The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: curly tailed labs?

Default curly tailed labs?

I have a fully registered BLM dog that has a tail that nearly curls all the way around. This is the first time that I think have ever seen this. Has anyone else had a lab or seen labs that have this? It doesn't matter to me, it is actually pretty funny! He is in the GRHRCH Missy's Cajun Dakota bloodline.
    HRCH Black Lake's Magic Max (1997-2009)
    SHR White Oak Ridge's Raising Cane

Quote Originally Posted by Raising Cane 09 View Post
    I have a fully registered BLM dog that has a tail that nearly curls all the way around. This is the first time that I think have ever seen this. Has anyone else had a lab or seen labs that have this? It doesn't matter to me, it is actually pretty funny! He is in the GRHRCH Missy's Cajun Dakota bloodline.
    One of my dogs has a pretty good curve in his tail when he's happy but it doesn't curl.

The AKC says this...
    " Tail--The tail is a distinguishing feature of the breed. It should be very thick at the base, gradually tapering toward the tip, of medium length, and extending no longer than to the hock. The tail should be free from feathering and clothed thickly all around with the Labradorís short, dense coat, thus having that peculiar rounded appearance that has been described as the "otter" tail. The tail should follow the topline in repose or when in motion. It may be carried gaily, but should not curl over the back. Extremely short tails or long thin tails are serious faults. The tail completes the balance of the Labrador by giving it a flowing line from the top of the head to the tip of the tail. Docking or otherwise altering the length or natural carriage of the tail is a disqualification."

I remember seeing a black NFC who's tail curled over his back so much that I bet he could have been hung from a limb of a tree. He didn't pick up his ducks with his tail. LOL
    A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

I guess it's safe to say he won't be a pointer?

Ranger Hines, with all of his gazillion points, had a curly tail. His young son "Hook" who just took 2nd in the Amateur and Jammed the open also has "the tail"...

My Ruckus has a curly tail (chopper x ginna)- when i picked him as a pup, I just said, "Well, it worked for Ranger Hines...
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

My pups tail is like that.
    I know of a guy with a Patton dog that has a tail that goes all the way around too.

It seems to be straightening as she grows.

My old dog Tracker had a tail like that. It looked about like a question mark when he was standing up with his tail up. I miss him even now.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    My old dog Tracker had a tail like that. It looked about like a question mark when he was standing up with his tail up. I miss him even now.
    Hey Howard,I had an old dog named Tracker too.He lived 10 days shy of 16 and we hunted everything together.He was my favorite.Must be something with the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Bob View Post
    Hey Howard,I had an old dog named Tracker too.He lived 10 days shy of 16 and we hunted everything together.He was my favorite.Must be something with the name.
    I've got a 14.5 year old and I pray that I get another year and a half with him. 16 is awesome.

When I got my CLF from the breeder she had a chocolate dog with what she called a "ribbon tail." It was the only dog produced by those two parents that had it. She kept the dog as a service dog for her disabled husband. I guess its a genetic fluke.
    The wise person makes learning a joy. Proverbs 15:2 NLT

CW Up Up and Away
    McCoy's Whistling Dixie

www.mccoylabradors.com