RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

My First Hunt Test!

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Tik-A-Tik 
#1 ·
My pal Jester and I are running our first hunt test on Sept. 11th at the Ozarks HRC Licensed Regular Hunt. We are running Started. Figured this was a good idea since we are both new. He is a year old and ready to rock I think. I have a pretty good idea about how the test is run. I was wondering if any of you vets have something that you see a lot of first timers do wrong that you can warn me about, or just good ol' first timer advice. Thanx

http://www.duckdayz.com/

#3 ·
Remember to thank the judges! When the dog is in range for the delivery, get the duck! Don't risk the dog moving back out of the safe zone with the duck trying to get a perfect delivery. Its started, 2 steps is probably safe, get the duck!

Good luck to you, and have fun! ;)

#5 ·
Train for marks at short and long distances (a bit beyond the requirement). A lot of new people don't train beyond the distance they can throw a dummy (sometimes because as newbs they might not have training group yet.) But, also, don't get hung up on long marks. Throw some shorter marks following long ones so the dog learns to mark the distance as well as the line.

I've seen dogs set up a hunt too short, and some run right through the AOF and over the next hill. :eek:

Make sure your dog will get in the water - I mean strange water. Train lots of different places, not just your usual training grounds.

Have fun - you're in for the ride of your life! ;-)

Snick

#6 ·
Ozarks test is gonna be on some fine ground. If you want to see pictures click on the ad at the top of this page for The Retriever Academy.

Camo clothes, duck call, and whistle are all going to be part of your test.

Get you a couple of real ducks. And run 2 single marks on land and 2 in the water. When you get signed up in the running order make sure that you air your dog very well before you go to the line. It can be a little bit overwhelming if your already nervous and you pup decides to stop and air itself while you are waiting on it to come back with a duck.

At the line don't try and be a hero. Hold your dog while the marks are being thrown. The judges with have a predefined "area of the handler" use as much of it as you need.

#7 ·
Have fun. I wish I had a puppy right now just so I can go back and run started again. It is the appitimy of dogs picking up ducks in its rawest form. Have a blast, enjoy your dog, learn, and maybe most important thank the judges.

#9 ·
Make sure you hold your dogs collar while marks are being thrown because this is allowed in started. Even if your dog is steady in training you never really know what dog you are taking out of the box at hunt test time.

Make sure that you train with decoys before the test if you have'nt already. I think a lot of people make this mistake. If your dog has never seen a decoy in route of a mark he/she is highly likely of stopping on the way to a mark and check every one of them out which they may never recover from this and lose the mark.

Don't be in a hurry while running your dog and don't be in a hurry to run your dog. Sit back and watch several dogs run first so you can study where the marks are falling.

Train with real ducks!

Have someone else shoot for you so you can focus on your dog.

You may already have all of these covered but if not I think it will help.

Relax, breathe, and most of all have fun!

P.S. I am planning on being there as well and running in the upland test.

HRCH Affordable Duck Assassin
Rev It Up Super Sport

#10 ·
I didn't read all of the other suggestions so I don't know if this was mentioned. I saw some comments about real ducks and I agree, you wouldn't believe how many dogs have been brought to HT when they have never retrieved a real duck...or even dogs who have never (or rarely) swam. But to my suggestion (sorry if already mentioned), make sure the dog is familiar with and will retrieve through decoys. Shells on land, floaters on water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.