The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: on videos and viruses <gdg>

Banned

Default on videos and viruses <gdg>

lots of folks post and watch videos on here, and that in itself is cool. but if you ever get a popup saying you have to ugrade your flash dont click it - it may contain a trojan called "security suite" that has an icon that looks like the gold norton shield. i vaguely recall doing so weeks ago, and i guess it sat and simmered and then somehow launched earlier this week because it caught me by surprise

pain the rear but i got it out on my own. there are several sites that tell you how to get rid of it, but they dont all work. finally one that used "hijack this" along with "malwarebytes" worked, but malwarebytes alone was useless......

unless its changed hijackthis is just a dump tool that tells you running processes and memory dump. So malwarebytes on its own would be what got it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    unless its changed hijackthis is just a dump tool that tells you running processes and memory dump. So malwarebytes on its own would be what got it.
    hijackthis gives you a dump of your registry keys as before, and now has a check box so you can select to delete any given key(s).

malwarebytes was not finding the bad registry keys, which one would assume it could do. so when i ran it and deleted the 3 infected files it found, then rebooted, the same problem popped up. so i ran it again, zero infected files, still virus. then ran hijackthis, deleted the 3 bad registry keys, and all is good.

there used to be a place where you could post your hijack this dump log and expert geeks could tell you exactly what to delete to really clean up your start menu the right way. wish i could find them again.....

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    hijackthis gives you a dump of your registry keys as before, and now has a check box so you can select to delete any given key(s).

malwarebytes was not finding the bad registry keys, which one would assume it could do. so when i ran it and deleted the 3 infected files it found, then rebooted, the same problem popped up. so i ran it again, zero infected files, still virus. then ran hijackthis, deleted the 3 bad registry keys, and all is good.

there used to be a place where you could post your hijack this dump log and expert geeks could tell you exactly what to delete to really clean up your start menu the right way. wish i could find them again.....
    Pretty much any tech forum

I had that bogus security program virus ... my computer guy got rid of it with a combo of malwarbytes & CCleaner.

But there was one trojan horse he couldn't get rid of with that process ... a false alert virus. I might try hijackthis to see if that will work.

The virus operates in Outlook Express. When you send an email, it says there was an error ... it DOES send the email, but also leaves a copy in your "Outbox" ... so every time you send another email or your computer does automatic send/receive, it sends that email in the outbox again! It keeps adding every email you send to the Outbox & resends them ... etc, etc.

If anyone has fixed this ... boy I'd really like to get rid of this thing!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

the only problem with iMac getting so popular, is that someday we'll probably have to worry about all that crap too.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    lots of folks post and watch videos on here, and that in itself is cool. but if you ever get a popup saying you have to ugrade your flash dont click it - it may contain a trojan called "security suite" that has an icon that looks like the gold norton shield. i vaguely recall doing so weeks ago, and i guess it sat and simmered and then somehow launched earlier this week because it caught me by surprise

pain the rear but i got it out on my own. there are several sites that tell you how to get rid of it, but they dont all work. finally one that used "hijack this" along with "malwarebytes" worked, but malwarebytes alone was useless......
    Thanks for the info. I learned a long time ago I don't run upgrades from pop ups. If I need an update, I go to the official website and get it. I also don't load updates if the old ones are working. Depending on your hardware, updates can suck up a lot of resources unnecessarily.