The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So….. they have this flood in Pakistan

Default So….. they have this flood in Pakistan

So….. they have this flood in Pakistan

Driving around running errands the other morning and hitting seek on the truck radio. Just crap on and kept seeking. Ended up on the NPR station and the British sounding guy reporting on the flood in Pakistan. I stopped for a bit. Fricken huge flood. 1/5 of the country. Thousands dead and hundreds of thousands homeless. Tragedy of biblical proportion. So British guy is interviewing Pakistan government guy who is complaining about the amount of help from the world Pakistan is getting. Comparing it to tidal wave in Indonesia and famine relief in Africa. Says Pakistan is being destroyed and they desperately need help. Food, clean water and tents.

And I’m driving along in the truck thinking…………. Maybe if their public image was not so bad they might be getting more help. Maybe if all the poppy fields and terrorists hiding spots were not there. Or Bin Ladin’s Cave.

Guy said the terror leaders will use this to spark resentment to the west. Don’t they have that already?
    I feel there must be a great many wonderful loving folks, who are dead or dieing because of this terrible flood.
    But in the 20 second news bits I am used to, when I hear flood in Pakistan I simply quickly wonder, “Will bin ladin wash out of his cave?” or “Will the poppy fields wash away for a season?”
    And that makes me sad, that, that is how my mind works.
    Yet, isn’t it odd. That a group of folk hiding illegally in an impoverished country while they work so hard at a “religious” revolution. Are being hit so hard by a flood?
    Divine intervention?

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

seek in VT? you have more than one station up there? JK...

Guy said the terror leaders will use this to spark resentment to the west. Don’t they have that already?
    it appears any thing the west does will accomplish that. Action or inaction matters not.

---------------------------------------------------
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post

Driving around running errands the other morning and hitting seek on the truck radio. Just crap on and kept seeking. Ended up on the NPR station and the British sounding guy reporting on the flood in Pakistan. I stopped for a bit. Fricken huge flood. 1/5 of the country. Thousands dead and hundreds of thousands homeless. Tragedy of biblical proportion. So British guy is interviewing Pakistan government guy who is complaining about the amount of help from the world Pakistan is getting. Comparing it to tidal wave in Indonesia and famine relief in Africa. Says Pakistan is being destroyed and they desperately need help. Food, clean water and tents.

And I’m driving along in the truck thinking…………. Maybe if their public image was not so bad they might be getting more help. Maybe if all the poppy fields and terrorists hiding spots were not there. Or Bin Ladin’s Cave.

I feel there must be a great many wonderful loving folks, who are dead or dieing because of this terrible flood.
    But in the 20 second news bits I am used to, when I hear flood in Pakistan I simply quickly wonder, “Will bin ladin wash out of his cave?” or “Will the poppy fields wash away for a season?”
    Yet, isn’t it odd. That a group of folk hiding illegally in an impoverished country while they work so hard at a “religious” revolution. Are being hit so hard by a flood?
    Divine intervention?

Nope....when Obama was elected and went on his apology tour everything was jake then.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post

Divine intervention?

- Ken, you're just a little to logical. I guess it's OK to provide nuclear secrets to some of the biggest mobsters in the ruling class, but ___________________________, we'll let some of the resident lefty's fill in the blanks.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

In a perfect world we would probably have little to do with Pakistan. In the real world, the biggest challenges we will face over the nsxt 15-30 years have nothing to do with terrorism or Islam. They will have to do with China. As China's economy surpasses our own (less than 10 years), and its political and military power grow exponentially, we will have a limited number of critical potential allies in the area: Japan, Korea, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Taiwan, and whatever we can salvage from the Middle East.

I suspect that we will lose influence in Taiwan. Our influence in India will always be tempered by their own competition with us for resources and trade. Pakistan and Afghanistan are China's access to Middle East oil -- most specifically Iran and Iraq. If we lose influence in most of these countries, we will probably lose our access to both Asian and Middle Eastern resources. We are already in the process of losing access to African resources to China as well and have a hostile relationship with Venezuela. Our road to energy independence may prove both shorter and less under our control that we will like.

The US has sent or has prepared to send quite a lot of aid. Has China sent any help? I didn't see that mentioned in the news stories even on the mainstream media.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Regardless of what aid the United States gives we can count on some UN a$$hole telling us it isn’t enough.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    The US has sent or has prepared to send quite a lot of aid. Has China sent any help? I didn't see that mentioned in the news stories even on the mainstream media.
    I saw an interview on OPB news yesterday with the Pakistan Foreign Minister. Sounds like quite a disaster. China has given some aid. As have other countries. Pakistan is an ally in the War against Al Qaida. They are walking a tightrope.

I heard an interview the other day that what is happening does fit the climate models that the majority of the science community now accepts as fact. At some point, there isn't enough aid to send everywhere. I see today that China is having massive flooding also.

Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    ...I heard an interview the other day that what is happening does fit the climate models that the majority of the science community now accepts as fact...
    I just laughed right out loud.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Article [II.]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    I just laughed right out loud.
    I would expect nothing else from you.