The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Parts of health-care law to take effect

Banned

Default Parts of health-care law to take effect

Several key consumer protections under the nation's new health law begin taking effect Thursday - six months after its enactment.
    Insurers can no longer set a dollar limit on the amount of care they'll provide over a person's lifetime or deny coverage to sick children. Young adults can stay on their parents' health plans until age 26. And consumers get greater rights to appeal insurers' decisions

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...#ixzz10MiBoDpV

Anyone here see a problem with the new laws a on health care that took effect today? Do any of you think you will benefit from the new health care laws?

I will certainly benefit from this. I have stage 4 colon cancer and have used up a lot of my benefits already, this will now allow me to be able to finish up the chemotherapy and any surgeries that I will need. I have a plan that I pay part from my paycheck and the rest is covered along with a deductible. I have met that already this year and now my treatment costs me nothing out of pocket but now no more limits, I can finish. I have had to skip chemo therapy several times in order to land my deductions at the right time.
    I still had a 1700 dollar bill from the hospital from Janurary that I just got done paying off, I have to pay this out to the hospital so that the illegal immigrants can get their free health care.
    12buzz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Several key consumer protections under the nation's new health law begin taking effect Thursday - six months after its enactment.
    Insurers can no longer set a dollar limit on the amount of care they'll provide over a person's lifetime or deny coverage to sick children. Young adults can stay on their parents' health plans until age 26. And consumers get greater rights to appeal insurers' decisions

Anyone here see a problem with the new laws a on health care that took effect today? Do any of you think you will benefit from the new health care laws?
    Will that cause everyone's rates to go up because the insurance company will obviously be paying out more money now?

I can't wait to see what my rates are going to be when we have open enrollment in November. They have gone up considerably in the last few years.

2005-Not married, paying for insurance only for myself, approx. $20/week.
    2006-Got married, paying assoc. +1, approx. $30/week.
    2007-Had a baby, paying family rate (max rate), approx $45/week. (this is the last increase that was MY fault.)
    2010-Still paying family rate (2 kids later) but now the rate has jumped to approx. $75/week. That's $120/month MORE than I was paying 3 years ago. In the famous words of Joe Biteme, 'This is a big f-----g deal!'
    2011-Scared to find out what it will be. I am sure it will increase and have an impact on my non-necessity spending, which will also have a negative effect on the economy, as I won't be the only one who can't afford what I used to be able to afford.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Will that cause everyone's rates to go up because the insurance company will obviously be paying out more money now?

I can't wait to see what my rates are going to be when we have open enrollment in November. They have gone up considerably in the last few years.

2005-Not married, paying for insurance only for myself, approx. $20/week.
    2006-Got married, paying assoc. +1, approx. $30/week.
    2007-Had a baby, paying family rate (max rate), approx $45/week. (this is the last increase that was MY fault.)
    2010-Still paying family rate (2 kids later) but now the rate has jumped to approx. $75/week. That's $120/month MORE than I was paying 3 years ago. In the famous words of Joe Biteme, 'This is a big f-----g deal!'
    2011-Scared to find out what it will be. I am sure it will increase and have an impact on my non-necessity spending, which will also have a negative effect on the economy, as I won't be the only one who can't afford what I used to be able to afford.
    2010 - Paying $575/month just for me. Reduced coverage two years ago to get premiums down from $720/month. Family coverage at that time was $2200/month.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    2010 - Paying $575/month just for me. Reduced coverage two years ago to get premiums down from $720/month. Family coverage at that time was $2200/month.
    I am sorry you pay so much. I am fairly certain that you make a good bit more money than I do as well, so the ratio of cost to income may not be that much different.

Will your rates go up or down as a result of this healthcare legislation?

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I am sorry you pay so much. I am fairly certain that you make a good bit more money than I do as well, so the ratio of cost to income may not be that much different.

Will your rates go up or down as a result of this healthcare legislation?
    I'm guessing they will be completely unaffected since the policy already provides coverage for children to age 26 and has no lifetime limit on benefits. By the way, I wouldn't make bets on the income. I have been semi retired for years and live primarily from savings.

Don't agree that Young adults should be allowed to cling on parents insurance till 26 y.o.! The only way I could agree with that is if full-time enrollment in college/school can be proven.
    I agree this will help some people, however, companies should not have to be limited to the coverage plans offered. Unlimited lifetime amounts of course will & should cost more, but I should have the option to choose. I can weigh the cost to benefits myself, and don't need big brother to tell me what I need!
    Will these mandates not increase health insurance costs for everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post

Insurance companies have always been able to sell limited benefit policies to those who chose a less expensive coverage. That doesn't mean that's all they sell or available. Every policy I've sold for the past 20 years have unlimited lifetime maximums, individuals/groups cannot be terminated except for non payment of premium and dependents are eligible to age 24, 25 or 26 depending on the state. Consumers have always had the right to appeal insurers decisions to their state insurance department which oversees insurance regulations and of course they have always had the right to litigate.

The only thing that has changed for those who have purchased coverage from legitimate carriers through licensed insurance professionals is the premiums are increasing to cover other provisions of the bill which make it almost impossible for carriers to make a profit (that's still OK isn't it?). Oh, because of Obamacare, my compensation will probably be reduced 50% on individual policies in force 1/1/11. We don't know about group policies yet. Because of this, the public will see a reduction in independent agents. Why does that matter? Primarily, independent agents represent more than one company so the consumer can get several quotes for shopping comparison, help with claim disputes, service, etc. Consumers will be left to purchase policies from salaried employees who represent one company.

I could go on, but I would be beating a dead horse. You have your liberal something for nothing mind made up. I don't know what you do for a living but I can't help but wonder how you would react if the government told you how to make your widgets, what your widgets should do, the design of your widget, how much to charge and how much you can make. My guess is you wouldn't like it very much. What you would probably like is the government forcing the public to buy your widgets only they really don't have to buy it until you can't charge enough to produce it.

There is an article in the Washington Examiner today about how after 6 months, Obamacare is already costing much more than predicted. Look it up if your a mind - but I doubt it.

enjoy what you asked for regards,

Mike Whitworth
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Children will be allowed to remain on parent's plans until age 26....only if they were already on the parent's plan. If they were un-insured and now seek to join the parent's plan, they can be refused apparently.

Also....

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/op...#ixzz10N84ui58

http://tinyurl.com/36a53dm

Examiner Editorial: Obamacare is even worse than critics thought
    September 22, 2010

Six months ago, President Obama, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi rammed Obamacare down the throats of an unwilling American public. Half a year removed from the unprecedented legislative chicanery and backroom dealing that characterized the bill's passage, we know much more about the bill than we did then. A few of the revelations:

-more-

Our single biggest hope is that one section will be declared unconstitutional because then the whole 2000+ page bill will be tossed. The idiots in Congress were rushing so much to pass it that they reportedly forgot to add a severability clause.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Johnson; 09-23-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterDogRem View Post
    Don't agree that Young adults should be allowed to cling on parents insurance till 26 y.o.! The only way I could agree with that is if full-time enrollment in college/school can be proven.
    I agree this will help some people, however, companies should not have to be limited to the coverage plans offered. Unlimited lifetime amounts of course will & should cost more, but I should have the option to choose. I can weigh the cost to benefits myself, and don't need big brother to tell me what I need!
    Will these mandates not increase health insurance costs for everyone?
    I agree with you. Unless full-time enrollment as you say, or I would also add disabled/mentally retarded situations as well. But for Jethro who just wants to live in the Clampett mansion............get a life!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!