The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: who said that?

dnf, It's not just me questioning your motives. As always, others have picked up on your posts as well. Its also obvious you have little or no knowledge of what is beneficial for dogs. DD is nothing more then then instilling a dogs desire to retrieve. How could that be a detriment? I've never heard training for one thing affects negatively on what a dog has learned previously. I chalk that up to the source.
    Last edited by gman0046; 09-14-2010 at 09:14 AM.

I think dnf is taking some of the heat from my remark about dock diving.

Seriously, I do have a dog that would be a good candidate for dock diving. I cringe when ever he hits the water hard. He has a really spectacular water entry. My concern is that he might impale himself on an stick or other object just beneath the surface.

gman, You're getting enjoyment from your dog and that is great. Better that than letting him molder away as a speed bump in the run. Maybe us field trialers and hunt testers are the fools putting $thousands in our dogs to get some joy winning a little silk ribbon.
    Sarge

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by gman0046 View Post
    I've never heard training for one thing affects negatively on what a dog has learned previously. I chalk that up to the source.

I don't know. I was watching Dennis Voight on his DVD "Training Alone." He talked about not doing fun bumpers with movement next to the dogs that will excite them because it erodes the steadiness in "fully trained dogs." I think this is what DNF was talking about, but I could be wrong.

My dogs are high powered in the extreme. I have enough trouble getting them to sit still as it is.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

zeus3925, no one is a fool for training a dog for any activity thats enjoyment for both owners and dogs. I spent a bunch on the dog in my Avatar getting her trained by a professional for hunt training. Her Sire was a MH and I sent her to the professional who trained and handled him. She is an accomplished hunter and dock diver. We only DD in the spring and summer anyway. Again, I've seen professional hunt trainers handle dogs in DD they've trained for hunting. I'd be happy to supply their names if anyone's interested.
    Last edited by gman0046; 09-14-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gman0046 View Post
    I've never heard training for one thing affects negatively on what a dog has learned previously. .
    I've never questioned you dog training ability, but that statement calls it into question. Care to post that statement on the regualr RTF and see what people say?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Darn nice photogs there, Gib! Did you do the work?
    Sarge

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    could someone please explain the purpose of dockdiving competition? It looks like all have fun, including the dog, but aren't most dog events based on tasks the dogs were bred to perform? sure getting in water is part of a dogs job, but specifically training it to run full blast the the very edge then launch really doesn't do much for retrieving, does it? I mean, I'd rather my dog sit attentively at watch as several ducks go down and mark them, rather than getting all hyped up focusing on the edge of the bank. I've had some companion dogs that I would consider this for as a fun outlet, but probably wouldn't want my hunting dog trained on this.

Not donning a flame suit, as this is not a dig, just a question and observation.
    Just an observation, that isn't even directed at dnf and his ilk, but when someone apologetically states he doesn't mean to dig, or offend, it's a sure bet he fully intends to prod, dig and offend; and any preceding apologetic excuse is fraudulent as well as insincere. Qualifying boorish commentst beforehand does NOT make them any less offensive.

And as for remarks like this:
    Originally Posted by zeus3925
    Dock diving, really? Is that a real sport? Does it go on the pedigree?
    Of course it doesn't go on the pedigree. Neither does 99 percent of other activities people do with dogs daily for fun and enjoyment. Personally I think anything a person trains their dog to do and gets off the couch and does, is a good thing.

And, cool photos, Gibson!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    I think dnf is taking some of the heat from my remark about dock diving.

Seriously, I do have a dog that would be a good candidate for dock diving. I cringe when ever he hits the water hard. He has a really spectacular water entry. My concern is that he might impale himself on an stick or other object just beneath the surface.

gman, You're getting enjoyment from your dog and that is great. Better that than letting him molder away as a speed bump in the run. Maybe us field trialers and hunt testers are the fools putting $thousands in our dogs to get some joy winning a little silk ribbon.
    like i said, 100% amateur trained, master pass at 20 mos, and a dock diver since 6 months. where's the detriment?

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    [FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Just an observation, that isn't even directed at dnf and his ilk, but when someone apologetically states he doesn't mean to dig, or offend, it's a sure bet he fully intends to prod, dig and offend; ]
    So by that logic, that comment WAS directed at me and my ilk?

Julie, with this crowd, you have to pre-appologize if you say the sky is blue. That is sure to offend someone and start a firestorm.

If Gib would have just commented about his dog's accomplishments I would have been appreciative, as I am of Buzz's comments regard Dennis.

I've seen those DD comps, and some (not all) of the dogs appeared 'less than steady', in anticipation of the big event. Is it not legit to ask how this affects marking ability (or steadieness?)
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Is it not legit to ask how this affects marking ability (or steadieness?)
    Sure it's legit to wonder about it but it's their dog. Why question it on POTUS? If DD creates problems, they have to deal with it.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth