The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet The Pastor

Quote Originally Posted by black0989 View Post
    Unfortunately he is allowed to do what he wants. Marines and other military members will pay the price, its a shame, but nothing can be done.

Ignorance is bliss.

Semper Fi regards

And it's not the first time the military paid the price for the rants of idiot civilians. Anyone want to recall the antics of Hanoi Jane and her followers. Think the soldiers didn't pay for that so-called American protest by the lefties in this nation?

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
    Once again, I fall on the side of free speech. These idiots have the right to burn a Koran, a phone book, a Bible, an American flag or the Sears catalog as long as they own it. That said, I'm frustrated that the media has given them a worldwide forum. Why it's news that a group of nutjobs in Gatorland want to burn a book is beyond me. The fact that it's getting so much coverage is what's causing all the problems.
    And again, I find it ironic that some who complain loudly about the suppression of civil liberties in other cases want to deprive this person of his rights in this case. You either believe in and support freedom or you don't. One man's opinion.
    Oh boy. Not this again. Nobody has said that he CAN'T burn them. Everyone just thinks he shouldn't.

It's like DNF and the mosque again!!

What if the Ragheads were going to burn bibles? I seriously doubt any fuss would be made at all. Again its a one way street.

Quote Originally Posted by gman0046 View Post
    What if the Ragheads were going to burn bibles? I seriously doubt any fuss would be made at all. Again its a one way street.
    I suspect there have been many Bibles and Korans burned since this story first broke.........since 9-11 for that matter.

This is an issue that will come up again and again in our viral-video culture. Any yahoo with a match and an iPhone can command the attention of top militay commanders 8000 miles away and the US Dept of State!!

Much of the muslim world does not (cannot, given their circumstances) that the US gov't does not supress such actions, and therefore, to the extremists, appear complicit or even supportive.

This is a problem with no simple answer, and one that is likely to come up again and again, given the attention it garnered for this particular kook. And that's what kooks really want.........attention.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    This is a problem with no simple answer, and one that is likely to come up again and again, given the attention it garnered for this particular kook. And that's what kooks really want.........attention.

Am I the only one who found this kinda funny, perhaps even a bit 'pot meet kettle-ish'?

Sorry, Dave...low hanging fruit buddy...

Quote Originally Posted by gman0046 View Post
    I guess I would consider that to be as inappropriate as when you and the other "white hoods" get together to burn whatever religious symbols you like.

The last big bible burning happened last October in North Carolina when some pastor decided that the King James version of the bible was the only one reflecting the word of God and called for burning all other versions. He received a lot of attention nationally, but at least he wasn't going out of his way to undermine our country's military

From a first amendment perspective, I figure that anyone in this country, acting in a personal capacity, who wants to burn books, flags, or even crosses can do so assuming they are not violating fire codes, air quality regulations, or property rights. That doesn't make it right, just legal. Personally, if the pastor's little book burning gets out of hand and his church begins to go up in flames, I might have to rethink my atheism.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Personally, if the pastor's little book burning gets out of hand and his church begins to go up in flames, I might have to rethink my atheism.
    LOL.

It wouldn't make you consider Christianity because that would be some old school, Old Testament wrath. And you wouldn't be inspired to turn to Islam because, as they tell us, they are the religion of peace, and Mohammed would never torch an infidel's house of worship. Only Buddhism could produce that kind of delicious karma.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    LOL.

It wouldn't make you consider Christianity because that would be some old school, Old Testament wrath. And you wouldn't be inspired to turn to Islam because, as they tell us, they are the religion of peace, and Mohammed would never torch an infidel's house of worship. Only Buddhism could produce that kind of delicious karma.
    I've always been more into karmic justice and have definitely always found Judaism a lot more appealing the Christianity. That stuff is just too bland.

Are any other Christians out there upset at the burning of a holy book that references God, and many of the same prophets as the Bible does, including Jesus Christ? While Muslims do not regard Jesus as a deity, they do hold him in the highest esteem as a prophet of God. I would think burning the Koran would be frowned upon by peaceful Christians. (and fortunately, many have spoken out against this act of hate)
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

So,,,,is it possible that this crazy old hate filled pastor had an ulterior motive????

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/09/flo...pt=T1&iref=BN1

(CNN) -- The Florida pastor who had planned to burn copies of the Quran on Saturday has called off the controversial event.
    The Rev. Terry Jones of the Gainesville, Florida-based Dove World Outreach Center also announced Thursday that the imam who planned a mosque and Islamic center near ground zero in New York has agreed to move it to another
    location.
    Jones said he will travel to New York on Saturday to meet with Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf.