The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Training a 2 year old dog

Default Training a 2 year old dog

I've got a dog that turns 2 in December, we figure. Rescued her when she was a pup.

She's half lab and half what ever got over the fence. Anyway, she has basic obidance going. Sit, heel, and here pretty good.

Is it to late to work with her to become a water dog?

On that note, does anyone have any books or dvds recommendations on training an older dog?

she is not that old at all, good luck and welcome to the RTF
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

All you have to do is forget you're working with a 2 yr. old and use a good, proven program..Start exactly as you are doing now!..building the foundation to work off of..recommending a program would be difficult not knowing how you want to train your dog and the expectations that you are looking for in the end..(Force or Non-Force)..

I started my golden at 7 years. She just Earned her Senior Hunter title a few weekends ago at 9 years old. Its NEVER too late.

Thanks

Pretty cool site. Found it off of another forum geared towards hunting.

One of the nice things about dogs, with regard to training, is that they don't know how old they are. They don't know what breed or color they are, or what it might say on a pedigree. They're just dogs, and each one deserves the best training you can give them.

Don't let your efforts be guided by any preconceived notions about age. Start from the ground up, and use a proven sequential method to build skill upon skill, and let the dog tell you if he has limitations.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverLuvr View Post
    I started my golden at 7 years. She just Earned her Senior Hunter title a few weekends ago at 9 years old. Its NEVER too late.

That's really cool! What's that they say about old dogs and new tricks???

Wow! That is amazing, its a lot like J Paul Jackson's Achilles, that dog has no idea how old he is, and he is up there, but yet he is still regarded as one of the best all time dogs in the SRS

Also my buddy had a 4 year old that he turned into a MH at 6, great dog!