The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama set to formally end Iraq war

Kind of a disjointed speech by Obama last night. Dude was all over the board on a variety of topics. At times he's giving stirring and eloquent praise to the troops and then he's off on economics spiel and then back to the troops, then on to "we're all Americans" then back to.... He seems to have lost some of his speechifyin' mojo. Perhaps he was constrained because it's impossible to be much of a cheerleader when he knows that what's going through everyone's heads is, "If it was up to him we would have lost."

I wonder if he was wearing his trademark mom jeans below the desk?
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Obama was an early critic of the war, speaking out against it during the U.S. invasion in early 2003 and promising during his presidential campaign to bring the conflict to an end. The White House sees Tuesday’s benchmark as a promise kept and has gone to great lengths to promote it as such, dispatching Vice President Joe Biden to Iraq to preside over a formal change-of-command ceremony and raising Tuesday night’s remarks to the level of an Oval Office address, something Obama has only done once before.

Administration officials have been careful to avoid equating the end of the combat mission with a mission accomplished. That was the phrase on the now-infamous banner that flew on an aircraft carrier seven years ago when President George W. Bush declared an end to major combat operations in Iraq, a symbol the Bush White House came to deeply regret as the war dragged on.

Ahead of Tuesday night’s remarks, Obama also planned to speak with Bush. While Bush’s decision to invade Iraq was criticized by many — including Obama — the troop surge Bush ordered in 2007 has been credited with tamping down violence in Iraq and helping keep the country from falling into a civil war. Among the unanswered questions about Tuesday’s address is whether Obama will give Bush any credit for the role the surge played in leading the war to its end.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/33051
    ROGER, TRY HARD TO JUST BOLD WHAT YOU WANT TO EMPHASIZE. WE WILL GET THE POINT. MAKING IT 3 SIZES BIGGER MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A SIXTH GRADER POSTING IN ALL CAPS AND GIVES YOU EVEN LESS CREDIBILITY THAT YOU ALREADY HAVE. I KNOW THATS HARD TO DO, BUT YOU NEED EVERY GRAM OF CRED YOU CAN GET.

just tryin' to help regards
    Last edited by david gibson; 09-01-2010 at 07:18 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    Kind of a disjointed speech by Obama last night. Dude was all over the board on a variety of topics. At times he's giving stirring and eloquent praise to the troops and then he's off on economics spiel and then back to the troops, then on to "we're all Americans" then back to.... He seems to have lost some of his speechifyin' mojo. Perhaps he was constrained because it's impossible to be much of a cheerleader when he knows that what's going through everyone's heads is, "If it was up to him we would have lost."

in those types of speeches he uses only one teleprompter. its clear it makes a difference, we see how bad he is with no teleprompters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    "

I think he looks more presidential wearing his bicycle crash helmet.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Special ops does whatever is asked of it by the chain of command. That includes psyops, and other support roles, in addition to combat operations.

Having spent 5 years in special ops, I can guarantee you we don't do support roles. Special ops is used for intel gathering, which in a hostile environment is a combat role, troop training, which again in a hostile environment is a combat role(ask any green beret who trained the guerillas in vietnam) and mentoring foreign troops, which means going out on patrols with the foreign troops. All of these are combat roles.

Support roles are cooks, supply, engineers(not combat engineers), maintance guys and medical personnel. Not knocking any of these MOS's, because without them, front line troops can't complete their mission.

I will wager money that the rangers, green berets, SEALS, and CIA black ops won't be doing any cooking or passing out linen.

I still believe this was done so he could get back some of his MOJO before the mid-term elections.

What would you like to bet that before it is all said and done, we will need another surge in Irag?
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq

Every day should be Veteran's day.

"They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by stumpholehunter View Post
    Having spent 5 years in special ops, I can guarantee you we don't do support roles. Special ops is used for intel gathering, which in a hostile environment is a combat role, troop training, which again in a hostile environment is a combat role(ask any green beret who trained the guerillas in vietnam) and mentoring foreign troops, which means going out on patrols with the foreign troops. All of these are combat roles.

Support roles are cooks, supply, engineers(not combat engineers), maintance guys and medical personnel. Not knocking any of these MOS's, because without them, front line troops can't complete their mission.

I will wager money that the rangers, green berets, SEALS, and CIA black ops won't be doing any cooking or passing out linen.

I still believe this was done so he could get back some of his MOJO before the mid-term elections.

What would you like to bet that before it is all said and done, we will need another surge in Irag?
    I guess my time spent with JSOPS supporting the Operation Southern Watch from Prince Sultan Air Base in KSA was all so secret, they just TOLD us were were a support mission?

And the USSOC web site is decoying when they state, amongst the more common combat roles, they they indeed have a support role as well?

My bad.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I guess my time spent with JSOPS supporting the Operation Southern Watch from Prince Sultan Air Base in KSA was all so secret, they just TOLD us were were a support mission?

And the USSOC web site is decoying when they state, amongst the more common combat roles, they they indeed have a support role as well?

My bad.

Look, I am not gonna get into a pissing match over this, so tone back the sarcasm. We can argue all you want, I know what I did the 5 years I was there. And maybe the USSOC web site is stating that our support role includes training foreign troops. But if a squad of rangers or green berets are out training with iraqi police or what the hell ever, and a fire fight erupts, do you think the rangers or greenies are gonna sit back and shout instructions to the iraqi troops, or do you think they are gonna dig in and fight? I know what they are gonna do, and its called combat.

And as far as you being TOLD you were on a support mission, that just proves my statement from earlier. YOU were in the medical corp right? The last time I checked they were support.

So, yea, I guess it is your bad. Hooah!!!
    Last edited by Clay Rogers; 09-01-2010 at 03:37 PM.
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq

Every day should be Veteran's day.

"They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stumpholehunter View Post
    Look, I am not gonna get into a pissing match over this, so tone back the sarcasm. We can argue all you want, I know what I did the 5 years I was there. And maybe the USSOC web site is stating that our support role includes training foreign troops. But if a squad of rangers or green berets are out training with iraqi police or what the hell ever, and a fire fight erupts, do you think the rangers or greenies are gonna sit back and shout instructions to the iraqi troops, or do you think they are gonna dig in and fight? I know what they are gonna do, and its called combat.

And as far as you being TOLD you were on a support mission, that just proves my statement from earlier. YOU were in the medical corp right? The last time I checked they were support.

So, yea, I guess it is your bad. Hooah!!!
    you have to excuse dnf. he's the type that would put in for a purple heart if someone farted on him.

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    you have to excuse dnf. he's the type that would put in for a purple heart if someone farted on him.
    Haha,

This makes me laugh.

Semper Fi

What would you like to bet that before it is all said and done, we will need another surge in Irag?[/QUOTE]

boy, do i ever hope you're wrong. but, i'm not taking that bet.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.