The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL goes LegalZoom

I'm confused why everyone is complaining. All the coaches and players know the rule this isn't the first time some idiot hasn't protected the ball and it be called incomplete. The ground CAN cause an incomplete pass and the rule state he must have complete control through the whole play. Not complete control until some announcers and pissed off fans decide the play is over.

I can assure you next time he will hold onto the ball a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    It was an incomplete pass.

The rule:
    "If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete. "

Quit whining.

RK

Not whining, not a Lions fan either. Just don't want to see official timeouts for legal review. Timeout for appeals, and a supreme court in the booth to review the rules.

This is what I think of when I think football.....and I'm no oilers fan either!
    (you'll enjoy this!)

Watch the Ram get eviscerated at 1:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNLXATdmV-E
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    I'm confused why everyone is complaining. All the coaches and players know the rule this isn't the first time some idiot hasn't protected the ball and it be called incomplete. The ground CAN cause an incomplete pass and the rule state he must have complete control through the whole play. Not complete control until some announcers and pissed off fans decide the play is over.

I can assure you next time he will hold onto the ball a bit better.

Really? It amazes me how poor the reading skills of the American public are. Have you even read the rules? Here is some help with the rules and their interpretation. This is a complete fail by the NFL. With rulings like these, NFL Football is no better than professional wrestling.

http://blog.mlive.com/hugeblog/2010/...ome_updat.html

Al Capone is turning over in his grave with pride at this hour as the Detroit Lions and their heartbroken fans try to recover their football souls after being robbed of a win Sunday in Chicago.

You can try to cut this up any way you want, but the bottom line is the officials on the field and in the review booth blew the call when Lions receiver Calvin Johnson appeared to have hauled in the game-winning touchdown with 24 seconds remaining.

They all should be fired immediately. If the league had any footballs they would overturn the Bears victory by using their own written word in the NFL rulebook.

Here is the 2009 version of the NFL continuation rule the mindless and spineless zebras used against Johnson making the catch.

My response follows each paragraph.

"A player is in possession when he is in firm grip and control of the ball inbounds. To gain possession of a loose ball that has been caught, intercepted or recovered, a player must have complete control of the ball and have both feet completely on the ground inbounds or any other part of his body, other than his hands, on the ground inbounds.

(Huge opinion: Johnson had both feet on the ground with possession.)

"If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any other part of his body to the ground or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous, there is no possession. This rule applies to the field of play and in the end zone."

(Huge opinion: Johnson never bobbled or lost control of the ball until both feet, his knee and the other hand touched the ground.)

"A player who goes to the ground in the process of attempting to secure possession of a loose ball (with or without contact by a defender) must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone.

(Huge opinion: He had secured possession of the football before he touched the ground so this does not apply.)

"If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, there is no possession. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, it is a catch, interception or recovery."

(Huge opinion: This part of the rule validates his catch as a touchdown.)

Here is the NFL rulebook on what defines ball possession of the ball:

"Possession: When a player controls the ball throughout the act of clearly touching both feet, or any other part of his body other than his hand(s), to the ground inbounds."

Detroit's Calvin Johnson catches the ball in the end zone while being defended by Chicago's Zackary Bowman.
    (Huge opinion: So, once Johnson touched both feet, it's a touchdown. Do officials carry a rulebook with them like my Little League umpires used to do?)

Now, if a runner can cross the plane of a goal line with possession of the football for a touchdown, then once Johnson put both feet on the ground with possession, it should have been a touchdown.

Here is the league rule on touchdowns:

"Touchdown: When any part of the ball, legally in possession of a player inbounds, breaks the plane of the opponent's goal line, provided it is not a touchback."

(Huge opinion: What I have seen on video 50 times and what this rule says along with every other NFL bylaw proves there is an injustice here that deserves some recourse on the NFL paid officials who blew this call.)

This is not another Jim Joyce situation we had in baseball back in June.

The officials on the field and in the booth had the advantage of using instant replay. They don't deserve to work another game in the NFL. When you only play 16 regular-season games, officials can't take away games by their own incompetence.

Someone has to pay the price for this travesty.

If someone preaches any more forgiveness in sports to me for not being perfect when you have a rulebook and video replay to right your wrongs, I will scream.

A win Sunday would have meant the world to a franchise looking for something to build on.

I will say even if Johnson's catch would have been the game-winner, it still would not have helped this team long term. The unknown health and football future of Matthew Stafford is a bigger blow than any blown call means to the Lions organization.

The suffering will continue for all as we watch left tackle Jeff Backus allow defenders to continually knock his quarterbacks out of games.

For coach Jim Schwartz to defend Backus as one of the better offensive linemen in the game shows he may not be the judge of talent we think he is or the head coach who takes them to the next level.

For a man who came to Detroit to infuse defense, his team's first-half defensive game plan was picked apart by an offensive coordinator the Lions previously fired in Mike Martz.

The good thing is the defensive line looks like it belongs in the NFL.

Easy to coach a guy such as Ndamukong Suh, who can just run over people. The back seven on defense, outside of Louis Delmas, look like they belong at home with us.

Also hidden in the game-ending emotion was an offensive game plan against the Bears that was conservative and outright foolish. To not use Johnson more the entire game is a coaching staff not ready to win games.

The only good thing about the replay drama is that it buried what still is bad about the Lions.
    Last edited by Buzz; 09-14-2010 at 08:30 AM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

No I've never sat around and read the rules. I have seen plays like this many times before and they were always called this way and the refs always gave the same explaination. The head of officiating said the rule was enforced correctly so again its just a bunch of fans and announcers pissed because THEY don't understand the rules. AGAIN there have been many calls like this in the past and they are almost always ruled this way and the NFL officiating committee has addressed it. The disgruntled fans and announcers are wrong not the other way around.

After further reveiw......the call stands!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

first i have heard of the desean jackson bone headed play. johnson and jackson are on my fantasy team. they need to tighten up, don't they know how serious fantasy football is?