The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: lightbulb question

  1. #1
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default lightbulb question

    Can anyone explain to me why it is better to induce mercury, a known toxin into my house than use a tiny bit more electricity?
    Stocking up on the traditional lightbulbs as much as I can!
    Rmember the swordfish bann due to mercury in the 70's?
    Last edited by luvmylabs23139; 09-20-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: add swordfish
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  2. #2
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Can anyone explain to me why it is better to induce mercury, a known toxin into my house than use a tiny bit more electricity?
    Stocking up on the traditional lightbulbs as much as I can!
    It's a fair question. Incandescent bulbs use 4-8 times the electricity of fluorescent bulbs producing the same amount of light. Lighting makes up a little less than 10% of total electricity consumed by residential customers. At the low end, a shift to fluorescent lighting would reduce total electrical consumption by 6-7% overall. That is roughly equivalent to what would be saved if all clothes dryers were eliminated and we returned to hanging our clothes outside to dry. That savings works out to about 100 billion KwH per year or about 59 million barrels of crude.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,125

    Default

    Is the mercury introduced from simply using them? Or does it only happen if/when the fluorescent bulbs are broken? I honestly don't know, so don't assume I'm being cute with my question.

    For the record, I use em all.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

  4. #4
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    If they break, you have a problem. But seriously they have a long list of rules for disposal.
    WE got rid of the floating thermometer in our pool after a young lab decided to try and retrieve one. If i'm that worried as a dog owner about mercury why the heck would anyone with a toddler want that toxin to be the only option in their home.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  5. #5
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TN_LAB View Post
    Is the mercury introduced from simply using them? Or does it only happen if/when the fluorescent bulbs are broken?
    .
    Lead based paint is not harmful. What is harmful is eating lead based paint, yet if you own a home that may have had lead based pant applied to it you must file a dsclaimer when you sell the house.
    Talk about a double standard
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    If they break, you have a problem. But seriously they have a long list of rules for disposal.
    WE got rid of the floating thermometer in our pool after a young lab decided to try and retrieve one. If i'm that worried as a dog owner about mercury why the heck would anyone with a toddler want that toxin to be the only option in their home.
    one of the types of places i audit in my day job is fluorescent bulb recyclers. the amount of mercury in them is very minute, breaking one is no real danger, breaking them and eating the powder inside is not recommended

    the high intensity bulbs - like in a stadium - have much more and must be handled with much more care. but what is in your house is no big deal

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Lead based paint is not harmful. What is harmful is eating lead based paint, yet if you own a home that may have had lead based pant applied to it you must file a dsclaimer when you sell the house.
    Talk about a double standard

    the danger from eating it is when it chips and kids play with it - windowsills, and outside.

    without kids, the greatest danger is inhalation. my former next door neighbor lived in an older house once and decided to remodel. sanding lead based paint and subsequent inhalation of the dust while pregnant was not a good thing, the baby and now young teen was definitely affected with learning disabilities.

    so the disclaimer is not such a bad idea imho.

  8. #8
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    breaking them and eating the powder inside is not recommended
    Same as lead based paint. There is no issue with using the paint on walls, the problem is with eating it. Now we have to disclose if the paint may have been used. Just wait a few years, we will then be required to disclose we used those newly required bulbs in a home when we try to sell it.
    That's how ths stupid gov't works.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Same as lead based paint. There is no issue with using the paint on walls, the problem is with eating it. Now we have to disclose if the paint may have been used. Just wait a few years, we will then be required to disclose we used those newly required bulbs in a home when we try to sell it.
    That's how ths stupid gov't works.
    i hear your frustration - but you can change a few bulbs much more easily and cheaply than the paint.....

  10. #10
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    20 years from now we will all be in trouble when we try to sell houses that had those mercury lightbulbs used in them. The gov't will require all lightbulbs to be those within a few years. They will have deamed our houses hard to sell. The dangers of mercury are already well known. That is my point. They are forcing a known toxin into my home.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •