The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gator Season 2010

This is the BEST thread I have ever seen!
    Jim Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    last time i bought it at some mom and pop grocer/conv. store on I-10 in lafayette. dayum good stuff
    Hebert's in Maurice and Cajun Grocer have gator sausage that is great in a gumbo. Prejean's Restaurant on Hwy 49 has gator cakes as well as fried gator and Nu Nu's has gator Sauce Piquant served over brown rice.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

David Gibson, I'm with you. We live in an area with numerous ponds and a tidal lake that I know contain Gators as I've seen them. I'm very hesitant to train my dogs there. No to mention all kinds of poisonous snakes that seem to be everywhere.

Bless ya'll hearts.. Cajun American been eating and trapping gators now for about 300 years !!! all along people thought we were backwards....as far as eating them not me !!!!
    but that marsh hen sauce piquante ...Yum.....
    BobbyB
    cajun

That ain't gator "hunting" in LA. That's gator "shootin' fish in a barrel." In FL you can't use baited hooks and you can't shoot them with a firearm(except with a bang stick once you've got them alongside the boat). That said, I wish we did it like LA does it...looks easy and fun and conducive to some beer drinking, and not nearly as much hard work as our regs make it.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    That ain't gator "hunting" in LA. That's gator "shootin' fish in a barrel." In FL you can't use baited hooks and you can't shoot them with a firearm(except with a bang stick once you've got them alongside the boat). That said, I wish we did it like LA does it...looks easy and fun and conducive to some beer drinking, and not nearly as much hard work as our regs make it.

Gator fisherman can make a couple hundred bucks a day toting sports out to do the shooting. It is a very unique experience to be on one La. style.

I went on one when they first opened the season 30 years ago. I was shooting them in the soft spot with a .22 Hornet.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Unfortunately, alligator prices have been hit very hard by the worldwide recession. Prices are hovering around $7.00 per foot and very few have been trapped in the last two years. They have become such a nuisance that one land company down here has promised to pull all tags if the trappers don't thin them out. Our duck lease has limb lines on every boarder so hopefully the big ones will be caught this year. Saturday morning my S&W will be on my side just incase they get too friendly. Usually, you can just hit them in the head with a paddle to get your teal back.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by R Little View Post
    Unfortunately, alligator prices have been hit very hard by the worldwide recession. Prices are hovering around $7.00 per foot and very few have been trapped in the last two years. They have become such a nuisance that one land company down here has promised to pull all tags if the trappers don't thin them out. Our duck lease has limb lines on every boarder so hopefully the big ones will be caught this year. Saturday morning my S&W will be on my side just incase they get too friendly. Usually, you can just hit them in the head with a paddle to get your teal back.

Screw the duck!!!! What about your dog??? I am so not ever, ever going hunting or training in gator infested waters. Weezie would be a scooby snack. Hit em over the head.................you guys are way braver then I, by far.

You gotta catchem with the paddle right behind the eyes to makem give back the bird. Remember, they are more afraid of you than you of them.
    Forgot something, always bring a Golden for the decoy dog.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

LOL. I thought that was what cats were for when duck hunting in the swamp?

Bad Rich Bad. I firmly believe in avoiding things that can eat me. or my dog.