The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning The Other Cheek

Default Turning The Other Cheek

Not to distract from the other thread, DipittyDawg suggest that we would have been better off to have "turned the other cheek" after the attacks on 911.

Isn't that what the Christian Bible directs its followers to do?

I agree that we took our eye off the goal or mission, to kill or capture bin Lauden. Our efforts against radical Islam was faulty. What in the hell was the then current administration thinking getting us mired in Iraq?

Did they really believe the Intel? They really sold it to Gen Colin Powell and used him as the fall guy. I remember Powell's presentation to the UN on Iraq's WMD's. Was Pres Bush trying to gain acceptence from his father by going after Saddam from hiring Bush 41 hitmen? Was it a Dick Chaney "grand experiment" to bring Democray to Iraq? Don't try and tell me it was worth the lives of US Servicemen, much less the teasure it cost us!

Turn the other cheek? Not me brother, I don't pretend to be a Christian like some on this board! I'm all for killing bin Lauden and his band of thugs and those that support them!
    Last edited by Franco; 09-12-2010 at 01:21 PM.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

The bible also states an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq

Every day should be Veteran's day.

"They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

Maybe Dip would feel differently if one of the three thousand killed by Raghead extremists on 9/11 happened to be one of his loved ones.

Franco-

I abstained from commenting on that post yesterday out of respect for the day, the families and our military. I found the idea of turning the other cheek to be totally without merit-for this reason: these are not 'normal' enemies. They want us all dead and are fanantical is their quest to kill us. They have no honor, they will slaughter the innocent, turn on their own neighbors and family, televise beheadings, and are depraved disgusting beings who thrive on hate and terror. The rules of combat that we as American's believe in are not followed by this enemy. If turning the other cheek will lead to our slaughter-then I firmly believe that Christ will want us to defend ourselves with honor. All life is precious, including our own. What Christ ultimately wants is for each soul to be His and to be saved. If we all followed his teachings there would be no war, no killing, no hate. Sadly we are incapable of even being decent or civil on this forum-the idea that we as a whole would opt for peace is but a pipe dream.

The idea of doing nothing after 9/11 would have emboldened a crazed group of terrorists, lead to more terror attacks and would have ultimately resulted in the loss of the freedom's we hold so dear. To be pacifists in today's world is a death sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Not to distract from the other thread, DipittyDawg suggest that we would have been better off to have "turned the other cheek" after the attacks on 911.

Isn't that what the Christian Bible directs its followers to do?

I agree that we took our eye off the goal or mission, to kill or capture bin Lauden. Our efforts against radical Islam was faulty. What in the hell was the then current administration thinking getting us mired in Iraq?

Did they really believe the Intel? They really sold it to Gen Colin Powell and used him as the fall guy. I remember Powell's presentation to the UN on Iraq's WMD's. Was Pres Bush trying to gain acceptence from his father by going after Saddam from hiring Bush 41 hitmen? Was it a Dick Chaney "grand experiment" to bring Democray to Iraq? Don't try and tell me it was worth the lives of US Servicemen, much less the teasure it cost us!

Turn the other cheek? Not me brother, I don't pretend to be a Christian like some on this board! I'm all for killing bin Lauden and his band of thugs and those that support them!

You, me, and every politician from every party agreed with that. That's why nobody complained when we went into Afghanistan after the perpetrators of 911. Then, for reasons unknown (to this day) the Bush administration chose to let bin Laden slip through our fingers, and abandon the Afghanistan mission, instead focusing on Iraq. As Franco alluded to, I don't believe there was "faulty" intel, or genuine concern for the Kurds. There was some agenda that we are not privy to. The decision to go to war in Iraq will go down in history as a grand blunder. And one our kids and grandkids will have to pay for. I shudder to think of all the bridges, schools, GAS PIPELINES, that could have been upgraded and built with the billions we spend in Iraq.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    Franco-

I abstained from commenting on that post yesterday out of respect for the day, the families and our military. I found the idea of turning the other cheek to be totally without merit-for this reason: these are not 'normal' enemies. They want us all dead and are fanantical is their quest to kill us. They have no honor, they will slaughter the innocent, turn on their own neighbors and family, televise beheadings, and are depraved disgusting beings who thrive on hate and terror. The rules of combat that we as American's believe in are not followed by this enemy. If turning the other cheek will lead to our slaughter-then I firmly believe that Christ will want us to defend ourselves with honor. All life is precious, including our own. What Christ ultimately wants is for each soul to be His and to be saved. If we all followed his teachings there would be no war, no killing, no hate. Sadly we are incapable of even being decent or civil on this forum-the idea that we as a whole would opt for peace is but a pipe dream.

The idea of doing nothing after 9/11 would have emboldened a crazed group of terrorists, lead to more terror attacks and would have ultimately resulted in the loss of the freedom's we hold so dear. To be pacifists in today's world is a death sentence.
    I wholeheartedly agree, the meek shall not inherit the earth.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree, the meek shall not inherit the earth.
    they will be subjugated...
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Banned

Franco-

As usual you missed the point of the statement. Here it is. To do nothing and to result in being better off than we are now was an acknowledgement that the reaction we DID undertake was SO WRONG, and SO COSTLY, that we are now worse off than had we done absolutely nothing at all.
    I will admit, that as I wrote that statement, the thought of Jesus Christ did occur to me. And I strongly disagree with you that Jesus would have condoned killing innocent people, including children for Christs sake in our zeal to extract revenge and justice. When he was executed on the cross, his last statement was to forgive those who drove the spikes into his hands and feet, whipped him, tortured him and finally hung him on a cross to die. Certainly if you believe in his deity, you believe he could have struck down every Jewish person, or Roman on the planet in his vengeance.
    While I can never aspire to such humility as Christ achieved, I can at least acknowledge, that when my countries actions result in the death of innocent people, I condemn those actions and will try to make sure it never happens again.

Do me a favor and re-read my post. If, IF, we all followed Christ's teachings we wouldn't be in this position now would we???? Well guess what, we are-I prefer to defend myself and my country. I support my military and while I may not agree with our leaders I do support them. AND I pray for them-constantly. We are not war-mongers, this was brought to our shores, our shores-our citizens killed. So yes we are at war, you turn the other cheek and live happily(for about 12 seconds if those jihadist get hold of you).
    Last edited by Pals; 09-12-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: bad word

Do me a favor and re-read my post. If, IF, we all followed Christ's teachings we wouldn't be in this position now would we???? Well guess what, we are-I prefer to defend myself and my country. I support my military and while I may not agree with our leaders I do support them. AND I pray for them-constantly. We are not war-mongers, this was brought to our shores, our shores-our citizens killed. So yes we are at war, you turn the other cheek and live happily(for about 12 seconds if those jihadist get hold of you).

I understood your post perfectly.

I'm not interested in another Christian Crusade, I just want the terrorist dead.
    Last edited by Franco; 09-12-2010 at 07:03 PM.