The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wetumpka, AL
    Posts
    2,923

    Default Administration halts prosecution of alleged USS Cole bomber

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2010082700364

    http://tinyurl.com/2bcob46

    By Peter Finn
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, August 26, 2010; 8:47 PM

    The Obama administration has shelved the planned prosecution of Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, the alleged coordinator of the Oct. 2000 suicide attack on the USS Cole in Yemen, according to a court filing.

    The decision at least temporarily scuttles what was supposed to be the signature trial of a major al-Qaeda figure under a reformed system of military commissions. And it comes practically on the eve of the 10th anniversary of the attack, which killed 17 sailors and wounded dozens when a boat packed with explosives ripped a hole in the side of the warship in the port of Aden.

    -more-

  2. #2
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2010082700364

    http://tinyurl.com/2bcob46

    By Peter Finn
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, August 26, 2010; 8:47 PM

    The Obama administration has shelved the planned prosecution of Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, the alleged coordinator of the Oct. 2000 suicide attack on the USS Cole in Yemen, according to a court filing.

    The decision at least temporarily scuttles what was supposed to be the signature trial of a major al-Qaeda figure under a reformed system of military commissions. And it comes practically on the eve of the 10th anniversary of the attack, which killed 17 sailors and wounded dozens when a boat packed with explosives ripped a hole in the side of the warship in the port of Aden.

    -more-

    Did we apologize to him as well??

    I mean we did make him attack!!


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  3. #3
    Senior Member gman0046's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Posts
    994

    Default

    Another example of Obongolo kissing muslim butt. Will it ever end?

  4. #4
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gman0046 View Post
    Another example of Obongolo kissing muslim butt. Will it ever end?
    Did you read the story? Prosecution has been severely compromised by the fact that evidence was gathered using torture and that if that is excluded, all that is left is hearsay. When an egg is broken, there is ability to put it back together. Guantanamo is a story of broken eggs. From the time the first person was sent there, the government never had a strategy for where it would go next. There is no good way out of the mess that was created.

  5. #5
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Did you read the story? Prosecution has been severely compromised by the fact that evidence was gathered using torture and that if that is excluded, all that is left is hearsay. When an egg is broken, there is ability to put it back together. Guantanamo is a story of broken eggs. From the time the first person was sent there, the government never had a strategy for where it would go next. There is no good way out of the mess that was created.
    So....you agree we should apologize, after all, it's OUR fault!!


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  6. #6
    Senior Member Clay Rogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Leggett, NC
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Did you read the story? Prosecution has been severely compromised by the fact that evidence was gathered using torture and that if that is excluded, all that is left is hearsay. When an egg is broken, there is ability to put it back together. Guantanamo is a story of broken eggs. From the time the first person was sent there, the government never had a strategy for where it would go next. There is no good way out of the mess that was created.
    Actually, there is an easy fix. Just line 'em all up and shoot them. Problem solved. Beats the hell out of beheading them, wouldn't you say?
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq


    Every day should be Veteran's day.


    "They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

  7. #7
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stumpholehunter View Post
    Actually, there is an easy fix. Just line 'em all up and shoot them. Problem solved. Beats the hell out of beheading them, wouldn't you say?
    We could also change our name to the United States of Saudi Arabia. We are either a nation of laws or we are not. There is no middle ground. As soon as we begin to define our morals in reaction to the morals of our enemy, we become the enemy.
    Last edited by YardleyLabs; 08-29-2010 at 06:28 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member subroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dover, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    We could also change our name to the United States of Saudi Arabia. We are either a nation of laws or we are not. There is no middle ground. As soon as we begin to define our morals in reaction to the morals of our enemy, we become the enemy.
    Sanctimonious crap

    We could just have easily used the "laws" of military tribunals. We would still, by your measure, be a nation of laws. They just wouldn't be "your laws."

    Left wing politicians and the media caused this problem, no one else.

    How silly
    subroc

    Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

  9. #9
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walt8@cox.net View Post
    Except for immigration right? There's no middle ground unless it suits you.
    Go ahead and shoot them.
    Walt
    We have many laws. They are not enforced equally (How mny times have you driven faster than the speed limit?). Usually, when laws are not enforced, it is because of the interests involved. The force behind illegal immigration is simple. It is employers seeking cheap labor combined with people for whom the wages offered and the work required look like a good deal. Ultimately, illegal immigration won't go away until until penalties and enforcement against employers are such that employers are unwilling to employ illegals. I am not an advocate of that. I am an advocate of changing our immigration laws to make it easier for people to enter and work legally. That is not the same as advocating illegal action as you imply. In fact, I would prefer to see strict enforcement because I think that would accelerate rationalization of our laws.

  10. #10
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Sanctimonious crap

    We could just have easily used the "laws" of military tribunals. We would still, by your measure, be a nation of laws. They just wouldn't be "your laws."

    Left wing politicians and the media caused this problem, no one else.

    How silly
    No, they wouldn't be our laws. The problem the Bush administration ran into is that they sought to redefine our laws by executive action, arguing that the President's role and CiC trumped all other aspects of our system of governance. They were overturned by the courts at every level and ultimately decided to walk away from the problem by delaying any action until a new administration came in. There were two sets of laws under which the administration could have acted. Those incorporated in the Geneva Conventions, which are treaties adopted by our country and carrying the full force of law, on the Constitution. Neither allows forcefully compelled testimony to be used.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •