The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate this speech video clip...

Default Rate this speech video clip...

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    He wasn't quoting, and he left out quite a few words, not just the Creator.

I don’t believe it was really a recitation of that part of the United States Declaration of Independence. It could have been selected parts.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

But it was complete with the exclusion of "endowed by their creator."

Maybe he doesn’t believe in that part. I expect, like most lefties, they would rather see that phrase changed to “endowed by their government” or “endowed by the UN.”
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    I don’t believe it was really a recitation of that part of the United States Declaration of Independence. It could have been selected parts.

Quote:
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

But it was complete with the exclusion of "endowed by their creator."

Maybe he doesn’t believe in that part. I expect, like most lefties, they would rather see that phrase changed to “endowed by their government” or “endowed by the UN.”
    He actually left out all the words shown in red. As an atheist who is one of those you would consider a "lefty" (Lefties don't actually consider me to be one because I am too conservative), I have no problems with the use of the term Creator in the Declaration. The term is very ambiguous and would apply equally well to any concept of creation. For me, it simply means that those rights are born with us, not "granted" by anyone or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    He actually left out all the words shown in red. As an atheist who is one of those you would consider a "lefty" (Lefties don't actually consider me to be one because I am too conservative), I have no problems with the use of the term Creator in the Declaration. The term is very ambiguous and would apply equally well to any concept of creation. For me, it simply means that those rights are born with us, not "granted" by anyone or anything.
    Jeff

I doubt anyone would consider you a conservative in the conventional sense. Maybe you are considered a theoretical conservative as measured by no one but you and some small group of lefties, but by any honest and logical measure you are left wing extremist.

as to the term creator being ambiguous, there is nothing ambiguous about it. You choose to look at it that way. It was clear when it was written. The interpretation is clear.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Jeff

I doubt anyone would consider you a conservative in the conventional sense. Maybe you are considered a theoretical conservative as measured by no one but you and some small group of lefties, but by any honest and logical measure you are left wing extremist.

as to the term creator being ambiguous, there is nothing ambiguous about it. You choose to look at it that way. It was clear when it was written. The interpretation is clear.

Would that be on the right wing extremist scale?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Most likely because he's not looking at a teleprompter, which caused him to say what he really believes.
    "Endowed" means to be provided with or to be furnished with something from a source. To use that term means you must believe that those Rights come from somewhere, not that they were just "there". PBO knew he was leaving out those important words, look at him pause and press his lips together before the omission.
    Of course you as an atheist would find the term "ambiguous" but apparently the Founders didn't. That's why they didn't use a term like "the concept of creation" to recognize where the Rights came from, but rather singularly defined and capitalized the source, the provider of that endowment, the Creator.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Most likely because he's not looking at a teleprompter, which caused him to say what he really believes.
    "Endowed" means to be provided with or to be furnished with something from a source. To use that term means you must believe that those Rights come from somewhere, not that they were just "there". PBO knew he was leaving out those important words, look at him pause and press his lips together before the omission.
    Of course you as an atheist would find the term "ambiguous" but apparently the Founders didn't. That's why they didn't use a term like "the concept of creation" to recognize where the Rights came from, but rather singularly defined and capitalized the source, the provider of that endowment, the Creator.
    Why do you think the founders (or Jefferson, who authored this phrase) used the term Creator instead of "God" or "Our Lord"?

Talk about taking a positive message and trying to distort into, the president isn't really a Christian type meme. Maybe he's a Muslim, trying to bring Sharia Law in by the back door...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I also found it interesting when he made the point to put a HUGE emphasis on the word 'Mexicans', which, of course, was followed by an equally huge round of applause.