The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping your dog outside?

Yep warm water will freeze faster than cold depending.......

http://ask.yahoo.com/20030930.html
    Greg W.

Brooks Black Gold At Briarwood JH (Louie)
    Brandywine's Belle on Wheels JH (Belle)
    Serengetti Sadie O'Brandywine SH -MH passes (Sadie)
    CH Brandywine's Westdale Duggan MH (Duggan)
    CH Alpenglo's Jasmine O'Brooks JH CD (Jasmine)
    Brandywine's Flagship SH (Brandy)

Quote Originally Posted by Mleone View Post
    He is getting a lot of crap from people that feel the winters in PA are too cold and icy for a dog. I was more concerned about the summers!
    I bet those are the same kind of people that would call the animal cruelty people about sending a dog into icy water to retrieve a duck.

Don't worry about the summers. My dog doesn't have a clue what the inside of my house looks like and I'd be willing to bet that it's hotter here than PA. For the last couple months, it's been 90-100 degrees almost every day with humidity about the same. She's fine. One thing that he might want to consider is not putting down a floor. To help keep cool, my dog digs holes to get to cooler dirt to lay in during the day. She had one a while back that was so deep, she was completely underground when she laid in it...LOL
    Last edited by ducknwork; 08-23-2010 at 02:29 PM.

I live in Northeast PA.. I also call where I live "Little Alaska". The winters' can be tough. I hope they can work on the dog staying inside . I have neighbors' who think that a life on a chain is the way for a dog to live. At least he will have a kennel run. I just know that we can have days on end with snow and cold tempertures. I hate winter!

good luck with changing the mind of the wife. I don't get this disagreements . I think that if the husband wants the dog in, well, it should be in.

Maria

I built a frame out of treated 2x4's and decked it with treated 5/4 deck boards,then set the kennel on top and screwed it down with some 1 1/2'' pipe straps.

On my lunch I came across a website that made a wood deck kennel floor. Of course it was coated to keep it smooth, water resistant, and that stuff... I think that is the route he will end up going for the floor when I show him the website tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the advice thus far.

Like I stated earlier this is temporary until they move next summer... granted even then the dog will be confined to one room at least it will be inside.
    I know his wife very well and she won't budge on the matter. She grew up with barn/farm dogs outside and she just doesn't want anything to do with them. She pretty much hates the farm life and she near died when my freind brought the kids over to ride my horse. In fact, the dog is the only pet they have... a funny side note; all the guy's deer, bear, fox, coyote, duck, and other mounts were put away not long after they met. They have been packed away ever since then. How they made it this far I'm just not sure but I'm not one to judge.

Marissa Everett

Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?

You are woried about summer time in the "NORTH". I live in the Deep South, and my dogs love outside in the summer. I never had one heat problem in the summer with the dogs in kennels outside in the shade.

I am going to test it tonight.....

"under certain circumstances" is open to interpretation.....

Warm water would hold more gas, making it less dense, as it cools gas leaves teh water... gonna have to spend some time on this one, but If I was the dog I would appreciate a warm drink regardless......
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    3XGMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point SH

here in alaska i keep my chessies outside during the day and bring them into their inside kennel boxes at night. i heard the advice to either have an inside dog or an outside dog as they need to acclimate to one or another, but chessies want to be inside with me at night. they do fine physically and much better psychologially.
    i am not a fan of the igloo dog house. it has very little real insulating value. i built dog houses out of wood and plywood, and put blue board (insulating board) underneath and in the walls and set the houses on on concrete blocks. dogs do well in these houses to 10-20 below if necessary. i usually allow to stay in house if it is extended -10 degree weather. i learned the next tip from sled dog owners. float the kibble in LOTS of water, just put the kibble in the bowl and fill up with water. the dogs will get enough water for the day that way, then do again for a second feeding or water at night when you bring them in.

My dogs stay outside until they are two then they can come in and be house dogs. This is relatively new and they used to stay out all the time at night.
    All my client dogs stay outside.
    I have chainlink fence runs with concrete pads. The runs are in the shade of an oak grove. In this blistering heat I have been changing their water every two hours and wetting the runs so they have a cool place to lay. We have well water which is really cold. I also have a small kids pool that I let they lay in for a few minutes to cool down.

My dog houses are from plans that I got out of Outdoor Life 30 years ago. They basically have two rooms. The entrance area is one room, then they must turn a corner to go into the other room. The purpose of this is to keep the wind out. No matter which way the wind is blowing it can't turn a corner. The entrance area has a removable panel at the back for summer. This creates a breezeway for them to lay.
    For the severe winter time I put a portion of a bale of hay in the back room. And put the panel back on the breezeway. In the 80's we had a winter storm that took the temps to single digits. My dogs did just fine.

IMHO if dogs are dry and out of the wind they can handle the cold.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 08-24-2010 at 05:22 AM. Reason: typo

For those talking about summers up north...

Waynenutt's Id says he hails from Ft. Worth....the JRB Naval Air Station in Ft. Worth recorded an official high temp of 109 yesterday.

Dogs adjust to the climate they live in. Take extra precautions when its super hot or super cold but a lab can handle 99% of temps in the US with no issue when given a responsible amount care.