The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Yo Franco...

Default Yo Franco...

...did you happen to tune in the hit-piece on W by NBC's Brian Williams Sunday night? Not one mention concerning the whereabouts of the NCAA, Jesse Jackson, or Al Sharpton.

What was depressing was the way he blamed the feds for not taking care of everyone immediately, not a word about the Governor not calling in the National Guard for looter control. Of course the local cops were undermanned, and we all heard they were only interested in taking guns away from the law abiding, a group they seemed to not be afraid to reprimand.

What struck me was the sheeple in that community that were absolutely unable to do anything for themselves, and waited in that Superdome for a savior to arrive and supply all their needs. I heard someone exclaim, "This City is dying," and I thought...the people in that city have been dead for a long, long time.

My thoughts kept returning to June 10, 1972 when Rapid City was hit with a flood that killed a higher percentage of population than Katrina did in New Orleans. Both were tragic, but we were so busy locating friends and relatives and cleaning our neighborhoods so we could move about, we hardly had time to worry about where the feds were and when we'd get taken care of.

What truley struck me in that entire hour long NBC puff piece, was how that community had become so dependant on the government to take care of them, there wasn't hardly an independant responsible soul, beyond the gangsters, hoodlums, and looters. How proud the left must feel. It's no wonder their only recourse is to jump on the bandwagon and blame the country for not taking care of all their lazy and irresponsible constituants.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

I didn’t see the Brian Williams piece, I watched Swamp People on History Channel instead. With the 5th anniversary this Sunday, there are several documentaries airing this week. I saw Spike Lee’s corrupt piece last night on HBO. Lots of blame to go around, especially on the local and state level. The man-made created disaster known as Katrina was chaos for several days, from inaccurate information on the national news to a complete breakdown of the NOPD. Most of the heroes were in health care where Charity Hospital was functioning on a limited base with emergencies.

One cannot compare the extent of damage done by the levee failures to any other disaster in US history. Over half a million homes were destroyed in Orleans alone. This wasn’t one bad storm that affected several counties, this thing completely destroyed two parishes, 85% of Orleans as well as surrounding parishes and the MS Gulf Coast. Remember too that the MS Gulf Coast is mostly upper-class professionals living on the coast and not LBJ’s Great Society that inhabited inner Orleans.

What we saw was LBJ’s Great Society completely helpless because of their dependency on the Federal Government. Some 200,000 welfare indigents living in Section 8 Public Housing that live day to day using public transportation to get around and Food Stamps for survival. Many of these people never having to do anything because the Feds have been controlling their lives since birth. The city along with 30 years of Democratic Mayors had no emergency plans in the event of such a disaster. One the city was warned of in 2001.

Since all public housing projects were torn down after Katrina, LBJ’s Great Society has scattered across the USA. I give the city’s Council Members credit for recognizing an opportunity to rebuild the city without massive Section 8 housing. The city 5AK has lost 50% of its welfare wards.

If one word describes New Orleans in year 5AK (after Katrina), it is REBIRTH!

I don’t care what people think of the city. I know it as the country’s most interesting city. A city with the riches history of any city in the USA. New Orleans has it all from great local music, food, European sensibilities, awesome fishing and hunting and some of the most outstanding green spaces on the globe! Katrina presented an opportunity to redo much of what needed redoing!
    Last edited by Franco; 08-24-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Franco,
    How's the new police chief working out? If I remember, didn't he come in and say something to the effect that "were extremely corrupt, but there's a new sheriff in town to make it right"?

Seems like I remember hoping he doesn't get himself fragged, and that he could turn it around.

all I know is when they sweep the streets in NOLA, I'm all yessir! (actually, I'm in bed sleeping long before the sweeps nowadays)
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Ronal Surpas is the new Police Chief and seems to be what the city needs.

I think they cleaned up the Police Dept. They just have to get after the street criminals. After the corruption in the Eddie Jordan run DA's office, the new DA Canizarro is presenting solid cases for prosecution.

Berween the new DA and COP (Chief Of Police), they should have a dept to be proud of.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Ronal Surpas is the new Police Chief and seems to be what the city needs.

I think they cleaned up the Police Dept. They just have to get after the street criminals. After the corruption in the Eddie Jordan run DA's office, the new DA Canizarro is presenting solid cases for prosecution.

Berween the new DA and COP (Chief Of Police), they should have a dept to be proud of.
    Glad to hear that. Even with a corrupt system, they were one of the greatest cities in the world (in their own, unique way). Can't wait for our next trip down.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

I donít care what people think of the city.

Katrina presented an opportunity to redo much of what needed redoing!
    You won't get any disagreement from me on that count. Even in Rapic City, except for the loss of life, the city has recovered with a far better place in which to live. Much of the "flood plane" was quite blighted, and has been rebuilt into a 'greenway', with a few public buildings that can be evacuated should there be a repeat of that "500 year" flood.

Thanks for your reply.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.