The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: veterans

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post

i have become increasingly uncomfortable with how veterans are being treated by some on this forum.
    Is this a reference to veterans in general? Like the US military? Or is this referring to 'selected' vets like the late John Murtha, or the ever present John Kerry?

Like HEW and others, It's my opinion also that once a "veteran" assumes political staus, their military record is no longer a shield they can hide behind if they are being challenged or denigrated. In most cases, their military record is not in question...it's their political record.

Furthermore, having been in the military, I can tell you there are plenty 'leaders' I served under that I wouldn't take a dimes worth of their advice, especially if it's political. Several of them fell into the category of the first Sgt that said to a GI getting discharged, "I suppose you'll look me up when I'm gone and Pi$$ on my grave." The soldier said he would not, but the Sgt wanted to know why? The soldier said "I made a promise to myself that when I get out of the service, I will never stand in line again."

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Is this a reference to veterans in general? Like the US military? Or is this referring to 'selected' vets like the late John Murtha, or the ever present John Kerry?

Like HEW and others, It's my opinion also that once a "veteran" assumes political staus, their military record is no longer a shield they can hide behind if they are being challenged or denigrated. In most cases, their military record is not in question...it's their political record.

Furthermore, having been in the military, I can tell you there are plenty 'leaders' I served under that I wouldn't take a dimes worth of their advice, especially if it's political. Several of them fell into the category of the first Sgt that said to a GI getting discharged, "I suppose you'll look me up when I'm gone and Pi$$ on my grave." The soldier said he would not, but the Sgt wanted to know why? The soldier said "I made a promise to myself that when I get out of the service, I will never stand in line again."

UB

That's funny. I made two promises to myself when I got out. One, I would never use the bathroom outside again, except to urinate. Been steady on that one. Two, I would never stand outside in the rain again. Broke that one a time or two, duck hunting and such.
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq

Every day should be Veteran's day.

"They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by stumpholehunter View Post
    That's funny. I made two promises to myself when I got out. One, I would never use the bathroom outside again, except to urinate. Been steady on that one. Two, I would never stand outside in the rain again. Broke that one a time or two, duck hunting and such.
    I'm still pretty firm on that standing in line thing which means I don't go to movies much and at restaurants it's OK provided they have a bar,
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

You don't stencil you name on your truck's windshield, do you?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    You don't stencil you name on your truck's windshield, do you?
    can i ask what you mean by that question?

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    can i ask what you mean by that question?
    He doesn't really know, it's just something he heard the big kids talking about at recess.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    He doesn't really know, it's just something he heard the big kids talking about at recess.

RK
    i really dont get it. come on little tardley - explain - you said:

"You don't stencil you name on your truck's windshield, do you?"

i'll ignore the typo, but what are you asking? who stencils their name on their windshield???

latinos commonly stencil their names on their rear window in old english...so what, its a cultural thing.......hmmmm....dude, where are (or were) you going with this?
    Last edited by david gibson; 09-23-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Banned

regardless of our differences/etc, i hear ya. i hate pooping on the ground. totally. but i have to do it all the time because i love the backcountry and thats part of the price.

no where near the same when you have to do it as you did. despite our differences please know where my heart lies. i have a nephew that was an MP kicking down doors in Falluja (sp?) he saw it all, did it all, and now enjoys catching some bass a few times week as a natural eraser.....but as i am sure you know it never really works.....................

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    i really dont get it. come on little tardley - explain - you said:

"You don't stencil you name on your truck's windshield, do you?"

i'll ignore the typo, but what are you asking? who stencils their name on their windshield???

latinos commonly stencil their names on their rear window in old english...so what, its a cultural thing.......hmmmm....dude, where are (or were) you going with this?

Its a joke. There's a common sheet of "you've been in the army too long if..."
    One of the items is "you stencil your name on the windshield"
    Most Humvees have the officer and driver's name stenciled on the window.

Other hints you may have been in the army too long:

• you think "camouflage" is a primary colour.
    • you tell your kids you’ll pick them up at "sixteen-forty hours" instead of "twenty to five".
    • carrying your rifle, which used to be "cool", is now a pain in the butt.
    • the first thing you notice about a civilian is hair length.
    • you hesitate to fire your rifle...because then you’d have to clean it.
    • you iron creases in your T-shirts.
    • your hairstyle would not look out of place on "Happy Days."
    • you hate camping...because it reminds you of your day job.
    • you look at a persons collar or sleeve before you look at their face.
    • you divide people into two groups: "us" and "civilians".
    • when you relax, you unconsciously adopt the position of "stand at ease."
    • you can't enjoy watching war movies because you spend too much time nitpicking the errors.
    • you want to buy stuff "for the field" because it’s olive green, no matter how useless ("Hey, look! A camouflage melon baller!").
    • your entire civilian wardrobe consists of blue jeans, a pair of non-descript polyester dress pants, and an infinite number of T-shirts with military badges or slogans on them.
    • you get irritated seeing civilians – especially long-haired ones – wearing things like combat pants or jackets with badges still on.
    • you can say things like "butt party" or "action to the rear" with a straight face.
    • when walking with others, you automatically fall into step.
    • all matter is divided into two groups: "somethin' I can eat" and "somethin' I gotta clean."
    • you can remember wearing work dress...and your subordinate hasn't even heard of garrison dress.
    • you believe the four major food groups to be pizza, beer, cigarettes, and "other".
    • your favourite cologne is "Eau de Deep Woods OFF."
    • even in civilian clothes, you feel weird going outside without a hat.
    • the sound of a car horn blaring makes you look for the nearest trench.
    • the only way you can remember your girlfriend’s birthday is to think of it as her "civilian TOS date".
    • your idea of a makeover is switching what parts of your face get dark green camouflage and what parts get olive.
    • you find it almost impossible to carry on a conversation without resorting to acronyms or jargon.
    • you buy extra pieces of uniform, just to hang in your locker for inspection.
    • you beep your car horn twice before backing up.
    • you put hospital corners on your bed...at home.
    • you find out you have been "in" longer than some of your co-workers have been alive.
    • you ever start saying things like, "Yeah? Well, back when I joined..."
    • you run out of room on your CD ribbon for clasps, so you start using them as tie clips.
    • you say you remember when "Centurion was a rank, not a tank"...and your subordinates don’t get it.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

RK
    Read my reply to big Gibson, you might learn something, lil' gibby!