The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: who said that?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gman0046 View Post
    Buzz how about your idiotic post demeaning those of us who have dogs participating in Dock Diving. Do you think you made any friends doing that? Too bad your dogs are not athletic enough to compete. Then again you probably don't have the know how to train them.
    oh darn i missed that one.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Just when I thought the bar couldn't get any lower, you somehow manage to lower it yet again! Congrats!

RK: have no idea where you attack came from. Maybe you better explain for those of us of inferior intellect?
    hmmmmmm, the victim card.
    Is that page 2 or 3????
    Your funny!!

RK
    Last edited by road kill; 09-13-2010 at 04:01 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Dock diving, really? Is that a real sport? Does it go on the pedigree?

I was training in Alabama one winter when I stopped to talk to a gentleman in the RV park where I was staying. He had a couple of nice looking labs, upon which I commented favorably. He said he was on his way to a "field trial". I asked what stake he was running in. It took all the effort I could muster to restrain myself from laughing at him when he said seriously, "We have them entered into the dock diving"
    Last edited by zeus3925; 09-13-2010 at 04:07 PM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Wish DD was a field trial event. Probably the only one i'd have a chance at winning. Its a sport where you and your family can have a lot of fun with your best friends. My dogs love it.

Most of us don't have a chance of winning the type where birds are involved.

At least not the ones that award points that are recognized by AKC.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Dock diving, really? Is that a real sport? Does it go on the pedigree?
    Retrieving dead wood ducks in a swamp doesn't go on a pedigree either...

Just sayin......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by walt8@cox.net View Post
    Do you need to train them to do this? My dogs fly off the end of our dock at the lake, and have from the first time they laid eyes on it. Scared hell out of me, we've got a lot of ski boats zooming around and they look like they're jumping a good 20 feet out, wobbly dock and all.
    Can't be anything wrong with something that looks like so much fun for everybody, I'd do it if it was close enough.
    Walt
    there is definitely some training that is beneficial if you want to get the best out of the dog. one thing is teaching them to leap from the end of the dock, as opposed to 2 or 3 feet before, its all in the stride and timing and placement.

there is also "pop". training to jump more up rather than too level
    so they get more distance.

they measure where the base of the tail meets the water, so some try to teach and and throw the toy higher so the dog is more vertical, putting the base of the tail further forward.

an then there is extreme vertical. some dogs just dont get it.

my dog has a good, hard, exuberant water entry, to the point of me always being fearful of underwater objects, but he just doesnt jump all that far since he is a show line, big and blocky and beefy like a running back, rather than sleek like a wide receiver.

i have seen many a trained retriever with handlers saying their dog jumps 20 feet all day at their pool or pond and then get up on that dock and dog freezes, and the handler goes home pissed and embarrassed.

whats for certain is the dogs love it. its like taking a group of 5 yr old kids to the pool, they go nuts. i like it as something different to do, i dont get too excited about since my dog is not a top contender and thats fine because i dont need to spend that much money since i also have hunt tests and thats the priority without a doubt.

Dockdogs is working with UKC to have a point and title system, so i hear......

David, good post on Dock Diving. Like you said, hitting the very edge of the dock can mean a difference of several feet. It takes a lot of practice for the dogs and the handler. A well placed throw can make all the difference. The dogs absolutely go nuts over it. If you could see the dog in my Avatar up close you'd see a smile on her face. Sure its fun to win but you don't have to win to have fun. Its all about the dogs. Its not like hunting were its you and the dogs, its something for the wife and kids to enjoy as well. We've met a lot of real nice folks at events. The old timers are always eager to help the newbies. It's a great activity to keep your dogs in shape during the spring and summer time. Try it you and your dogs will enjoy it.
    Last edited by gman0046; 09-14-2010 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gman0046 View Post
    David, good post on Dock Diving. Like you said, hitting the very edge of the dock can mean a difference of several feet. It takes a lot of practice for the dogs and the handler. A well placed throw can make all the difference. The dogs absolutely go nuts over it. If you could see the dog in my Avatar up close you'd see a smile on her face. Sure its fun to win but you don't have to win to have fun. Its all about the dogs. Its not like hunting were its you and the dogs, its something for the wife and kids to enjoy as well. We've met a lot of real nice folks at events. The old timers are always eager to help the newbies. It's a great activity to keep your dogs in shape during the spring and summer time. Try it you and your dogs will enjoy it.

could someone please explain the purpose of dockdiving competition? It looks like all have fun, including the dog, but aren't most dog events based on tasks the dogs were bred to perform? sure getting in water is part of a dogs job, but specifically training it to run full blast the the very edge then launch really doesn't do much for retrieving, does it? I mean, I'd rather my dog sit attentively at watch as several ducks go down and mark them, rather than getting all hyped up focusing on the edge of the bank. I've had some companion dogs that I would consider this for as a fun outlet, but probably wouldn't want my hunting dog trained on this.

Not donning a flame suit, as this is not a dig, just a question and observation.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Don't know about your dog dnf, but mine can Dock Dive and hunt as well. Too bad your dog can't do both as its a lot of fun for the dogs. Having to explain the purpose of Dock Diving is self explanatory. Its to have fun with your dogs. As far as it doesn't do much for retrieving, its obvious you've seen the "speed retrieve" competition. Its amazing how someone who knows nothing about a subject can bad mouth it just to be argumentative. Its a typical dnf post. dnf have your dogs ever won ANY competition? The dog in my Avatar has won many. She's a Dock Diving Champion who never missed the Final Four in any event she participated in and a tireless hunter. It's one thing to post anti-American drivel but now you've taken to bad mouthing dogs having fun. Sad,sad,sad.
    Last edited by gman0046; 09-14-2010 at 08:26 AM.