The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keeping your dog outside?

Quote Originally Posted by waynenutt View Post
    My dog houses are from plans that I got out of Outdoor Life 30 years ago. They basically have two rooms. The entrance area is one room, then they must turn a corner to go into the other room. The purpose of this is to keep the wind out. No matter which way the wind is blowing it can't turn a corner. The entrance area has a removable panel at the back for summer. This creates a breezeway for them to lay.
    Did you also add insulation to the houses?

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Quote Originally Posted by limiman12 View Post
    I am going to test it tonight.....

"under certain circumstances" is open to interpretation.....

Warm water would hold more gas, making it less dense, as it cools gas leaves teh water... gonna have to spend some time on this one, but If I was the dog I would appreciate a warm drink regardless......
    What gas exactly leaves water when it freezes? Hydorgen or oxygen? So when you thaw ice is it missing an element?

Warm water freezes faster because the molecules are moving faster and therefore come in contact with the freezing environment with more frequency. Might actually go to a physics class instead of just faking it.

I don't have a clue how your winters are other than pretty cold but I would think with some decent insulation and as long as the dog is protected from any drafts, then he would endure without major difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by limiman12 View Post
    I am going to test it tonight.....

-7 this a.m. made me this of the ol' Mpemba effect.
    Did you ever test it yourself?
    I have.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

for all the folk who want to have fun in the cold today.
    Grade school teachers too, this is fun.
    click- http://www.school-for-champions.com/...mba_effect.htm

and this for the why - http://phys.org/news188801988.html
    Last edited by Ken Bora; 01-03-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Warm water will freeze quicker than ice water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    and this for the why - http://phys.org/news188801988.html
    Ken, thanks for the entertaining link - now I know what folks in Vermont do after deer season ends!
    Reading this and saying "hot water freezes faster than cold water" is like seeing a fuzzy picture of a bear and saying "Sasquatch discovered!".
    The real conclusion is "a sample mix of water and impurities with at least a 5 degree higher freeze point than another sample will freeze sooner even if starting at a higher temperature". Granted, the short conclusion is a lot more fun to say.

[QUOTE=Mleone;665056]I know this has likely been beat to death already... but the search option on this forum pretty much stinks.

A close buddy of mine just got a new lab puppy.

His last dog was a byb pup who lived outside tied to a dog house all his life, the last lab was gun shy so dreams of a hunting dog went out the window. Yet he was loyal and as long as you were outside too you could trust him enough to just 'hang around' while you did whatever you were doing.

I have Major issues with anyone that will "tie a dog to a dog house all his life"...sort of like chaining a dog to a tree?
    My Girls...
    Duckback's Lord Have Mercy, MH 8/07
    Duckback Armbrook's Indigo Pearl, SH 10/10

[QUOTE=Rick Vaughan;1050970]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mleone View Post
    I know this has likely been beat to death already... but the search option on this forum pretty much stinks.

A close buddy of mine just got a new lab puppy.

His last dog was a byb pup who lived outside tied to a dog house all his life, the last lab was gun shy so dreams of a hunting dog went out the window. Yet he was loyal and as long as you were outside too you could trust him enough to just 'hang around' while you did whatever you were doing.

I have Major issues with anyone that will "tie a dog to a dog house all his life"...sort of like chaining a dog to a tree?
    So do I. There was a guy around here that did the same thing to his last dog. She was a beautiful Rottweiler puppy. Last January it was cold and rainy for two days and i mean it didnt get out of the upper 30's. The guy put the dog outside in a muddy 30x30 fenced in area. He had a small dog house out there for the dog. The dog went out at dark and came in after dark. Once the dog was inside for the evening it went into the basement. The kids and owner didnt pay attention to the dog. Why even bother? I was doing work at this house and I asked the housekeeper about it and she said it was a shame that they didnt care for the pup. She was 6 months old and an absolute sweetheart. I called a few people about it and wanted to see if there was anything that could be done about it. There was not legally. I do know that the pup didnt live there much longer because someone "rescued" it between 5-7pm one night. They have not gotten another dog since.
    Wayne Beck

RIP Moose 2/6/00-1/21/10
    Bull's Harley Road Hog 5/1/10-(in training)
    Bull's Kunte Kinte 11/7/12-

Wow you guys are brain surgeons

Quote Originally Posted by tripsteer1 View Post
    Wow you guys are brain surgeons
    on RTF we say Rocket Surgeon. It is a combination of Rocket Scientist and Brain Surgeon. And is classic LVL on RTF.
    ya gotta do it right Man!!!!!!!! protocol and all!!!!