The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Real Life Economics

Default Real Life Economics

I smile at the posts here with the links from someone espousing some theory who has never met a paycheck . The fact that some here find these links credible enough to post them on a thread concerns me as much as UB's (I think it was his post) about the sad state of affairs when our country can find enough who do not think for themselves to vote into office our present POTUS. But that's not what this thread is about .

It's about the free enterprise system. We've all watched the various dot'coms flame out as their burn rate with someone else's money exceeded their capabilities. Of the 3 sons who paid their own way thru college, one chose the hardest route to extablish a business. He got a degree in Dairy Manufacturing fron SD State, went to work for various big conglomerate type dairy processors & after seeing how they operated decided he would go it on his own.

About 7 years ago he bought an abandoned dairy farm that was in fairly bad shape. It took more than 2 years to get the property so he could consider having some livestock. & then he got going, the infrastructure being there with the proper elbow grease to make things run. He had built his herd up to 10 cows, while selling milk & some cheese. On February 11, 2007 he woke up to a bright light in his window, it was his entire barn, all his belongings & the livestock. Someone had arsoned his facility. Fortunately the cheese plant was spared though his truck (nearly paid for) was totalled. Only 7 people knew the location to hurt him the most & that's where the fire started. Only 2 people had a motive (both big shots & competitors in this tight knit little community) but after a minimal investigation the case was closed .

But now he starts over, woefully underinsured but there was enough to build the shell of a barn with nothing inside. But he has come back with some family aid to make it somewhat of a business. As he says "I go to sleep wondering if I will ever get out of this debt load so I can expand". But his products are great as this quote will attest:

Quote Originally Posted by SSC
    This past weekend, August 25-28, the American Cheese Society held their annual convention & competition, Cheese-A-Topia, in Seattle WA to evaluate & judge the best dairy products in North America. Silver Springs Creamery, a small famil,y owned dairy that uses it's own milk from grass fed Jersey cows & LaMancha & Nubian goats went home with 2 awards. Their "Farm Fresh Jersey Yogurt" was judged the best Yogurt in North America & their aged Goat cheese, the "Big D" received 1st place in it's class
    As Eric said it's quite a thrill to be in a hall with over 800 of the leaders of your industry, watch the projector screen show 2nd & 3rd place & then be the name projected for 1st place, not once but twice.

Hopefully this will be a shot in the arm for the business, The money that would have been spent on promo's has to go to infrastructure In order for his animals to be properly cared for.

BTW, I doubt if he's drawn a dime in the last 8 years & probably won't for 3 or 4 more. Works 7 days a week from before sunup to after sundown, but is happy! It's all been done without government help, but he's had to tell them to pack up & leave more than once . They just love to regulate the guy with no money. The co-ops are set up for the established farmer, & the big dairy outfits don't want the little guys with their high quality products beating them out.

I do a Farmers Market - will probably do 2 next year - love meeting the cheese lovers. but have to deal with Health Departments who want the income but have nothing to offer.

There's more but my fingers hurt .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I'd say you have a right to be proud of your hard-working son, Marvin.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I smile at the posts here with the links from someone espousing some theory who has never met a paycheck . The fact that some here find these links credible enough to post them on a thread concerns me as much as UB's (I think it was his post) about the sad state of affairs when our country can find enough who do not think for themselves to vote into office our present POTUS. But that's not what this thread is about .

It's about the free enterprise system. We've all watched the various dot'coms flame out as their burn rate with someone else's money exceeded their capabilities. Of the 3 sons who paid their own way thru college, one chose the hardest route to extablish a business. He got a degree in Dairy Manufacturing fron SD State, went to work for various big conglomerate type dairy processors & after seeing how they operated decided he would go it on his own.

About 7 years ago he bought an abandoned dairy farm that was in fairly bad shape. It took more than 2 years to get the property so he could consider having some livestock. & then he got going, the infrastructure being there with the proper elbow grease to make things run. He had built his herd up to 10 cows, while selling milk & some cheese. On February 11, 2007 he woke up to a bright light in his window, it was his entire barn, all his belongings & the livestock. Someone had arsoned his facility. Fortunately the cheese plant was spared though his truck (nearly paid for) was totalled. Only 7 people knew the location to hurt him the most & that's where the fire started. Only 2 people had a motive (both big shots & competitors in this tight knit little community) but after a minimal investigation the case was closed .

But now he starts over, woefully underinsured but there was enough to build the shell of a barn with nothing inside. But he has come back with some family aid to make it somewhat of a business. As he says "I go to sleep wondering if I will ever get out of this debt load so I can expand". But his products are great as this quote will attest:

As Eric said it's quite a thrill to be in a hall with over 800 of the leaders of your industry, watch the projector screen show 2nd & 3rd place & then be the name projected for 1st place, not once but twice.

Hopefully this will be a shot in the arm for the business, The money that would have been spent on promo's has to go to infrastructure In order for his animals to be properly cared for.

BTW, I doubt if he's drawn a dime in the last 8 years & probably won't for 3 or 4 more. Works 7 days a week from before sunup to after sundown, but is happy! It's all been done without government help, but he's had to tell them to pack up & leave more than once . They just love to regulate the guy with no money. The co-ops are set up for the established farmer, & the big dairy outfits don't want the little guys with their high quality products beating them out.

I do a Farmers Market - will probably do 2 next year - love meeting the cheese lovers. but have to deal with Health Departments who want the income but have nothing to offer.

There's more but my fingers hurt .
    I wish him luck. As one who has been there, it's an uphill trek and everybody seems to have a hand out demanding a piece of your pie. My best advice, stay out of debt if possible. Business' fold most often because they are over leveraged.