The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping your dog outside?

Default Keeping your dog outside?

I know this has likely been beat to death already... but the search option on this forum pretty much stinks.

A close buddy of mine just got a new lab puppy.

His last dog was a byb pup who lived outside tied to a dog house all his life, the last lab was gun shy so dreams of a hunting dog went out the window. Yet he was loyal and as long as you were outside too you could trust him enough to just 'hang around' while you did whatever you were doing.

The dog also drove everywhere with my friend, went for walks, and played with the kids. The reason the dog lived outside is becuase of his wife, who will not allow a dog to live inside. She grew up with farm dogs that worked and lived outside and that is where she thinks larger dogs are best kept. Even cute puppy breath will not warm her heart on the issue.

His new pup is a female from MH lines, a little better bred than the last one. He has high hopes for a future of hunting. She is getting fixed asp but he also wants her to live outside. The kicker is he is moving next summer into his fathers house (his father is getting a smaller one story house) and his wife agreed to letting the dog live in 'mud room' in the new house. So the dog will only be living outside until next summer!

I conviced him that a kennel/run would be a lot better than being chained up all day; which he whole heartedly agreed (he just never realized). The run is 10 x 10 with a roof over the run and he has a new exra large dogloo house for the pup.

He is getting a lot of crap from people that feel the winters in PA are too cold and icy for a dog. I was more concerned about the summers! Now his last lab had a dogloo which was packed with staw in the winter, he was given fresh warm water 3 times a day, and extra food; he lived to be 13 yo and died of cancer.

He is pretty upset thinking that this living situation wont work and he already expressed to me that perhaps finding a better home for his pup would be better. He takes really good care of his dogs and loves them a lot. His dogs are always utd on vet care and well socialized their entire lives.

I'm looking for ideas to give him to help improve an outside dog's life so he feels a bit better about the whole ordeal. Funny thing is he never thought twice about keeping a dog outside until other people started ragging on him about it.

My dogs are always inside, becuase I can keep them that way, but I'm not against others keeping a dog outside as long as its well cared for. From what I gather most trainers keep client dogs outside. Are North Eastern Pa winters too cold to keep a lab outside?
    Last edited by Marissa E.; 08-23-2010 at 07:42 AM.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

http://www.helmuthbuilders.com/anima...og_kennels.php

How about building soething like this - it could be insulated and be a much warmer alternative to the dogloo with bedding etc....
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD RA NA (OA2) NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN SH (RN2)
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QAA)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Mleone View Post

I conviced him that a kennel/run would be a lot better than being chained up all day; which he whole heartedly agreed (he just never realized). The run is 10 x 10 with a roof over the run and he has a new exra large dogloo house for the pup.

He is getting a lot of crap from people that feel the winters in PA are too cold and icy for a dog. I was more concerned about the summers! Now his last lab had a dogloo which was packed with staw in the winter, he was given fresh warm water 3 times a day, and extra food; he lived to be 13 yo and died of cancer.
    ?

The dog will be fine outside if he has a properly built run and a good house with bedding or warming mat for the winter. Inside dogs on the scale they are now are a relatively new thing.....labs aren't.

Dogs that live outside acclimate to the climate they live in and have time to adjust to seasonal changes. In my training group the outside dogs always do better than the inside ones with very cold or hot temps because they are used to them. If you live in 72...15 sucks...105 sucks....if you have been living outside your grown accustom to the colder/hotter temps and, while precaution is needed during extremes, it isn't as big of a deal.

To the summers....there are thousands of labs living outside where the daily LOW this time of year is hotter than the high in NE Pa. Low in Dallas, for example, today will be in the 80's looked up the forecast for Carbondale, Pa and the hottest temp is 79 in the 10 day forecast.

Thanks for the advice so far. I figured it would be fine to leave the dog outside as long as the dog is ALWAYS outside and adjusted to it. (not that you keep a dog inside then decide on the first zero degree day you want him to live outside).

Those outdoor kennel sheds are neat! But sort of expensive. I bet he could make his own though with some help.

Another question that I want to find an answer for him; right now his run sits on the ground; He wants to make a 'floor' to put it on to keep the dog from digging out. He wants to use plywood; I really can't picture that working. If the dog doesnt rip it up and eat it then it will just rot anyway. It needs to be temporary (no stones or concrete) what would work best?

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mleone View Post
    ... he was given fresh warm water 3 times a day, and extra food......

Warm water will freeze quicker than ice water.

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Really?

I don't recall his dog's water ever freezing. But to be honest I hightly doubt that it never froze. His kennel is five steps from his house, I think I could talk him into one of those heated buckets like what we use for the horses. They are only like 60 bucks and well worth it when you know your dog has water 24/7!

Marissa Everett

How do you figure that Ken????

The reason warm water lines freeze first is they are usually narrower due to build up inside them, but warm water takes time to cool then freeze, cold water just freezes.... Physics at work.
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by limiman12 View Post

The reason warm water lines freeze first is they are usually narrower due to build up inside them, but warm water takes time to cool then freeze, cold water just freezes.... Physics at work.
    Nothing to do with water lines.
    Just saying warm water freezes faster than cold water.
    It is true.

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by limiman12 View Post

Nope, not all the time. Google Mpemba effect.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Take'em View Post
    Nope, not all the time. Google Mpemba effect.
    The effect is named for the Tanzanian high-school student Erasto B. Mpemba. Mpemba first encountered the phenomenon in 1963 in Form 3 of Magamba Secondary School, Tanzania when freezing hot ice cream mix in cookery classes and noticing that they froze before cold mixes. After passing his O-level examinations, he became a student at Mkwawa Secondary (formerly High) School, Iringa, Tanzania. The headmaster invited Dr. Denis G. Osborne from the University College in Dar Es Salaam to give a lecture on physics. After the lecture, Erasto Mpemba asked him the question "If you take two similar containers with equal volumes of water, one at 35 °C (95 °F) and the other at 100 °C (212 °F), and put them into a freezer, the one that started at 100 °C (212 °F) freezes first. Why?" only to be ridiculed by his classmates and teacher. After initial consternation, Dr. Osborne experimented on the issue back at his workplace and confirmed Erasto's finding. They published the results together in 1969.[5][6]