a concealed weapon in even if you have a permit and the right to carry. They are using trespass laws to try (of course it is just a suggestion in Florida and all they can do is ask you to leave IF they know you carry and if it is concealed they should never know you carry) deny your right to carry. Locally we just had a town try to use zoning laws to keep a Subway sandwich shop from opening in the downtown area. The real reason was because “they”, a very small but active group, wanted only nice restaurants in the down town area. That too is wrong. Rights (I know some of my examples are not actually rights) are not about popular opinion and that is what protects them as rights. I think if it were based on popular opinion satanic worship would be illegal (I am sure some here would like that idea), but in fact ALL religion is protected regardless of if 2 people practice it or millions do.
    The best solution to this issue is for the people building this to decide for themselves not to build it. If they make this decision based on popular opinion that is fine, it is still their decision and not the masses denying them their constitutional rights. This is what I hope happens, that they use their better judgment and realize that this is a very sensitive issue and that building there will do far more harm than good. Time will tell, but I bet even if they do build it there in 2 years time nobody will care and all of us bitching about it on the internet will have not event thought about it.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Aside from the site controversy of the mosque, do you know the mosques Imam is on a tour of muslim countries and that their mosques are being renovated and rebuilt with good old USA tax dollars? WTF?

gman. are you at work? that seems like a waste of good tax dollars as well if you are posting while at work
    Pot meet kettle
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    The fear and hate mongers have seized this issue for political gain. The fact is muslims represent a HUGE chunk of the population in and around the area in question. The other fact nobody seems willing to address is that the Muslim population of NY city did NOT blow up the trade center. A very small contingent of foreign fanatics who call themselves Muslims did. There is a difference. To blame all Muslims for the trade center destruction is akin to blaming all Jews for the death of Christ. It is ludicrous. Hate mongers are having a field day with this one.
    Where Muslims, Jews, Christians, Atheists, or anybody else choose to worship is their business. Nobody with half a brain cares anyway.
    If I truly believed the push to build this shrine in this location at this point in time was based on a desire to foster better understanding and acceptance of Islam, it wouldn't make me so uncomfortable. Apparently, the majority of people feel this way too. Perhaps I have a Pollyanna view, but I do not believe a majority of the U.S. population can be characterized as hate mongering racists.

While this sentiment of BBG's would be the best possible outcome:

The best solution to this issue is for the people building this to decide for themselves not to build it.
    Sadly I believe they won't back down because those pushing for it came to this country to afford themselves of our freedoms while simultaneously using them to bludgeon us. I did not vote because of the wording "should". It should not be built, even though the Constitution provides that it could.
    Last edited by Julie R.; 08-17-2010 at 10:49 AM.

I heard two things today which sort of disturb me.

1. This project did not go through the normal zoning/re-zoning process but rather they were given extraordinary approval to proceed.

2. A Greek Orthodox church was destroyed in the 9/11 attack. For some reason, the church was not allowed to rebuild by the City of New York. Since it was destroyed by the attack, one would presume that it was in at least the same proximity as this project.

Does anyone know whether these are true or not?

Eric

It would appear that the Imam Rauf deserves more investigation into his motives.

Got some research to do on that ... but not until my new cellphone can be made to work!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Since none of the "middle of the road independents" will comment on the thread on this, I will just share it here.

This is a damned good reason NOT to build this Mosque!!!

"It was my pleasure to ride with the Veterans of America Motocycle Club this past weekend.

Awesome bunch of men & women!!

It was my HONOR to have talked with a couple of fine young Marines just back from Iraq.
    Terrific guys, intelligent, well spoken, courteous and respectful.
    Something dramatically missing in so many today.

When the discussion turned to the Mosques it was quite disturbing what they had to share.

In Iraq, the Muslims are dancing in the streets and taunting the US personnel about their VICTORY in building the Mosque in the place where they brought America to it's knees.

They also claim that many of the Muslims beleive they have a Muslim in the Whitehouse.

Has anyone else heard this from any of our returning HERO'S??

These young warriors were stunned that there is no mention of this in the accomplice/press.

Now mind you, I have no links to support this, just the word of 2 MEN who just finished SERVING their country with HONOR and DIGNITY.

I am sure we will find a link from Huffington or a multi paragraph monologue opening with "Actually......blah blah blah...."

I am just sharing what these Marines told us.

In the off chance these men where HONEST about what they encountered, gives pause folks.

I highlighted some important words that some here have NO grasp of!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    It would appear that the Imam Rauf deserves more investigation into his motives.

Got some research to do on that ... but not until my new cellphone can be made to work!
    You might start with:

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/i...asp?indid=2462
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth