The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Rocket indicted for perjury

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Because Congress would like nothing better than to take away MLB anti trust exemption....there is a lot of revenue in professional sports that they would like to get their hands on
    How would repealing the exemption put more money in Congress' hands?

Quote Originally Posted by dixidawg View Post
    How would repealing the exemption put more money in Congress' hands?
    Regulation...taxation...being able to seize franchises like the Texas Rangers when their owner bails and defaults...they did it with GM.. ever wonder how much money is bet on professional sports each year
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Wasn't Blago convicted of fibbing to the FBI?

I agree, I don't see how you can be charged for lying to the FBI...they are essentially police.

I understand Roger's charge. Not sure I agree, but I understand it.
    oh, i'm sorry, i thought this threead was about roger clemens. my bad.

Banned

Why did Congress even spend any time on this?

A Congressional investigation? Really?

Because some overpaid athletes may have found a way to cheat?

So what? It is none of Congress' business!

Have they nothing more important to do?
    you have a point, but as devils advocate i would say they should investigate and find a way to stop it. even though you are correct in one sense - that adults should be able to do as they please, i do not like the fact that kids look up to these guys and are emulating them. steroids are very prevalent in high school sports, and that is not a good thing. and its not a parenting issue as much as is with recreational drugs. kids get praise for being good athletes, and they will do the PHD's to enhance their abilities because they feel they have to in some cases to compete.

PHDs? Now I'm the dense one I guess?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    you have a point, but as devils advocate i would say they should investigate and find a way to stop it. even though you are correct in one sense - that adults should be able to do as they please, i do not like the fact that kids look up to these guys and are emulating them. steroids are very prevalent in high school sports, and that is not a good thing. and its not a parenting issue as much as is with recreational drugs. kids get praise for being good athletes, and they will do the PHD's to enhance their abilities because they feel they have to in some cases to compete.

That has nothing to do with congress. If laws were broken, it should be handled and prosecuted by the judiciary branch. If additional laws are needed in order to better control or prosecute, then congress should pass new laws.

But Congress investigating whether or not a jock took drugs is wholly outside anything congress should be doing.
    Last edited by dixidawg; 08-20-2010 at 07:34 AM.

That has nothing to do with congress. If laws were broken, it should be handled and prosecuted by the judiciary branch. If additional laws are needed in order to better control or prosecute prosecute, then congress should pass new laws.

But Congress investigating whether or not a jock took drugs is wholly outside anything congress should be doing.
    PRECISELY!!!! Waste of taxpayers money AGAIN!!!!!

Banned

you guys are missing the point. it may sound superficial on the outside, but if you dont like it you have to change the constitution and god knows what else. it is entirely within the right and duties of congress to investigate this situation:

"Investigative hearings share some of the characteristics of legislative and oversight hearings. The difference lies in Congress’s stated determination to investigate, usually when there is a suspicion of wrongdoing on the part of public officials acting in their official capacity, or private citizens whose activities suggest the need for a legislative remedy. Congress’s authority to investigate is broad and it has exercised this authority since the earliest days of the republic. Its most famous inquiries are benchmarks in American history: Credit Mobilier, Teapot Dome, Army-McCarthy, Watergate, and Iran-Contra. Investigative hearings often lead to legislation to address the problems uncovered. Judicial activities in the same area of Congress’s investigation may precede, run simultaneously with, or follow such inquiries."

again - its not congress against roger clemons, its congress trying to determine the level of wrongdoing and the potential harm to society of PEDs. to do so, they must interview and interrogate people under oath. it doesnt do much good to try to base legisl;ation on hearsay and opinions and potential "mistruths", so they must have honest sworn testimony. to lie to congress in this manner is extremely harmful to society amd the laws we base our society on.

roger volunteered to testify, and they feel he lied. thats a felony.

you can preach that its a waste of money, but look at the big picture. do you want 14 - 17 yr olds to have access to PEDs? do you really think it is a waste of money and congress' time to determine if legislation is needed to control these dangerous drugs? its not like recreational drugs where you can argue parenting and such, its a performance enhancer that can get a kid fame and fortune - at a price they are too young to comprehend. i am 53, and i remember some guys doing it in high school. my son played HS football just 5 years ago, and i know they are still around. i dont know roger personally, but i have met him and we have several close mutual friends, he was 5 yrs behind me in high school, same coach, etc. so i feel i am being objective here, i dont want to see him go down, but the truth must be heard.

does anyone not remember lyle alzado?
    Last edited by david gibson; 08-20-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    you guys are missing the point. it may sound superficial on the outside, but if you dont like it you have to change the constitution and god knows what else. it is entirely within the right and duties of congress to investigate this situation:

"Investigative hearings share some of the characteristics of legislative and oversight hearings. The difference lies in Congressís stated determination to investigate, usually when there is a suspicion of wrongdoing on the part of public officials acting in their official capacity, or private citizens whose activities suggest the need for a legislative remedy. Congressís authority to investigate is broad and it has exercised this authority since the earliest days of the republic. Its most famous inquiries are benchmarks in American history: Credit Mobilier, Teapot Dome, Army-McCarthy, Watergate, and Iran-Contra. Investigative hearings often lead to legislation to address the problems uncovered. Judicial activities in the same area of Congressís investigation may precede, run simultaneously with, or follow such inquiries."

again - its not congress against roger clemons, its congress trying to determine the level of wrongdoing and the potential harm to society of PEDs. to do so, they must interview and interrogate people under oath. it doesnt do much good to try to base legisl;ation on hearsay and opinions and potential "mistruths", so they must have honest sworn testimony. to lie to congress in this manner is extremely harmful to society amd the laws we base our society on.

roger volunteered to testify, and they feel he lied. thats a felony.

you can preach that its a waste of money, but look at the big picture. do you want 14 - 17 yr olds to have access to PEDs? do you really think it is a waste of money and congress' time to determine if legislation is needed to control these dangerous drugs? its not like recreational drugs where you can argue parenting and such, its a performance enhancer that can get a kid fame and fortune - at a price they are too young to comprehend. i am 53, and i remember some guys doing it in high school. my son played HS football just 5 years ago, and i know they are still around. i dont know roger personally, but i have met him and we have several close mutual friends, he was 5 yrs behind me in high school, same coach, etc. so i feel i am being objective here, i dont want to see him go down, but the truth must be heard.

does anyone not remember lyle alzado?

There are already laws to control these drugs and people find their way around them, just like any other law. A congressional investigation will do nothing to change that.

What has congress done as a result of the investigation that have ANY impact on 14-17 yo's accessing these? You really think Congress doen't already know these drugs are dangerous?

What hearings did Congress hold on the stimulus bill? The results from that are likely to have a much greater impact on 14-17 tyear olds than anything that comes out of this debacle...

And FWIW, I am from Massachusetts and followed most of Clemens' career very closely. I long ago came to the conclusion that he is one of the dumbest people on the planet. This whole mess solidifies that opinion.

i hope he is innocent. i am a fan of his. i hope his continued defiance is justified. however i find it hard to believe a prosecutor would take on roger clemens in public if he didn't have a slam dunk. losing this case could kill a career.
    the question is did he knowingly take the drugs, you can argue there is no way he didn't know. there is a lot at stake to perform at that level and a lot of motivation.
    but there is also a lot to gain for the trainers. maybe he injected clemens telling him they were vitamins or some other legal substance. if a trainer keeps roger clemens performing at the top of the game, other athletes are going to use him. so there is motivation for both sides.
    why would a trainer keep a used syringe for 8 years unless he planned on profiting from it?
    ignorance on clemens part is no excuse. but did he intentionally lie? find it hard to believe there won't be at least one clemens fan on the jury.