RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Where are the best current litters?

13K views 53 replies 37 participants last post by  Ted Shih 
#1 ·
Perhaps this will be a bit tough to discuss, but here goes.
I am in the market for a new field trial dog. I prefer a pup.
Where are the best current dogs. Bitches and studs.

I can get a "Buster" pup but am unsure of the bitch.

I have had both Lean Mac and Marathon Man dogs.......could not be
happier with them. But, am unsure of which kennels to check.
There is a LOT of junk out there.

My budget is $1000-$2000...........any suggestions?

I will be at the Duluth Trial this weekend if you wish to suggest
folks that might be there.

G
#4 ·
It is almost impossible to cover all the variables. Since you are interested in a Buster pup, your best bet is to talk with Pete Hayes directly and see what breedings he (Buster, not Pete ;-)) has been getting.

Once you find out pedigrees, you might be able to get more specific answers to your questions. Also, Pete will have seen most of the girls up close and personal so could provide you with some valuable input.

#5 ·
#6 ·
IMHO I would look at a couple of different lists

1. sires with multiple progeny in the last 2-3 National Am & Open...for example at this years NARC there were 14 Fargo II dogs entered, 5 from Hawkeye's Candlewood Shadow

2. look at the derby lists from the last 2-5 yrs, those dogs will be today's and tomorrows national contenders

3. between those two lists see which names and or bloodlines seem to reappear....(read Webshire's Honest Abe):D

4. now the hard part...find a bitch to breed to that bloodline:rolleyes:

#48 ·
I think Bon has offered some good advice. Study the pedigrees of successful competitors (male and female). See if you can determine which bloodlines seem to "nick".

Pay equal attention to the bitch. Don't give all the credit to the stud dog.

Helen

#7 ·
Field of dreams Kennels
Brad Lafave

Sire: "Champ"

RK

#18 ·
Anyone else ponder inbreeding V outcrossing, pros and cons regarding working traits?

Are the days of supersires in the US past?

What questions would you suggest to ask dam and sire owners? CCL disease? When they acquired the bitch?

#20 ·
Smiling, smiling, smiling, thankyou. I wonder?

Last litter, currently 11 weeks of age. Total outcross. Yank (my US import) daughter, and my older stud. Very interested to see how they mature in their new all very very experienced homes.

#21 ·
Located in Rochester, MN.
Born on the 4th of July. 3 titled dogs in FC Regi’s litter. 4 titled dogs in Greti’s (all-age pts) litter.

This is as CLOSE and as Good as you are gonna get !

They were also raised right......I know that for sure !

#25 ·
Hint..Hint

#29 ·
I'm picking up my 8wk old CLF from Born2retrieve in northcentral PA next Saturday the 28th. From what I've heard from others that have bought from Greg and Christine the dogs are fantastic. The dog's pedigrees seem very strong and they are really great people to work with. Greg also does training if someone is interested in that route. I think there is one CLF left from the litter but they also have a BLF that is due to have her litter soon. Might be worth you checking into them?

#36 ·
That there is funny I don't care who you are!

#31 ·
Nothing in the RTF classifieds is appealing? When I am looking at litters I look here and on EE first unless I happen to know someone first hand that's breeding and exceptional dog.

This post has been deleted
#37 ·
Flea market parking lot. :p

You know they are gonna be great if the breeder doesn't even spring the cash to rent a spot at the flea market (probably doesn't want to be bombarded with all the kids poking and pulling on the pups :p)

#35 ·
All I know is it is difficult to find the right litter....even knowing people who know people who have a friend....it's just a PITA! Especailly for the top of the line FT breedings....

#40 · (Edited)
A difficulty is that a number of people who have and decide to breed females with all age placements are not regular breeders themselves. Some litters are never publicized and owners may even have difficulty selling all the pups. Others run into the risk always faced with FC-FC breedings -- a dam that is a little too old and a litter that is very small.

If you check derby and qualifying placements, you are likely to find a small number of breeders whose dogs are placing on a regular basis from multiple dams. Frank and Rita Jones in Florida seem to show up on all the right lists, for example, as does Mike Beadle in SD, who is active on RTF. Vikki Diehl at Twin Pines, who also posts on RTF, is another whose pups have been successful. (There are many others)

EntryExpress doesn't let you search by breeder. However, if you look at dogs sired by the top sires, and then use the results to pick out the dams that are producing the greatest numbers of QAA and titled dogs, I suspect you will begin to see some patterns emerge. In looking at trial results, I focus mostly on derby and Qualifying dogs since those are the dams that are most likely to still be breeding.

#41 ·
Thank you Jeff.

I've got a breeding with Lotto and Riggs due to whelp next week. I know what Riggs has produced to this point and we really like what we see. There are some folks on this website who own some of them. They keep plugging away with there puppies, not because they are billionaires (maybe they are), rather, they know what a great trial dog is.

I own Riggs' younger full sibling sister...last 4 trials - 2 qualifying 2nd's and 2 RJ's took home a ribbon in 60%+ of the 28 trials she's entered, another Riggs littermate won an AM 2 weeks ago and Star the dam has produced 7/8 QAA dogs, several with all age wins that are currently and competitively running trials. I'm sure by this fall Star will have at least two more puppies that are qualified all age.

Lotto the dam.....well, I own some nice dogs....and she is no doubt one of them. I'd say my best dog to date is Maggie (Riggs sister...awfully partial to her...my puppy from my breeding and doing really well in trials), however, when it comes to waterfowl hunting, I take Lotto! I should have pushed more for her to run trials. We did the hunt test game with her, she titled and qualified for the master national and then I decided that was enough money spent on one dog. We kind of reached the pinnacle of a hunt test dogs career and felt there was no reason to have her continue getting more master passes. At that point I should have went to the qualifiyings and then all age.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.