The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ***OFFICIAL***2010-2011 Hunting Season POTUS Brag Thread

Default ***OFFICIAL***2010-2011 Hunting Season POTUS Brag Thread

Okay, guys (and girls). Hunting season is upon us and I think this would be an excellent opportunity to share something that we all enjoy and [hopefully]won't argue about... Use this thread to post pics or descriptions of your successes this season, regardless of game. Shoot, you can even post pics of your dog winning some titles if you're into that kind of thing... I figured that we should have our own brag thread since many of us POTUS regulars are much more accepted or comfortable here in our little RTF spin-off [extremely dysfunctional] family.

Here are the ground rules:
    1. NO politics on this thread
    2. NO mention of Bush, unless your dog had to go retrieve a bird from one.
    3. NO mention of Obama, unless his dog gets some FT or HT ribbons
    4. NO calling someone's dog ugly, even if my girl is a dudley...
    5. NO arguing or name calling, unless it is deserved.
    6. NO photoshopped pics to make it look like you actually killed more birds than you did...
    7. Do not post pictures of your take from your state's birds of prey season. We don't want to see your hawks, owls, eagles, etc...
    8. ENJOY THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!

Any more rules I need to add?

Can we get a mod to make this a sticky?(Please)

I'll start...

The day my dog finally realized why I keep dragging her out to hunt with me...Got my limit and she retrieved 13/15 for her first 'real' hunting retrieves ever.

My brother and I went bowhunting for elk on the Utah/Colorado border the first week of this month..we hunted hard for 4 days,camped out,ate freeze dried meals and drank cowboy coffee...on the last day,the last hour, the last 15 minutes of shooting time this huge cow elk comes lurking out of the woods to take a drink at the seep that we had set up at.

Clint shot her with a handmade Herb Meland longbow with homemade cedar shafted arrows and a 165 gr broadhead..at 27 yds...I had a clear shot at 40 yds but as she closed so did my shooting lane...I thought he missed but when I found the arrow part of the shaft was broken and bloody..I found her about 75 yds away minutes later,dead as door...the broadhead hit her behind her leg and literally sliced her heart like a surgeon. it took the two of us over 4 hrs to remove the backstraps, both hams, and shoulders and pack her out the 2 miles plus back to camp (I hope he buys an ATV for next year) ..both the hams weighed in at over 90 lbs each, the backstraps at 30# each..we brought in just under 300 # to the butcher (netted almost 175# of processed elk)

We estimated her live weight at 400-450 lbs..it was the most physically demanding hunt I have ever been on but one of the most rewarding..just talking about hunting and dog training, no politics, no family, just guy talk...

we hiked from base camp to the top of the peak each day, twice, about 2 miles each way at 9k ft elev.

when we got back to Idaho the taxidermist had sent my nephew Cole's 50# king salmon that he caught on the Kenai in Alaska

All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Wow Bon, very cool hunting trip. That is a BIG elk! Speaking of cool...we shot doves opening day, I got a limit and so did 2 of the 4 we were with, but since shooting time wasn't til noon and it was warm, we didn't take dogs. The only thing I'm killing right now is stink bugs, they've reached plague proportions. And, it's 98 degrees...again. I hope to have some hunting photos later in the season. I'm curious to see if my 'project pup' a 43 lb. mini Peake, can pick up a goose.

Nice work Bon! That sounds like a really awesome hunting trip.

Hopefully, I'll have another limit of doves Saturday morning. Gotta get my dog tuned up for the real hunting season!

We're making this a habit.

Banned

no huntin' pic or title, just the 2nd master pass. we are now 2 for 4 and hopefully on a roll!

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    no huntin' pic or title, just the 2nd master pass. we are now 2 for 4 and hopefully on a roll!

That is a beautiful dog, DG. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post

Nicely done Big Gibby!!!

RK (Lil' Gibby)
    Stan b & Elvis

We are excited about hunting ducks Sat.
    Opens at 9:00am????

Anyways, hope to at least see 1 and get a couple pics!!

Good luck everyone!!!

Team Elvis
    Stan b & Elvis